News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

To be clear, the mandatory quarantine facilities-then-home only applies to air travel. I'm curious how the "increased surveillance" will be done; spare public health officials? Police? Ankle Bracelets? Because it's a federal order I'm not sure if bylaw personnel would be empowered. At home quarantine doesn't necessarily capture people visiting except by chance (or complaint).

I hope snowbirds who bopped off to the sunny south are watching the Canadian news.

News!
Disappointingly weak. At least there is an effective $2k fine for returning by air. This goes too easily on snowbirds though, who will just return by car.

Disappointingly weak. At least there is an effective $2k fine for returning by air. This goes too easily on snowbirds though, who will just return by car.

Redacted some parts...

From link.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday announced stricter restrictions on travelers in response to new, likely more contagious variants of the novel coronavirus — including making it mandatory for travelers to quarantine in a hotel at their own expense when they arrive in Canada and suspending airline service to Mexico and all Caribbean destinations until April 30.

Trudeau said in addition to the pre-boarding test Canada already requires, the government will be introducing mandatory PCR testing at the airport for people returning to Canada.
Travelers will then have to wait for up to three days at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which is expected to be more than $2000,” Trudeau said.

Those with negative test results will then be able to quarantine at home under significantly increased surveillance and enforcement.

The steep cost for the hotel stay includes the cost for a private PCR test, security, food and the cost of measures the designated hotels will have to take to keep their workers safe.

“The cost is a ballparking. This isn’t like any other facility. This is one where there has to be infection prevention control measures, security and other costs as well. It’s not just a regular stay at a hotel,” said Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer.

The prime minister said those with positive tests will be immediately required to quarantine in designated government facilities to make sure they’re not carrying variants of particular concern. .

Trudeau also said the government and Canada’s main airlines have agreed to suspend service to sun destinations right away. He said Air Canada, WestJet, Sunwing, and Air Transat are cancelling air service to all Caribbean destinations and Mexico starting Sunday until April 30.

“They will be making arrangements with their customers who are currently on a trip in these regions to organize their return flights,” Trudeau said.

He said starting next week, all international passenger flights must land at the following four airports: Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and Montreal.

“We will also, in the coming weeks, be requiring nonessential travelers to show a negative test before entry at the land border with the US, and we are working to stand up additional testing requirements for land travel,” Trudeau said.

Canada already requires those entering the country to self-isolate for 14 days and to present a negative COVID-19 test taken within three days before arrival.

Tam, Canada’s top health official, said that security contractors will be going door-to-door to check on returnees who are isolating at home.

The move to require a hotel stay upon return would discourage vacations as people would not want to have to quarantine at a hotel at their own expense upon return.

“It’s excellent. It’s a shame it’s this late. This is something they could have done ages ago,” said Dr. Andrew Morris, a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Toronto and the medical director of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program at Sinai-University Health Network.

“This is definitely a step in the right direction.”

More and more governments are thinking about ways to be more aggressive because of the new variants, delays in vaccines, the challenges with getting the population vaccinated and the strains on health care systems.

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said officials have been urging Canadians to cancel all nonessential travel and are trying to eliminate it.

“Unfortunately, some are making the choice to engage in nonessential travel. If they are going to make that choice, they should bear the full cost,” Blair said.

Trudeau also announced there will be a delay in part of the next shipment of the Moderna vaccine, which arrives next week. He said Canada will receive 78% of the expected amount, translating to 180,000 doses.

To be clear, the mandatory quarantine facilities-then-home only applies to air travel. I'm curious how the "increased surveillance" will be done; spare public health officials? Police? Ankle Bracelets? Because it's a federal order I'm not sure if bylaw personnel would be empowered. At home quarantine doesn't necessarily capture people visiting except by chance (or complaint).

I hope snowbirds who bopped off to the sunny south are watching the Canadian news.
My cousin who is due to come back end of Feb isn’t happy. But hey, they travelled during a pandemic with a travel advisory in place so I have no sympathy. Most snowbirds won’t be heading back for a while yet so will likely be hoping the restrictions will be lifted by the time they return.

I guess it depends how they got there. Non-essential land crossing has been restricted for months. Some do keep vehicles down there so I guess they could drive it back, or a rental but I don't know about the international one-way ins-and-outs of that. Or maybe they could book an aircraft in Buffalo and have a float deliver the car, like we heard about before Christmas. Man, ya gotta really hate winter to go through all of that.

And just because someone tests negative on arrival does not mean they won't develop COVID. I'd say have them stay in hotel for the 14 days. Australia should have good data on the latest presentation of COVID for these hotel-isolated cases.

I guess it depends how they got there. Non-essential land crossing has been restricted for months. Some do keep vehicles down there so I guess they could drive it back, or a rental but I don't know about the international one-way ins-and-outs of that. Or maybe they could book an aircraft in Buffalo and have a float deliver the car, like we heard about before Christmas. Man, ya gotta really hate winter to go through all of that.
Reportedly, people were having their cars floated across the border on a car carrier, and getting a helicopter flight from Hamilton to Buffalo. Anyone being that cute I feel deserves no leniency on quarantine measures on return.

Reportedly, people were having their cars floated across the border on a car carrier, and getting a helicopter flight from Hamilton to Buffalo. Anyone being that cute I feel deserves no leniency on quarantine measures on return.
Just heard of a friend of a friend who had their car freighted over to Detroit then hopped a commercial flight to Detroit, picked up the car and drove south

Last edited:

More theatre.

Even the air trips are exempt if the travel is "essential" from what I heard on the CBC. Because, you know, viruses only infect those who travel non-essentially.

Whatever essential travel is.

Place your bets:

I'm moving next week to a different unit in my building and four friends are coming to help me. Three of whom are single guys like me. One works from home. The other two have lost their jobs and don't leave the house except to come here, though I haven't seen the one since October. The other works in the film industry and is tested multiple times a week.

Anyway.......bets on whether or not we get tickets for congregating.

I'm paying 2:1

I feel like my neighbours are normal people and not likely to ring up the fuzz.

I don't know, is moving "essential" if my lease is up in this unit as of Monday?
Are you supposed to hire movers and not use friends as help?
What if I'm an "essential" worker? Do I get special treatment?
Should I be a good chump and just move everything myself?

Pandemic hysteria has rendered these sorts of decisions impossible to navigate. If one man's travel is essential is another man's move and need to not feel like he's on house arrest also essential?

Should I ring the fuzz on myself in a self-hating attempt to redeem myself to society?

Place your bets:

I'm moving next week to a different unit in my building and four friends are coming to help me. Three of whom are single guys like me. One works from home. The other two have lost their jobs and don't leave the house except to come here, though I haven't seen the one since October. The other works in the film industry and is tested multiple times a week.

I don't know, is moving "essential" if my lease is up in this unit as of Monday?

Pandemic hysteria has rendered these sorts of decisions impossible to navigate. If one man's travel is essential is another man's move and need to not feel like he's on house arrest also essential?

Should I ring the fuzz on myself in a self-hating attempt to redeem myself to society?

Yes, moving is an 'essential' act. (legally speaking); professional movers are essential workers.

People do it all the time w/o issue.

As long as you and your mates and wearing masks when in action, and not loitering about, I can't imaging anyone giving you a hard time.

Its not particularly likely otherwise, I should add; that would just be sensibly precautionary.

Place your bets:

You can move. People in the building across the street from me moved last week. No bylaw showed up or anything.

Back