News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So basically a bunch of baseless crap with no commitment to actually getting the service started.
It’s funding and with an in service date around the next election. They would have to get moving on construction to make that timeline.

They dillydallied on it this term for sure, taking 4 years to develop an actual plan, but the announcement today puts hard numbers and dates on it that are relatively soon.

This signage says the Timmins Station will be at this location. Anyone know where it is? Doesn't look like downtown Timmins. I tried to find this crossing on Google Streetview but wasn't able to.

20220410_145754.jpg

Last edited:
This signage says the Timmins Station will be at this location. Anyone know where it is? Doesn't look like downtown Timmins. I tried to find this crossing on Google Streetview but wasn't able to.

View attachment 391763
According to the updated business case, the Timmins station is to be at the current end of steel at Highway 101 near Gervais St. The announcement was made at Falcon St here.

EDIT: From the business case (page 121):
1649618976429.png

Last edited:
Pretty much. Imagine announcing a GO extension or a subway, but not going to start it for 5 years?
So Kitchener Line GO weekend service.

So, temporarily, run from Toronto to Cochrane, with a Cochrane to Hearst Train. Once the station in Timmins is ready, extend both services to Timmins.

The announcement has already been made that the service will terminate in Timmins. So you want them to reinstate the service to Cochrane knowing full well that it is only temporary?

Edit: I just saw this in the release published in the Timmins Daily Press:

The province released an updated initial business case that outlines options for passenger rail service from Toronto to Timmins.

"Future feasibility work on a preferred route will include a new rail connection to Cochrane, expanding the reach of this critical rail transit to 5,300 more people and providing a connection to Polar Bear Express service to Moosonee."
I have no idea what that means.

Edit Again: It seems they are proposing options for connecting the Northlander and PBX, either some kind of rail connection (shuttle) between Timmins and Cochrane or a bus link between Cochrane and Matheson. The graphic says 'Option 2' but I don't know if this was from the original business case - I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
That is where they are putting the station and they are putting in a siding?? Are there through trains warranting the passenger train pulling into a siding? I was thinking it would have gone where the Connaught Hill station was at Evans and Station, or more ideally at Highway 101 and Carium Road. Of course most ideal would be connecting back to the original Timmins station but I accept that would be a big expense for little gain.

Pretty much. Imagine announcing a GO extension or a subway, but not going to start it for 5 years?

You mean like the last government did with GO RER, 2WAD to Kitchener, etc etc?

Or which Ottawa is doing with VIA HfR?

These timings are definitely set based on politics rather than meeting anyone’s needs. Nobody puts shovels in the ground so long as talking the idea up is sufficient to score points.

- Paul

Back