News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

These are your views. Clearly not everyone agrees what level of severity each "scandle" is.
For you, these by the current Liberals are not justifiable, but you're not even able to remember the numerous scandals during Harper's government.
For others, these are tempests in a teapot and they can remember the Harper government participating in torturing war detainees.

These are your views. Clearly not everyone agrees what level of severity each "scandle" is.
For you, these by the current Liberals are not justifiable, but you're not even able to remember the numerous scandals during Harper's government.
For others, these are tempests in a teapot and they can remember the Harper government participating in torturing war detainees.
So did the liberals too before 2005.

At any rate there will likely be policy of substance to support or oppose in the throne speech.

I personally hold Trudeau in esteem higher than Donald Trump but not particularly higher. That said I still voted Liberal to oust the Harper government because of his administrations bizarre contempt for democratic institutions such as the scientific method and open access public data.

By September we will know more what the Liberals will run on, what direction the Conservatives will take, and how the NDP and Bloc will pivot (sorry the Greens are basically a protest vote). So to be honest unless you are strongly partisan there’s not enough information to base a potential fall election vote on.

What do you mean not everyone agrees? There's nothing to agree or disagree about.
As I said, it's facts, were there ethics committee reviews during the Lavalin issues? Yes were there finance committee reviews during WE issues? Yes
There were and that's that.
This is not your views or my views or anyone's views. It's issues with the current government, like 1+1 =2.
If there was nothing wrong then why need there be a review?

What do you mean not everyone agrees? There's nothing to agree or disagree about.
As I said, it's facts, were there ethics committee reviews during the Lavalin issues? Yes were there finance committee reviews during WE issues? Yes
There were and that's that.
This is not your views or my views or anyone's views. It's issues with the current government, like 1+1 =2.
If there was nothing wrong then why need there be a review?

That's enough now; you're being silly.

@picard102 said not everyone agrees with the 'severity'.

There is no disputing that the government and/or Trudeau personally, depending on the issue, has been seen to have behaved badly.

That really isn't in question.

What was said is simply that some don't take these actions to be so serious as to warrant the removal of the government.

That's entirely factual based on opinion polls that show the Liberals with a fairly clear lead.

Its every bit as factual that Trudeau's favourability rating is currently negative; though less so than Mr. Scheer or Mr. Trump.

Its equally possible for many to believe the current government has done some good things; while doing some less good things; and some downright stupid things; and self-indulged at times as well.
AND
Notwithstanding the above, conclude that they don't feel there's a good alternative.

Certainly, I couldn't stomach the Conservatives; a party, at this point, full of outright buffoons, trolls, racists, and those are the kinder things I could say. Doubtless there are some good folk in that group, but they are outnumbered.

The BQ is not an electoral option here.

One could happily argue for the NDP or the Greens; but those choices won't suit everyone; and in many/most parts of the province those parties will not likely field a candidate who can win.

That's not a robust defense of the Liberals or Trudeau.

Its a statement that the world is not nearly so black and white as you would paint it.

Not sure how we would look stupid. If the requestor drops the request, we lose jurisdiction. She has committed no crime here that I am aware of.
Then get sure. Biden wins, cancels the request, likely declaring the extradition order was political and should never have been made. China then says to Canada, see we told you the matter was BS, and Canada-China relations are now damaged for at least a decade. Meanwhile as Canada is blocked by punitive trade blocks by China, Biden negotiates and builds up new exports of US goods to China. Just watch, first will be in the reopening of US lobster and seafood, with the collapse of Canadian exports to China of the same goods. Next will be grains, pork and resources.

As we sit in Canada we‘re all hoping Biden wins in November, but for Canadian extra-US trade and relations, and for the survival of Trudeau’s government a Trump victory and all its distractions is likely better.

Harper = bad

If Trudeau does what harper does = not bad

This is why I don't like when people blindly support political parties.

Makes intelligent people into trained seals.
There‘s nothing wrong with proroguing parliament. It‘s a normal function of government. If the people and opposition parties don’t like it they can vote against Trudeau’s minority government when parliament reconvenes and force an election.

Then get sure. Biden wins, cancels the request, likely declaring the extradition order was political and should never have been made. China then says to Canada, see we told you the matter was BS, and Canada-China relations are now damaged for at least a decade. Meanwhile as Canada is blocked by punitive trade blocks by China, Biden negotiates and builds up new exports of US goods to China. Just watch, first will be in the reopening of US lobster and seafood, with the collapse of Canadian exports to China of the same goods. Next will be grains, pork and resources.

As we sit in Canada we‘re all hoping Biden wins in November, but for Canadian extra-US trade and relations, and for the survival of Trudeau’s government a Trump victory and all its distractions is likely better.

Middle power like Canada are always subject to the grunts and groans of superpowers; us in particular given our proximity to the US. For all of the Cold War we were one of the potential battlegrounds whether we liked it or not and in spite of anything we could do about it.

I don't know, but suspect, that if the Meng incident is resolved, relations with China will return to some degree of normalcy. Then tend to be pragmatic and play the long game, using sanctions, etc. action only to achieve strategic goals. Could be wrong.

The reality is, that given the power imbalance, our ability to enforce or rely on any treaty, agreement, alliance, etc. we establish with any other larger nation, so called friend or foe, is, push come to shove, extremely limited.

Middle power like Canada are always subject to the grunts and groans of superpowers; us in particular given our proximity to the US. For all of the Cold War we were one of the potential battlegrounds whether we liked it or not and in spite of anything we could do about it.
I don't know, but suspect, that if the Meng incident is resolved, relations with China will return to some degree of normalcy. Then tend to be pragmatic and play the long game, using sanctions, etc. action only to achieve strategic goals. Could be wrong.
The reality is, that given the power imbalance, our ability to enforce or rely on any treaty, agreement, alliance, etc. we establish with any other larger nation, so called friend or foe, is, push come to shove, extremely limited.

The Meng incident sounded like a test and a wedge (putting aside the appropriateness of the US request aside); our response will communicate receptiveness to certain strategies that can be used to further their strategic goals (one of which no doubt is pulling the US-centred alliance further apart). What the incident has demonstrated is the willingness to create and use pretexts - and for that alone I am not sure if speedy resolution is in our interest.

Then get sure. Biden wins, cancels the request, likely declaring the extradition order was political and should never have been made.

I highly doubt US-China relationship will go back to the rosy ways.

AoD

Last edited:

I don't think your going to see BIden play nice with China.

Back