News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

News from the Ford government, which continues to grasp at straws: "The province is making changes to encourage alternate level of care patients in hospitals who are waiting for a long-term care home placement to accept a placement in a home that may not be their preferred choice. Ontario is waiving co-payments for these patients until they can be transferred to a home of their choice. In addition, patients who accept these placements will maintain priority status on the waitlist for their preferred home."

Let's ship granny to Thunder Bay! Well it doesn't say how far they might be asked to go, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
Friday. 4094 cases out of 52,160 tests. 7.8% positivity. Rather curiously, they report the 7-day rolling average as 4094 too - certainly possible but quite a coincidence!.

Last edited:
Before we perpetuate any more freakout/anti-Indian sentiment, can you tell me what the double mutation does differently than "base" covid? Why we should be so concerned about it?

No?

Thought so.

Even the WHO doesn't consider it a Variant of Concern.

For all we know, the mutations have tamped down its lethality or transmissivity. If it does, guess which variant we'd actually prefer to have running around?

Right now, B.1.117 should be the biggest concern here, as it's 90% of our cases and is far more virulent than the original strain.

I don't think we should "freak out", but we should definitely delay the introduction of new strains into the country and control the spread whenever we can. Waiting for WHO to declare *anything* is a concern is fraught - and we should have learned our lessons by this stage of the game.

AoD

I don't think we should "freak out", but we should definitely delay the introduction of new strains into the country and control the spread whenever we can. Waiting for WHO to declare *anything* is a concern is fraught - and we should have learned our lessons by this stage of the game.

AoD
For sure. But it seems to be causing some panic (and now with the triple-mutation), when for all we know it's a benign change. Most mutation does little to help or hinder a virus, and people should tamp their reactions a bit. Especially when it's very likely to focus even more hatred upon another segment of the AAPI community.

When I was in town this evening I saw a Toronto EMS ambulance pull into our local hospital - unknown if it was a Covid-related transfer. Our daughter in North Bay says their hospital has received a GTA ICU transfer.

Today's reports. 3947 cases out of 46,700 tests. 7-day average down to 4051. From: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data

1619362365146.png

Last edited:
Oops:

AoD
Memories of Wuhan?

This theory was discredited and mention of it today may trigger accusations of racism. But if it can happen in Ontario, why not Wuhan?

Today's reports. 3947 cases out of 46,700 tests. 7-day average down to 4051. From: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data

View attachment 315050

My cousin and her three kids are part of those numbers. They tested positive yesterday. She had a cough for a few days, thought it was allergies, than bam! fever, chills, sore throat. Now her kid are sick.

They do live in a high-rise, so even though she works from home and they rarely go out, they still have to share elevators and common spaces with other people.

Memories of Wuhan?

This theory was discredited and mention of it today may trigger accusations of racism. But if it can happen in Ontario, why not Wuhan?
Is it discredited? There are some racists who muddied the water by referring to it as 'Wuhan flu' and wanting to make it a racial thing, but lab leaks to happen. I would not put it past the government of China to cover up a lab leak to avoid the embarrassment. I think the idea it was intentional to be unlikely, as a global pandemic doesn't predictably serve anyone's interests.

Is it discredited? There are some racists who muddied the water by referring to it as 'Wuhan flu' and wanting to make it a racial thing, but lab leaks to happen. I would not put it past the government of China to cover up a lab leak to avoid the embarrassment. I think the idea it was intentional to be unlikely, as a global pandemic doesn't predictably serve anyone's interests.
I think the idea of Covid being created in and then escaping from a bio-warfare, wmd lab has been discredited. But a lab f#ck up in China and now Ontario is IMO completely feasible.

So, asking UT members, who’s received their first or second vaccine? Myself, 50 yrs old, I got the Moderna shot two weeks ago.

Just booked a vaccine appointment at Sunnybrook. It showed no appointments for today but when I clicked on the 27th it showed lots of availability. I have been clicking on the booking link a lot and have lost out on many single appointments (likely due to cancellations) by not being fast enough.

Back