News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

^I similarly wonder as I observe peoples behaviour in the City how it’s possible that Covid 19 has infected so few people. The only conclusion is that covid-19 is much less vigorous and contagious than it is in our imaginations.

That said we need to appreciate that there is only so much that we can do to control an outcome. No matter how careful or aware you are much in this universe is left to random chance. At the individual level the most careless person could run the gauntlet while the most careful could get infected from a single unintended interaction.

I recall there was a large study of cancer that suggested that everything you can do to prevent cancer only accounts for a 40% lower chance of getting cancer. All the everything we know people could do from diet, exercise, environment, vocational, stress reduction, proactive medical intervention etc. can’t cut cancer risk by half. That still makes cutting your risk worth it but if you were a religious person you’d say the 60% is in God’s hand no matter what you do

That said we need to appreciate that there is only so much that we can do to control an outcome. No matter how careful or aware you are much in this universe is left to random chance. At the individual level the most careless person could run the gauntlet while the most careful could get infected from a single unintended interaction.

That's an excuse for failure - we *know* from the examples of other countries that it isn't because there is only so much we can do, but because there is so much we did not, and are unwilling to do at a personal, community, provincial and national level.

AoD

Last edited:
Einstein once said that there are two things that are infinite: the universe and stupidity. He's not sure about the former, though.

I think the situationp
^I similarly wonder as I observe peoples behaviour in the City how it’s possible that Covid 19 has infected so few people. The only conclusion is that covid-19 is much less vigorous and contagious than it is in our imaginations.

I recall there was a large study of cancer that suggested that everything you can do to prevent cancer only accounts for a 40% lower chance of getting cancer. All the everything we know people could do from diet, exercise, environment, vocational, stress reduction, proactive medical intervention etc. can’t cut cancer risk by half. That still makes cutting your risk worth it but if you were a religious person you’d say the 60% is in God’s hand no matter what you do

True but being healthy and dealing with cancer and being 300 pounds with diabetes with cancer is a different ball game. Now not always and I can't seem to find the research around it clearly but I think it's like COVID 19. Being healthy and getting COVID vs being obese and getting COVID.

I am not sure the stats but my mother being a very healthy 55-year-old when she got to stage 4 throat cancer really helped her chances. She got really weak and near the cliff edge that would have easily ended a person who had other health issues. (she is fine now isolating with her sister in a farmhouse in Caledon recovered)

U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump test positive for COVID-19

See link.

President Donald Trump said early Friday that he and first lady Melania Trump have tested positive for the coronavirus, a stunning announcement that plunges the country deeper into uncertainty just a month before the presidential election.

Trump, who has spent much of the year downplaying the threat of a virus that has killed more than 205,000 Americans, said he and Mrs. Trump were quarantining. The White House physician said the president is expected to continue carrying out his duties “without disruption” while recovering...

Ontario is reporting 732 cases of #COVID19 as nearly 40,100 tests were completed. Locally, there are 323 new cases in Toronto, 141 in Ottawa and 111 in Peel. 58% of today’s cases are in people under the age of 40. There are 428 more resolved cases.

Ontario is reporting 732 cases of #COVID19 as nearly 40,100 tests were completed. Locally, there are 323 new cases in Toronto, 141 in Ottawa and 111 in Peel. 58% of today’s cases are in people under the age of 40. There are 428 more resolved cases.

Christine Elliot noted that these numbers included updates to case counts from the spring and summer.

This has me wondering why they feel the need to include or subtract cases that were dealt with months ago. It is not helpful.

15 new TDSB schools with cases in the last 48 hours, for a total of 78 schools.

Seriously, the schools will turn out to be loci for community transmissions - as had been the case in other countries. Also, I can understand that it is difficult to build testing capacity back in March/April - but 6 months later, we are still bottlenecked? In the meantime, someone has time for a cross-Ontario feel-good tour?

AoD

Last edited:
Seriously, the schools with turn out to be loci for community transmissions - as had been the case in other countries. Also, I can understand that it is difficult to build testing capacity back in March/April - but 6 months later, we are still bottlenecked? In the meantime, someone has time for a cross-Ontario feel-good tour?

AoD

There are fives cases at Martingrove Collegiate, but it's still open. That's baffling.

Back