News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Seriously, the schools will turn out to be loci for community transmissions - as had been the case in other countries. Also, I can understand that it is difficult to build testing capacity back in March/April - but 6 months later, we are still bottlenecked? In the meantime, someone has time for a cross-Ontario feel-good tour?

AoD

I live across from a school and I am keeping a close eye on the TDSB website. I am very interested to know if the school in my area has confirmed cases as it will impact my life living in the area.

There are so many students and parents walking around that if the school has cases it could impact the people living in the surrounding neighbourhood.

Christine Elliot noted that these numbers included updates to case counts from the spring and summer.

This has me wondering why they feel the need to include or subtract cases that were dealt with months ago. It is not helpful.

Not all the numbers, just the deaths - 76 were added today.

So I don't think anyone mentioned this............so I will.

The backlog of tests is now at 90000.

Current processing capacity seems to top out at about 40000.

The usuable life of the current swab test for Covid is 3 days.

My understanding though is that 'urgent tests always take priority.

Which means that some portion of new tests go to the front of the line each day.

We're perilously close to having to ask people to get re-tested.

Ontario Implementing Additional Public Health and Testing Measures to Keep People Safe

Not impressed. Somewhat stricter occupancy limits in bars/restaurants/gyms, appointment-only assessments.

It's BS window dressing that gives the illusion of action.

Which means that some portion of new tests go to the front of the line each day.

They had 6 months to prepare for this - and they failed utterly at that challenge. Not failing despite having done all that is possible but still come up short - but failing because time was squandered and nothing was done differently to prepare.

AoD

Last edited:

My wife has been getting tested to visit her dad in LTC. Previous results were back in a few days. Her last test was 10 days ago - no results yet and the visit is tomorrow; a visit which may or not be the last in a while. I say "may or may not" because nobody has any idea of implications of the government's recent announcements about LTC visits.

My wife has been getting tested to visit her dad in LTC. Previous results were back in a few days. Her last test was 10 days ago - no results yet and the visit is tomorrow; a visit which may or not be the last in a while. I say "may or may not" because nobody has any idea of implications of the government's recent announcements about LTC visits.

You, your wife, and her dad deserve better.

Same story with a friend of mine. She's been doing the test regularly as well to visit her mom; this time she wasn't able to get an appointment in time. She's concerned about the potential changes as well.

^That doesn't surprise me. My sister and two of her kids got tested (minor cold symptoms at a time prior to the change in school child symptom guidance). Her first child got a result after 24 hrs. Her result came in after 48 hrs. Her youngest child's result never came in.

They're actively rationalizing tests. As asymptomatic I wouldn't be surprised if your wife never gets her result. Entirely predictable as I mentioned earlier in the summer and even by my back-of-envelope calculation earlier in September suggesting we needed 80,000 tests per day in Ontario just to function with schools open (not including any peek surge in cases).

I have had a cough, headache for last few days. No fever. I am just isolating, but it would be nice if I could get a test without waiting for 6 hours.

You, your wife, and her dad deserve better.

She is rightfully concerned because between February and August when she could not visit, both her (via phone conversations) and the staff have noticed that his mental decline has increased. This cannot be directly contributed to the lockdown, he is, after all, 99, but one wonders. Beyond family visits, they did have a fairly extensive program of daily entertainment and all sorts of diversion activity; all of which curtailed.

Back