News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It costs $200 (nomination fee in cash, certified cheque or money order payable to the "Treasurer, City of Toronto". Debit or credit cards are not accepted.) to put one's name on the list of candidates for mayor of Toronto. 40 are still on the list. 13 withdrew their names from the list.

Since Friday, September 10, 2010 was the last day to withdraw their name officially from the list, if a candidate does withdraw, their name will be on the ballot (somewhere).

^ so are you saying you think the "undecided" number will be only 3%?

I think the number of undecideds is going to hover around 20% for a couple weeks until the alternative to Ford shakes down. I think those 20% aren't debating on whether to vote for Ford. They're trying to figure out who on the other side of the coin they should go with (which combined with my voting analysis a few pages back is a huge reason why Ford won't win in my opinion).In my opinion, polls that tell us 1 in 5 people are undecided don't tell us a whole lot anyways really. I'm not sure why anyone makes a big deal out of them.

I'd assume that's decided ... and other would be 3%.

The 2006 voter turnout for the City of Toronto was 39.3%. That number was down from the previous election.

For a map of the turnout by ward click on this link. The lowest turnout was in ward 1 at 33%. The highest turnout was in ward 21 at 47%. Maybe one question to be asked is "will you be voting"?

The 2006 voter turnout for the City of Toronto was 39.3%. That number was down from the previous election.

For a map of the turnout by ward click on this link. The lowest turnout was in ward 1 at 33%. The highest turnout was in ward 21 at 47%. Maybe one question to be asked is "will you be voting"?
I'm not sure the relationship between polling and election turnout. Generally studies have indicated that the voter preference among those who vote and those who don't is very similar ... though occasionally things that will happen which will get a particular group out in greater numbers ...

Very unscientific, but it's what we got while we wait for a real poll. The OneStop poll:

Ford : 27%

Thomson : 23%

Pantalone : 18%

Rossi : 17%

Smitherman : 15%

Funny, that's how I hoped (within realistic confines) the next poll would look like. Of course, I'd love to see Rob Ford at the bottom but within realistic expectations, I'd like to see Thomson and Pantalone become the challengers to Ford.

Smitherman in last place? Really?

Like I said, it's a very unscientific poll. It's skewed to younger people, many of which won't even vote.

That said, the percentage difference between last place and third is very small. Things can change wildly when most candidates poll that close together.

Why do you love to see the East Gardiner come down? Public policies should have good reasons, especially when it costs millions of dollars. "I'd love to" doesn't really cut it. For example, I'd love to see you pay $9 billion into the city to cover its budget, but that's probably not going to happen.

People can dream, can't they? (or do we need a permit for that too?)

You think it would cost 9 BILLION to tear down the east part of the Gardiner? Really? I find that hard to believe.

I want the Gardiner down for 2 main reasons. Firstly I hate to walk under it and secondly I think it limits the ability to make the waterfront a great place, especially near the Don River where it runs right beside the water. It's ugly as hell, noisy, unpleasant and I hope it comes down and is replaced with something really impressive. Sherbourne Commons will be the start of building impressive structures on the waterfront and I want to see more of that bold, iconic kind of design. Sherbourne park, as far as I can see, will be something really special. I've never seen anything like it before. When you open up the waterfront to new ideas, wonderful, transformative things can happen. I guess I'm a dreamer, in a world of status quo people.

Tear down the ugly and bring on the iconic.

Last edited:
I read that Rob Ford said, people in Toronto don't care about the waterfront. I can't speak for anyone else but I know I do, very much! I find it inconcievable that anybody who lives in Toronto, would care nothing about the waterfront. I just can't relate to that.

Huh? Either you guys want to develop waterfront or not, make up your mind. The Gardiner does not hinder either Condos or "wasted area". (Yes, having industry on the waterfront is a waste unless you want to dump waste water directly into the lake. While you are at it, why not build a car factory on top of the CN tower). Rob Ford probably wouldn't care as long as you don't waste the money to do studies upon studies or build a highway and then stop in the middle of nowhere.

Ah, but you ignored this point I made...

And on the whole, maybe it's better to be momentarily "wasted area" a la the East Gardiner than to be execrable condo chaos a la the Motel Strip--then again, if you're in the Ford camp, you're probably an urban philistine, so it means little to you...

So it isn't just the condos etc, it's the *way* that you do them.

It's like: suppose you've got a medical condition that requires treatment. Not so critical that it has to be done immediately, right this instant; but you're feeling antsy and want it done ASAP, anyway. Which means, rather than waiting forever for a hospital appointment, you go to Dr. Nick Riviera who can do it today, for cheap, no questions asked.

riviera_nick.gif

Internal Polls reveal Ford double digit lead

Royson James in TheStar:

James: Nervous city builders seek a Ford-slayer

Private polling by Councillor Rob Ford’s opponents shows the candidate’s hard-right, “end of waste†agenda still resonates with voters and he has a double-digit lead in the Toronto mayor’s race.

Cornered at the Star’s editorial board this week, mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson wouldn’t give an inch, even as she voiced the fears of Toronto’s civic leaders

“I think it would be scary, yes,†Thomson said of Ford as mayor.

So, will she drop out if it becomes clear she might siphon enough votes to allow Ford to squeak out a win over, say, second-place candidate George Smitherman?

“I will not drop out,†she told the board.

Just as the city’s elite feared.

Deputy Mayor Joe “Stand Pat†Pantalone considers such suggestions an insult to his near three decades of city hall residency. So he’s staying in.

Rocco “Tunnel Vision†Rossi has raised so much money he can’t help but press on, screaming louder as fewer voters listen to now-desperate ideas. He may be running last among the Big 5, descending into irrelevancy. Besides, a lot of his votes might go to Ford as their second choice.

And Smitherman? ‘Furious George’ Smitherman, who’s managed to turn a massive springtime lead into an embarrassing second-place standing at Labour Day?

Bluntly, “George has had a tough time finding his groove,†admits one campaign insider.

The broad-based, multi-party civic guardians and self-styled city builders know they have about two weeks to find a champion. A chosen one from Pantalone, Rossi, Smitherman or Thomson might be recast as the slayer of the dragon from Etobicoke, a.k.a. Rob Ford, the anti-establishment, anti-everything candidate whose popularity has shocked and horrified the studied crowd.

For if Ford has a double-digit lead into mid-October, momentum alone will propel him into office.

At the University of Toronto last week, on a night to celebrate winners of the Jane Jacobs prize for city building, the grey-haired brigade openly fretted and fussed about the prospects of Ford occupying the second-floor corner office overlooking Nathan Phillips Square.

“I don’t know who to vote for,†they say, agitated.

“What’s happened to George? He doesn’t . . . er, connect.â€

The night before, as they marked the 45th anniversary of the opening of city hall, probably Toronto’s most significant building in modern times, one Rosedale matron clenched her fist, fumed at Smitherman’s inability to fend off Ford, and implored a reporter: “You’ve got to do something.â€

Former Toronto Mayor David Crombie has heard the concerns.

“It is true, they are nervous. People are perplexed,†Crombie says. “I don’t think I’ve seen it quite like this in a long time.

“They don’t know what to do, and it’s not becoming any easier†as the candidates flail away with wild campaign promises — a strategy some describe as “swinging for the fences†in a desperate bid for attention.

As such, the next opinion poll from an independent polling agency will serve as a rallying cry, as the possibility of a Ford victory becomes real.

“That might begin to sort out the field, provide greater focus and clarity and reveal a mix of strategy . . . calculated decisions,†Crombie said.

In other words, find the candidate most likely to stop Ford. And conventional wisdom suggests the progressives will give Smitherman the call, almost by default.

Rossi’s camp has veered too far right. Progressives are even wishing his numbers will improve, to keep votes away from Ford.

Pantalone, a decent, competent NDPer, doomed his candidacy by offering little that was new. He wasn’t even the top choice of the left. Adam Giambrone was, before blowing up his candidacy in a sex scandal. Pantalone is trying to protect Mayor David Miller’s legacy but wasn’t Miller’s top choice. And he’s hamstrung by a lack of campaign donations.

Thomson’s resume is too thin. No one expects her to be standing at the end. The majority of her supporters would go to Smitherman, if stopping Ford is the goal.

So, once it becomes clear Ford is ensconced in first place, watch for movement away from Pantalone and Thomson, even though the candidates stay in the race. There’s precedent: Barbara Hall’s vote collapsed and migrated to Miller in 2003, thwarting John Tory.

Will it be enough for Smitherman? That’s why people are nervous.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/862978--james-nervous-city-builders-seek-a-ford-slayer

Yet, if Miller was running, he'd win. People can't be that angry.

Right wingers are angry and they will always be angry if a conservative is not in power federally, provincially and municipally. How mad were they when Mulroney took 300,000 dollars under the table and forgot to claim it as income? Then took over a million in taxpayer's dollars because he swore under oath, it was all a big, Liberal lie. (and he was gonna sue) So, when the truth came out, did you see a Conservative uprising demanding back the million dollars he got from us? Nope! What does that tell you about the angry hoards who hate waste? They pic and choose who they get angry at. Funny thing is, Miler was never accused of stealing money, taking bribes or anything unethical. He just tried to help out the down-and-out and improve the city. Yeah, we live in crazy times. Too many people up here are watching Glan Beck and falling for the lies.

Relax, MetroMan. It's early. You've posted like four different predictions in the past two pages alone.

Ford's lead isn't going anywhere until at least October 1st. Several candidates - Smitherman & Pantalone especially - don't even appear to have spent a ton of money at this point. Others appear to be near their limit (Rossi). There are several key endorsements still out there (John Tory, especially), and the provincial Liberal machine seems to be ramping up behind George.

That's not to say that Ford couldn't win - he very much could. But if I were a campaign manager right now, I'd be wanting to keep him as the frontrunner for a while yet. Hold off any big moves until October and try to control the narrative until the end.

Back