News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Sure, because nobody is going to make fake receipts.
Which is why a vaccine passport/certificate using a QR code can be scanned for verification purposes.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F60e46bec2ab2e7b3beeffd1f%2FCovid-vaccine-passport-travel%2F1960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

From link.

I have to say, I'm not really keen on bribing people to take vaccines; the problem from my point of view is not so much the moral hazard in real-time, as it is w/the culture in the U.S. that people expect to be paid to 'donate' blood, sperm, eggs, etc etc.
Which is to say, this can have the perverse effect, that in the future, people will be even more hesitant to get a vaccine early, because they won't want to miss out on a potential pay day when uptake is low.

I also question whether the beneficiary of the savings is the one paying the lottery or if this looks more like privatizing reward/nationalizing loss.

At the end of the day, I'm not 100% opposed, and I'm all for studying the phenomenon..........but I'm a tad queasy about the whole thing.

I'm personally very against a lot of these bribery/coupons/gift cards/etc schemes. It sets a really dangerous precedent and just dummifies people instead of educating them on general well-being, etc. Yes, the anti-vaxxers may be a lost cause but we shouldn't give up on the general public at large.

I'm personally very against a lot of these bribery/coupons/gift cards/etc schemes. It sets a really dangerous precedent and just dummifies people instead of educating them on general well-being, etc. Yes, the anti-vaxxers may be a lost cause but we shouldn't give up on the general public at large.

No kidding - as inconsequential as the amount is in the grand scheme of things, it basically encourages the public not to act in collective interest but to wait until the possibility of monetary reward.

AoD

No kidding - as inconsequential as the amount is in the grand scheme of things, it basically encourages the public not to act in collective interest but to wait until the possibility of monetary reward.

AoD
I agree with you BUT take a look at post 9657 above from The Economist which seems to show the 'investment' in gifts/prizes in Ohio really paid off in savings in health care costs.

I agree with you BUT take a look at post 9657 above from The Economist which seems to show the 'investment' in gifts/prizes in Ohio really paid off in savings in health care costs.

I consider the lesson for those who refuse to get vaccinated, getting infected leading to hospitalization a priceless education opportunity.

AoD

• Love
Reactions: DSC

At this point If it gets people vaccinated, then who cares? This pandemic can't keep dragging on. If a COVID strain manages to mutate with resistance to the vaccines, we will all be effed.

At this point If it gets people vaccinated, then who cares? This pandemic can't keep dragging on. If a COVID strain manages to mutate with resistance to the vaccines, we will all be effed.

You aren't going to save yourself having an additional what 1% of the population choosing to get vaccinated because there is a chance to win a lottery on that score.

AoD

You aren't going to save yourself having an additional what 1% of the population choosing to get vaccinated because there is a chance to win a lottery on that score.

AoD
To be fair though, there will be people who sign up for this reason who then see others close to them get sick or die. And despite absence not being proof, many still take it as such ("Covid doesn't exist because I don't know anyone who's gotten it"). Those inclined to think that way may then see a reversal, where lack of sickness is proof the vaccine worked (even if they weren't exposed).

Incentive sucks, but if that's what it takes to get things over the crest, then by all means. We should really have behavioural economists working hand-in-hand with the medical community to get our numbers up; though I doubt anyone in the Ford Government could delve into anything that deep.

I'm personally very against a lot of these bribery/coupons/gift cards/etc schemes. It sets a really dangerous precedent and just dummifies people instead of educating them on general well-being, etc.
My daughters’ universities are running a contest of free tuition for a year, applicable to any students who prove their double vaxed by Sept 7th. The kids haven’t been dumbed down as you suggest, but instead are now more aware, plus a little excited about the prospects of free school.

I know some live with a tendency to call out the negative consequences of good intent, but I’m good with this contest. A bit of end of summer fun.

I have a niece that has been negatively influenced by her boyfriend's family and hasn't had the vax. But she is now discovering the limitations. She is quite close with her grandmother (my mom) and niece has found out that she won't be allowed to visit her grandmother in the retirement home without the vax. Niece is now reconsidering (fingers crossed).

The press release for this:

Relevant bit:

1629382437743.png

Back