News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Whenever I see these newscasts of musicians and vocalists singing or playing from their window or balcony I say to myself as I sit enjoying the silence from my front porch, thank gawd that’s not here. Silence is not a depressing vacuum needing to be filled. If I had an opera soloist living across from me who broke into whatever the fat lady sings about I’d be going inside.

Whenever I see these newscasts of musicians and vocalists singing or playing from their window or balcony I say to myself as I sit enjoying the silence from my front porch, thank gawd that’s not here. Silence is not a depressing vacuum needing to be filled. If I had an opera soloist living across from me who broke into whatever the fat lady sings about I’d be going inside.

There was a hardcore rave at a high rise complex in Rotterdam where the DJs were blasting the choons from a balcony on multi-thousand W speakers. That really would have done you in. That's my jam so I would have loved it, but I'm with you on this one. Silence is calming and beautiful.

There was a US healthcare worker on Reddit who said that while he appreciated the support he wanted people to stop the banging of pots and pans, clapping and singing at various times of the day.

His reasoning was that while it is appreciated by healthcare workers, they work various different shifts and need sleep between shifts in order to be fresh for work. He quite correctly stated that banging pots and pans, clapping and singing is counterproductive as it wakes up all the healthcare workers who need sleep in order to keep everyone safe.

All those people making god awful noise may be wide awake but not everyone is. Healthcare workers work overnights too, not just during the day.

clapping and singing is counterproductive as it wakes up all the healthcare workers who need sleep in order to keep everyone safe.
My next door neighbour is a nurse at Sunnybrook who works rotating night/day shifts. We share a driveway, and even before Covid19 I always make sure to roll down my noisy garbage bins when she’s at work. It‘s common courtesy, and easy for this fan of silence.

My next door neighbour is a nurse at Sunnybrook who works rotating night/day shifts. We share a driveway, and even before Covid19 I always make sure to roll down my noisy garbage bins when she’s at work. It‘s common courtesy, and easy for this fan of silence.

And that's exactly it. People sometimes fail to realise how hard it can be to get back to sleep once you are woken up. Even moving bins can wake some people up.

If I was healthcare worker woken up by clapping I'd open my window and tell them to stfu.

Saw this on Amazon while looking up what options they have for toilet paper lol:

1587954484826.png

Proposed class-action suit alleges care homes failed to respond to COVID-19

By Betsy Powell Courts Reporter
Sun., April 26, 2020

A legal document claims that a resident of Eatonville Care Centre in Etobicoke complained about being neglected before dying of COVID-19 on April 11, and the first time his family received any indication that he was suffering from the disease was when they received the death certificate.

The allegation — which has not been proven — is contained in a proposed class-action lawsuit filed in Ontario Superior Court on Friday that alleges the defendant, Responsive Group Inc., failed to “properly and adequately plan for and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Responsive Group and its subsidiaries operate multiple long-term-care homes in Ontario, including three in Toronto and one Mississauga. The statement of claim alleges the defendants breached their duties of care by “failing, in the homes that they own, to ensure adequate staffing to care for the elderly residents, and by failing to comply with public health guidance, directives, and other requirements issued by the provincial and federal government.”

The statement of claim says that as of April 23, 71 people living in the defendants’ homes have died — more than 10 per cent of COVID-19 related deaths in Ontario. “In most cases, they died alone without their families and loved ones at their side. In many cases, family members of those who died were not even aware that their parents and grandparents were sick.”

I feel like there will be a number of lawsuits.

There should be.

Actions that were advised, mandated etc early on, were not followed in many homes; even where this was extremely easy to do.

People can and should be held accountable for decision making that was at best, poor, and at worst a tort, a crime, or both.

Note here that I am making a general statement and not applying that to any specific home............

Last edited:
Proposed class-action suit alleges care homes failed to respond to COVID-19

By Betsy Powell Courts Reporter
Sun., April 26, 2020

A legal document claims that a resident of Eatonville Care Centre in Etobicoke complained about being neglected before dying of COVID-19 on April 11, and the first time his family received any indication that he was suffering from the disease was when they received the death certificate.

The allegation — which has not been proven — is contained in a proposed class-action lawsuit filed in Ontario Superior Court on Friday that alleges the defendant, Responsive Group Inc., failed to “properly and adequately plan for and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Responsive Group and its subsidiaries operate multiple long-term-care homes in Ontario, including three in Toronto and one Mississauga. The statement of claim alleges the defendants breached their duties of care by “failing, in the homes that they own, to ensure adequate staffing to care for the elderly residents, and by failing to comply with public health guidance, directives, and other requirements issued by the provincial and federal government.”

The statement of claim says that as of April 23, 71 people living in the defendants’ homes have died — more than 10 per cent of COVID-19 related deaths in Ontario. “In most cases, they died alone without their families and loved ones at their side. In many cases, family members of those who died were not even aware that their parents and grandparents were sick.”

A lot of those "relaxed" regulations come from the Ontario government, based on lobbying from the executives of the co-called "care" residences.

See https://www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca/index.php/category/key-issues/long-term-care-chronic-care/

Ok, I haven't seen this data for too many jurisdictions yet, so I'm posting this here as a matter of interest.

Its the cause of death, # of death list for Michigan for 2019, and 2020 YTD.

Given that Michigan has been a hotspot for Covid, its a point of interest to see these.

1587997628476.png

This is taken from: https://www.mdch.state.mi.us/osr/Provisional/MontlyDxCounts.asp

Looking at March which is the only applicable month for which he have full numbers from both years:

We have 339 Covid deaths.

We have 419 total accretive deaths (deaths greater than last year)

Michigan has population growth, but its fairly nominal, under 0.1%

So for March, total deaths up 4.9%, of which Covid accounted for 81% of the increase.

The preliminary numbers of April suggest a worsening problem where the Covid numbers will be more substantially more prominent. (at least 3x worse, but possibly up to 7x)

For comparison to Ontario:

We have 892 Covid deaths total, as of Today.

Those Michigan numbers are up to 7 days behind and show 1,333 deaths on a population about 1/3 smaller than Ontario's.

Back