News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

AFAIK, only Shopper's is doing that type of pre-screening because it's designed for those who need a test for work, to visit LTCs, to return to school or whatever. But there's no Shopper's doing tests in many areas, so everyone has to go to the testing centre. It's far from efficient!

Also, I am curious as to how they ascertain that someone with symptoms or contacts are the ones actually getting the slots via online booking. One of those please check yes if you have... button? I am *sure* that would be an effective screen. And even if it is - a broad spectrum of COVID symptoms are so generic to colds and whatnot, it's pretty ineffective to self-determine.

AoD

What they need is to have a pre-screening service via doctor or dedicated telephone number.

Oh you mean like something like Telehealth that already exists? They would have to hire more people at a minimum (not sure of the actual capacity of the system).

What they need is to have a pre-screening service via doctor or dedicated telephone number.

Oh you mean like something like Telehealth that already exists? They would have to hire more people at a minimum (not sure of the actual capacity of the system).

I have some doubts as to the effectiveness of that kind of screening - if you are experiencing a geometric increase in overall infection, none of these tactics would be all that useful relative to expanding testing as much as possible. But that of course require foresight.

AoD

I am thinking of a dedicated appointment booking line. Telehealth is impossible to get through to right now.

I am thinking of a dedicated appointment booking line. Telehealth is impossible to get through to right now.

Phone is probably the most inefficient/labour intensive way to do this - and should be reserved for those who aren't tech-savvy enough for online. The last thing you want is having to put someone on hold for hours. It's wasting everyone's time.

AoD

Phone is probably the most inefficient/labour intensive way to do this - and should be reserved for those who aren't tech-savvy enough for online. The last thing you want is having to put someone on hold for hours. It's wasting everyone's time.

AoD

Yes but anyone can click anything online. You would need to have a video conference online to pre-screen people booking appointments.

Yes but anyone can click anything online. You would need to have a video conference online to pre-screen people booking appointments.

I have some doubts about the effectiveness of distinguishing between low-grade COVID symptoms and your generic colds via videoconference - also not sure if it is the most effective way to use time either. Let's also step back and take a look at the bigger picture, which is to prevent spread - at this juncture since you can't find out whether it is truly COVID - the goal should be to assume anyone with COVID-like symptoms is positive and avoid contact. That's the message that should go out - if you have symptoms like these - self-isolate. Don't wait to act before you can get a test - act now. Just like we did in March/April - avoid unnecessary contacts, if you are sick stay home, treat anyone outside your household as potential carriers.

AoD

Last edited:
My doctor stopped doing video appointments and went to phone only because people couldn't deal with the video aspect. It wouldn't work for a significant number of people.

We need to focus on the testing system as a whole -- booking, getting the test, but also processing the test. None of these are working well and require increased capacity.

We need to focus on the testing system as a whole -- booking, getting the test, but also processing the test. None of these are working well and require increased capacity.

Unfortunately there is lead time - equipment, reagents, space, personnel - the provincial government sat on their hands and was busy making cheesecake, and now they have the best plan to show for it.

AoD

With Black Friday coming up I wonder if we will see further restrictions on malls and businesses in the next few weeks.

Back