News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I like Lennox970's beaver with laser-eye beams. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ontario-flag-needs-replacing.20490/post-1464598

On a serious note, I'd be open to a new Ontario flag - just keep it simple and easy to draw.

Can't see that happening with a (Progressive) Conservative government. The current Ontario flag was adapted on May 21, 1965, 55 years ago by a Progressive Conservative government under John Robarts, after the Maple Leaf flag was adapted as Canada's flag.

Alright, let me add some input as someone who had to do Canada's Political Geography every year in Social Studies:

PLEASE. MAKE IT EASY TO DRAW AND COLOUR. PLEASE NO WEIRD SPECIFIC ANGLES, NO HARD-TO-FIND COLOURS THAT REQUIRE A 100 PACK OF PENCIL CRAYON TO FIND THE CORRECT SHADE.

But I mean the worst part will always be colouring in Nunavut. Can we please just like, have those islands leave Canada and declare independence? I am tired of colouring in those islands whenever I have to draw a Map of Canada.

Alright, on a serious note, the current flag of Ontario feels kind of outdated, compared to minimalist flags that have remained timeless over the years, such as the Canadian or Scandanavian Flags.

Alright, let me add some input as someone who had to do Canada's Political Geography every year in Social Studies:

PLEASE. MAKE IT EASY TO DRAW AND COLOUR. PLEASE NO WEIRD SPECIFIC ANGLES, NO HARD-TO-FIND COLOURS THAT REQUIRE A 100 PACK OF PENCIL CRAYON TO FIND THE CORRECT SHADE.

But I mean the worst part will always be colouring in Nunavut. Can we please just like, have those islands leave Canada and declare independence? I am tired of colouring in those islands whenever I have to draw a Map of Canada.

Alright, on a serious note, the current flag of Ontario feels kind of outdated, compared to minimalist flags that have remained timeless over the years, such as the Canadian or Scandanavian Flags.

YES PLEASE : )

One of the most important rules of vexillology is that the flag has to be simple enough for a child to draw from memory.

One of the most important rules of vexillology is that the flag has to be simple enough for a child to draw from memory.
I expect very few people can accurately draw the Canadian flag from memory. How many points on the leaf, what is the ratio of red to white? At best most of us just hack out what we think it should look like, not what it actually is.

Now might be the ideal moment to get the Ontario flag changed. In light of all the mass protests for Black Lives Matter taking on the legacy of Western colonialism, what better time than now to frame it as an outdated symbol honouring a European power that brutally subjugated First Nations peoples, among many other ethnic injustices?

Now might be the ideal moment to get the Ontario flag changed. In light of all the mass protests for Black Lives Matter taking on the legacy of Western colonialism, what better time than now to frame it as an outdated symbol honouring a European power that brutally subjugated First Nations peoples, among many other ethnic injustices?
Or just actually help first nation people then doing simple gestures to avoid actual hard work.

Like I notice no one even dares to reopen the indian act to modernize it.

I wonder why

Then there is the Québec's fleurs-de-lis flag, which is a European French Catholic symbol.

502335-la-fleur-de-lys-drapeau-du-qu%C3%A9bec-.jpg

From link.

Not sure how it tackles the legacy of Western colonialism, good or bad.
We're still part of the commonwealth, it isn't some historical abstraction.

I expect very few people can accurately draw the Canadian flag from memory. How many points on the leaf, what is the ratio of red to white? At best most of us just hack out what we think it should look like, not what it actually is.
I could draw it just as well from memory as from being provided a written description of what it looks like. i.e. I'm not that good a drawer.

Then there is the Québec's fleurs-de-lis flag, which is a European French Catholic symbol.

502335-la-fleur-de-lys-drapeau-du-qu%C3%A9bec-.jpg

From link.
I don't think it has anything to do with Catholicism. The cross is a reference to Christianity, and the lily is a symbol of the French monarchy. In any event, try to suggest it be replaced and enjoy the response.

Back