News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Trudeau needs to halt byelections as COVID-19 surges in Toronto, Green leader says

From link.

Green party Leader Annamie Paul says with COVID-19 cases rising in Toronto, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau should suspend two byelections underway there.

Paul, who took the reins of the Green Party of Canada last Saturday, is also the party’s candidate in the Oct. 26 byelection in Toronto Centre.

A second byelection is underway in the York Centre riding.

Toronto is reporting more than 300 new cases of COVID-19 today and the province is about to impose new closures on restaurants, bars and gyms in Toronto, suburban Peel region and Ottawa, where the outbreaks are concentrated.

Counterpoint...

Apply to vote by mail

From link.

1602266687146.png

APPLY TO VOTE BY MAIL

Currently there is a provincial election in BC underway.

Not something we're likely to give too much attention to here.

As such I'll insert this story here, rather than start a thread.

The BC NDP, the current gov't and most likely victor this election just made a campaign promise I really like.

They will fund prescription contraception (pill); as well as IUDs for every person requiring such.

I've long advocated for this. While I'm in favour of broader pharmacare; this particular initiative has the virtue of reducing poverty, increasing gender equity; all while paying for itself as government saves money
both on abortions and more substantially on the cost of unplanned children to parents who can ill afford them.

Of note, the cost is projected at 60M per year.

This pegs the cost of something similar in Ontario at just a bit shy of 180M when comparing population numbers.

Currently there is a provincial election in BC underway.

Not something we're likely to give too much attention to here.

As such I'll insert this story here, rather than start a thread.

The BC NDP, the current gov't and most likely victor this election just made a campaign promise I really like.

They will fund prescription contraception (pill); as well as IUDs for every person requiring such.

I've long advocated for this. While I'm in favour of broader pharmacare; this particular initiative has the virtue of reducing poverty, increasing gender equity; all while paying for itself as government saves money
both on abortions and more substantially on the cost of unplanned children to parents who can ill afford them.

Of note, the cost is projected at 60M per year.

This pegs the cost of something similar in Ontario at just a bit shy of 180M when comparing population numbers.

It could be much more if we say non citizens should get it which some States are looking at.

International students in Ontario 168,000
International workers embassy's etc 30,000

There are many more with that said i am not saying its not worth it just cost could be much higher.

International students are required to pay for their healthcare; they either buy private insurance through their university/college or buy into the public insurance system the rest of us have.

The cost, in that context is immaterial.

Either we don't bear it (its covered by private insurance) or we do, but we're paid to.

That aside, the cost of the 'average' birth control prescription is $30 per month (they range, some are more).

Even in a very maximized scenario, you're looking at covering an additional 100,000 women in Ontario.

The accretive cost would be 36M per year. A relative drop-in-the-bucket.

Also, still way cheaper than abortions; or supporting the child (who would be a citizen if born here)

International students in Ontario 168,000
International workers embassy's etc 30,000

There are many more with that said i am not saying its not worth it just cost could be much higher.
That's 1% of Ontario's population. Unless you think these populations would gobble birth control like tic tacs, I don't see your point. In other words, it was a complete non sequitur.

Its no secret that this country, under multiple governments has made a hash of the 'First Nations' file.

There are times, when we could all dissect the particulars of a given choice (action or non-action); or perhaps the role a given Band had in delaying a positive outcome to a particular problem.

But there are also plenty of moments where the failure to get something done has reached a nearly inexplicable and unforgivable point.

The above first nation, has been under a Boil-water advisory.......................

For 25 years!!!!!

This isn't even the first time community members of the remote reserve have had to be evacuated due to this issue.

A current cabinet minister (Bennett) visited in 2016 and promised the issue would be resolved by 2018.

Had that been honoured...........it would only have taken 23 years to fix the problem, instead of 25 and counting...................

I oppose the casual use of the word racism; particularly where classism, stupidity/ignorance or all around belligerence might be a better fit.

But it is surely hard to imagine this nonsense going on in a non-First Nations community in this country.

Branch, a non first nations community of 247 has had a boil water advisory since 1989.

No excuse for that either.

Either remove the community if it is non-viable; or invest in it to make it livable.

A new Environics Focus Canada poll is out. It examines Canadian attitudes towards immigrants, immigration and refugees.

Its a good news story.

Canadians are becoming more accepting than ever, indeed being exceedingly positive on the whole subject.

Support is up, notably, among Albertans, the less educated, and Conservative voters.

Just one graph from the above link:

1603393774601.png

But there were many other questions, all with similarly positive trendlines.

Agreed, but forcing people off reserves is worse optics.

Well, in this particular case, we're 'evacuating them'...........again.

Sorta getting there anyway.

On the subject of 'forcing' people to move, I would reserve that to non-First Nations communities.

But I do think we need, as a country, to sit down with First Nations communities and come up with viable long-term answers. (consensually)

Where we clearly can't come to a longer-term resolution in a short period of time; we need to make those communities livable in the interim.

At least where its about potable water, reliable power, basic sanitation, elementary education etc .

Really, a lot of this is needless foot dragging.

We know we can't solve every problem of every kind all at once.

But we have so many of these types of problems that really are resolvable for comparatively paltry sums.

You can see the progress made on clean water on reserves here:

Back