News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Beat Smitherman with the most dependable weapon available: the truth.

Every newspaper article I've read where Smitherman and Rob Ford are together reports that Smitherman is resorting to low blow attacks and dirty tricks. Smitherman talks about Fords temper at one time and now about his father's record. What does that have to do with Smitherman's platform? Ford on the other hand has taken the high road and not taken shots at Smitherman's outrageous track record of mismanagement. Smitherman can't seem to ignore Ford and detail his platform at these meetings. It's clear that Smitherman is terribly afraid of Ford winning to resort to such American-style negative attacks. Ford is going to win this race to the astonishment of the media and Smitherman.

Yes, I said that? So? The guy is trash!

Answer the question I raised then "How is he going to get consensus? Scream at people until they vote his way? Sit on them?" I'm just amazed you are spending so much energy trying to justify the actions of such a horrible person.

Wow, what a class act, fine specimen of humanity we have here before us calling people trash. :rolleyes:

Tip: The Left and Right exchanging barbs ad nauseum is not the way to acheive consensus. When we've got people like Adam Vaughan publically humiliating Ford in the press I find it highly hypocritical of you to expect him to just turn around and pretend like it didn't happen. Sounds like the Left wants to have its cake and eat it too, insult whomever they please then cry victim whenever it suits their agenda.

It's exactly as I called it. Ford is climbing up the ranks because he's the only one that gets the frustration of suburban residents who feel that they've seen very little real progress under Miller. I hope people finally understand why Ford is a real threat and he has a winnable chance.

That said, other politicians can addrress that outer 416 frustration. The biggest complaint is transit. And when suburbanites talk of transit they mean GO Trains and subways. They don't care for trams that'll knock off 5-10 mins off their bus ride. And here Smitherman might actually have a shot. I don't know why he doesn't pitch his plan more to contrast it with Ford's lack of a plan.

Yes, I said that? So? The guy is trash!

Answer the question I raised then "How is he going to get consensus? Scream at people until they vote his way? Sit on them?"

That will probably work, considering how most of the ndp councillors crumble to their union supporters, I'm sure a little Rob Ford rant would straighten their act together.

I think ford will publicly oust them everytime they kick mess up, and so, fear for their own skins, they will side with Ford on many controversial issues.

Last edited:
Wow, what a class act, fine specimen of humanity we have here before us calling people trash.
The guy is a wife-beating homophobic racist. And he has also demonsrated that he has a continuing substance abuse problem. Furthermore, he has demonstrated time, and time again that he doesn't have the skills to work as a team, or often even to understand the issues involved in the debate. His community council attendance record is almost the worst in the city.

Ford is trash. End of story. If he were ever to become mayor, we would become, once-again, the laughing stock of the country. I'm shocked anyone who understand the issues would eer consider voting him ... and as time progresses, I'm having a hard time believing you are more than just a casual observer on this.

Fresh Start, do you have any links to Rob Ford, his campaign, or campaign staff?

Seems safe to say that nfitz is not on the Rob Ford team or that of anyone else either. It must be a terrible burden to be so much brighter than everyone else in town and have to remind us constantly how incredibly stupid we all are.

It must be a terrible burden to be so much brighter than everyone else in town and have to remind us constantly how incredibly stupid we all are.
Those defending that idiot seem to be a very small minority here.

BTW, I'm not supporting any candidate - at least at this time. But I don't feel that any major candidate is as unqualified or incompetent as Ford - though Mammoliti runs a close second ... but has little support. Quite frankly, the field is pretty shallow - and I don't think any of them are a great choice.

If there's any chance Ford (or Mammoliti) would be elected, I'd probably vote strategically ... but I'd be shocked if the Toronto Star doesn't hang Ford out to dry at some point during the election if he shows any sign of winning.

Last edited:
The guy is a wife-beating homophobic racist. And he has also demonsrated that he has a continuing substance abuse problem. Furthermore, he has demonstrated time, and time again that he doesn't have the skills to work as a team, or often even to understand the issues involved in the debate. His community council attendance record is almost the worst in the city.

Ford is trash. End of story. If he were ever to become mayor, we would become, once-again, the laughing stock of the country. I'm shocked anyone who understand the issues would eer consider voting him ... and as time progresses, I'm having a hard time believing you are more than just a casual observer on this.

Fresh Start, do you have any links to Rob Ford, his campaign, or campaign staff?

I've never met the man in my life. I did send him a few emails though addressing my concerns, and he replied within a day or two. He just seems to stand for the same things that I do: cancel Transit City, build more subways, fix the road network, downsize the bureaucracy, privatize some essential services, slash taxes, build more affordable housing, create job programs for disenfranchised youth, etc. You know, things that make sense. I wouldn't go throwing stones in glass houses, btw, since apparently there's another reformed substance abuse user in this race.

Oh and Toronto already became the laughing stock of the country when Comrade Miller allowed under his watch, a 39 day long garbage strike in the height of Toronto's fleeting summer tourism season.

btw, since apparently there's another reformed substance abuse user in this race.
I've already written on why Smitherman shouldn't be major either. While clearly a better choice than Ford, his inability to work in a team, or even understand Toronto issues, is well known. However, I haven't seen any reports of Smitherman being arrested, or using since the last Toronto election.

I appreciate you honesty about your (lack of) relationship with Ford.

Oh and Toronto already became the laughing stock of the country when Comrade Miller allowed under his watch, a 39 day long garbage strike in the height of Toronto's fleeting summer tourism season.
Surely, the use of the phase "Comrade Miller" serves to discredit absolutely everything you say. Miller has never, to my knowledge, ever been a communist. Why are you trying to deceive people about this?

And a 39-day garbage strike? Good grief, it wasn't that bad! Compare to the 95-day strike in Windsor. With garbage only picked up once every 14-days, all you do is miss a single pick-up, and you have a 28-day backlog! I have a hard-time seeing how any resident had any real garbage problems - I didn't even have to pull the second garbage can out from under the deck (though I did make use of a second green bin, and had started piling newspapers in the basement, rather than recycling).

Besides, you can't have it both ways - either he's too tough with the union, or he is too pro-union.

Last edited:
Please explain how you (or Rob Ford, for that matter) would "build more subways, fix the road network, [...] build more affordable housing, create job programs for disenfranchised youth, etc." while slashing more municipal taxes, not taking on long-term debt, and given provincial+federal disinterest in funding those kind of programs beyond existing transfers and commitments. Where are the funds for those kinds of programmes?

The mayor "allow" a strike? Clearly, your understanding of labour law is rather limited in suggesting that the mayor can approve or deny the ability of workers to strike. And contracting out is no guarantee against the ability of workers under contract to conduct strikes against their private employers either, just in case you wanted to argue that one can avoid this issue if the service is privatized.

He just seems to stand for the same things that I do: cancel Transit City, build more subways, fix the road network, downsize the bureaucracy, privatize some essential services, slash taxes, build more affordable housing, create job programs for disenfranchised youth, etc.

Councillors vote overwhelmingly for affordable housing plan
Published at 3:05 pm on May 26, 2009
Toronto city council voted nearly unanimously this morning to adopt an action plan for housing.
With the exception of Rob Ford, council passed a resolution that will address public housing issues.
Ford disagreed with the proposal on the grounds it supports the funding of new housing units while existing structures are in urgent need of repair.
http://www.newsfix.ca/2009/05/26/co...mingly-for-affordable-housing-plan/#more-1122

People do not want government housing built in the city of Toronto. They want roads fixed, more police presence, but they don't want more government housing that will depreciate the value of their property.
-- Rob Ford July, 2005

AoD

Last edited:

Back