News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The government of Ontario says it had been misinterpreting data on the number of people who've received both doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccination. The effect of it is the province was double-counting. So: Rather than 96,459 people with both doses it's more like 48k.
I'm trying to find a source on this but haven't yet (I believe you because there seem to have been a lot of data issues!)

On the importance of quality data.

German trials of Astra Zeneca show only a 6-8% efficacy rate for the vaccine among those over 65...........

.......but wait for it.

1611850742482.png

1611850394474.png

To be clear, this does not actually mean the vaccine is ineffective.

What it means is, that no reasonable conclusion can be drawn from the data set.

To read the entire thread, go here:

Last edited:
I think reducing harm to kids from remote learning is important. It is nowhere near as good as in-class instruction for young children. If those regions are at a low enough prevalence of infection having the kids return to school is a good idea.

I think reducing harm to kids from remote learning is important. It is nowhere near as good as in-class instruction for young children. If those regions are at a low enough prevalence of infection having the kids return to school is a good idea.

Kids aren't going to die learning at home. People die from Covid every single day. Our Covid numbers falling are because schools are shutdown.

Yes it's awful for the kids, but now we are dealing with these new Covid variants. If we had rapid testing in every school, like parts other US and other places in the world. We could be sending the kids back with minimal outbreaks. The NFL is doing rapid tests on football fans! :rolleyes:

Montreal is testing out the rapid test system at two schools.

Kids aren't going to die learning at home. People die from Covid every single day. Our Covid numbers falling are because schools are shutdown.
Loss of educational attainment has permanent effects on the future well-being of those children. How many children's futures are we willing to sacrifice to save each life?

Loss of educational attainment has permanent effects on the future well-being of those children. How many children's futures are we willing to sacrifice to save each life?

Future life trajectory is not deterministic; death is deterministic - there is no life trajectory to be had once that occurs.

AoD

And educational attainment can happen in many ways, not just in traditional public school settings.

No kidding - and the future well-being of any individual is determined by so many variables, of which education is but one factor. We don't even bother to try and address a good amount of the rest of these variables via public policy choices on a good day when there are no other lives at stake.

AoD

Okay, so we'll cross our fingers and hope the kids are okay, despite the statistical reality that some will be harmed.

We need to discuss more than transmission.

Transmission amongst otherwise healthy people, who by and large are resistant to the most serious outcomes of Covid, is not the same as deaths and serious negative outcomes.

That is not say that they don't overlap in some fashion.

But we need to get the goal straight. The goal is not avoidance of the spread of Covid for its own sake.

Not when it really has cost, hundreds if not thousands of lives in deferred cancer diagnosis and treatment and the same for cardiac and other serious conditions.

I'm not arguing for lesser or no restrictions, nor suggesting there isn't some relationship between spread and bad outcomes, self-evidently there is.

Rather, I do think we need to focus on the important results.

At the same time we can't ignore the negatives or secondary effects of the mitigation strategies we employ.

It does strike me that some people who don't have children, can work from home; and have a healthy, stable income to boot; manage to be rather dismissive of those whose circumstances are far less ideal.

Including homes with no internet or very poor internet, no computer, no cell phone just for the kids, nor any privacy because of a large household in small apartment, (think about being in a household of 6 in a 2 bedroom apartment......where are you watching your teacher from, assuming you have a computer? What if there are 3 or more school aged children in the home? How many computers do you need? How much bandwidth? )

What if your parents can't afford not to work, and you're home unsupervised, even at a young age?

Its rather more complex and challenging that people make out.

Last edited:
Including homes with no internet or very poor internet, no computer, no cell phone just for the kids, nor any privacy because of a large household in small apartment, (think about being in a household of 6 in a 2 bedroom apartment......where are you watching your teacher from, assuming you have a computer? What if there are 3 or more school aged children in the home? How many computers do you need? How much bandwidth? )

What if you parents can't afford not to work, and you're home unsupervised, even at a young age?

Its rather more complex and challenging that people make out.

The kids have survived this long, another few months won't make a difference. I haven't seen any mass protests in the streets complaining about school restrictions.

Back