News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/meng-huawei-extradition-1.4937146

"The appropriate authorities took the decisions in this case without any political involvement or interference ... we were advised by them with a few days' notice that this was in the works," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters in Montreal Thursday.

Also, to my understanding; Justice has the final say on any arrest, not Foreign/Global Affairs.

Certainly, its Justice who issues an Authority to Proceed and did in this case.

However, a provisional arrest was made first, before the Authority was issued.

Which is permissible under the Treaty (whether it should be or not).

It looks at though JWR and the PM would both have had to sign off.

Under the Extradition Act, authority for extradition is vesting in the federal Attorney General, who has the authority - if requisite conditions are met - to issue a provisional warrant where a person is in or on their way to Canada [Sec. 13 (1) (b)]. Meng was in transit to Mexico (with which the US also has a treaty - perhaps they don't trust them?). Without a warrant, Canada would have had no authority to detain. I assume they knew she was coming either through intelligence or passenger manifest screening. I don't know who told who she was coming to dinner.

As to the role of Global Affairs, the request may come through it, but I'm not sure if it has the authority to vet or refuse, since the Act gives all power to the AG:
  • 7 The Minister [AG] is responsible for the implementation of extradition agreements, the administration of this Act and dealing with requests for extradition made under them.
Having said all of that, I'm not sure of the effect of this Section:
  • 10 (1) The Minister of Foreign Affairs may, with the agreement of the Minister, enter into a specific agreement with a State or entity for the purpose of giving effect to a request for extradition in a particular case.
    (2) For greater certainty, if there is an inconsistency between this Act and a specific agreement, this Act prevails to the extent of the inconsistency.
There is no legal requirement for the PM to be involved, but in these days of the PMO running everything - going back several Parliaments - it seems they don't decide lunch without checking with it.

Under the Extradition Act, authority for extradition is vesting in the federal Attorney General, who has the authority - if requisite conditions are met - to issue a provisional warrant where a person is in or on their way to Canada [Sec. 13 (1) (b)]. Meng was in transit to Mexico (with which the US also has a treaty - perhaps they don't trust them?). Without a warrant, Canada would have had no authority to detain. I assume they knew she was coming either through intelligence or passenger manifest screening. I don't know who told who she was coming to dinner.

As to the role of Global Affairs, the request may come through it, but I'm not sure if it has the authority to vet or refuse, since the Act gives all power to the AG:
  • 7 The Minister [AG] is responsible for the implementation of extradition agreements, the administration of this Act and dealing with requests for extradition made under them.
Having said all of that, I'm not sure of the effect of this Section:
  • 10 (1) The Minister of Foreign Affairs may, with the agreement of the Minister, enter into a specific agreement with a State or entity for the purpose of giving effect to a request for extradition in a particular case.
    (2) For greater certainty, if there is an inconsistency between this Act and a specific agreement, this Act prevails to the extent of the inconsistency.
There is no legal requirement for the PM to be involved, but in these days of the PMO running everything - going back several Parliaments - it seems they don't decide lunch without checking with it.
It’s not about what the legislation or treaties say, but what’s in the best interest of Canada. The USA and China don‘t care about agreements or the rules, Trump signed New Nafta and quickly enacted aluminium tariffs, while China kidnapped two Canadian citizens as retribution. These are not countries that play by the rules. Trudeau and Freeland were clearly not up to the game here. They were played by Trump who wanted to use Canada to poke China. Before the end of March 2021, President Biden is going to cancel the extradition request, leaving Canada looking like a stupid fool as it removes Meng’s ankle bracelet, and with a Trudeau apology to boot. Let’s hope the two Michaels aren’t dead by then.

Last edited:
Not sure how we would look stupid. If the requestor drops the request, we lose jurisdiction. She has committed no crime here that I am aware of.

Are we dancing to their tune? Certainly; that's the essence of extradition, we have somebody that somebody else wants. We honoured a treaty - sucks to be us, I guess.

Seems like Ford and Freeland are friends
Never a bad idea to get onto her good side- seems like Freeland has experience with many tasks and probably has more influence over the day-to-day running of the government than Trudeau lol

Trudeau began this major summer reset of his government by adding new responsibilities onto two of his most trusted ministers in a mini-shuffle on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after Bill Morneau's sudden departure from the federal political stage.

The mid-August cabinet rejigging was the first move in what will be a cascading series of events effectively allowing the Liberal minority to hit the reset button, at a time when the government’s agenda has been drastically altered and calls from the opposition for Trudeau to resign or face a snap election continue in the wake of the ongoing WE affair.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland is keeping her second-in-command role while taking on the finance minister portfolio, while her intergovernmental affairs responsibilities are being reassigned to Dominic LeBlanc, who also continues as President of the Queen’s Privy Council.
Even at the height of CPC popularity in Canada the Liberals could run a mannequin here in Toronto Centre and they’d win hands down. With the CPC and NDP now in shambles, the Libs could run a reincarnated Joseph Goebbels and still handily win the riding. As far as the Liberal party is concerned, my riding is one of the sheepiest of them all.
Honestly think that the NDP could pick up this seat considering the current cultural tensions, but I do agree that they might not have the organizational skill atm to pull it off. A shame though, since the Liberals need a good wakeup call...

Last edited:
Out of those I would still pick over Liberals.
Hopefully people wake up from the last election through all these Liberal scandals

The idea that voters need to wake up is also laughable. Just because people don't share your views or interpretations of events, doesn't mean they're asleep.

I could see a closer race in York Centre. The Cons briefly snatched it from the Liberals in 2011 due to support for Harper from the Jewish community and the socially conservative Filipino community.

The idea that voters need to wake up is also laughable. Just because people don't share your views or interpretations of events, doesn't mean they're asleep.
I mean one scandal per term is one thing but having 4-5 scandals most of them relating to ethics?
I cannot remember the last Conservative government having these many scandals.

We need to hold people paid for by our hard earned TAX dollars in higher standards than that, that's why I said wake up.
These are facts, not my views. You can count the scandals, 1 after another, there are ethics committee reviews, Finance committee reviews etc. you can just count them

Back