News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Occasionally the federal government looks quite weak when the provinces act like they can just do whatever they want.

Ottawa needs to be investing in how Canada can survive and thrive through climate change, not waste time on trying to mitigate it. That horse has left the stable, the world is changing and we need our government to prepare for it.

Ottawa needs to be investing in how Canada can survive and thrive through climate change, not waste time on trying to mitigate it. That horse has left the stable, the world is changing and we need our government to prepare for it.
Climate change isn't a binary, it's a continuum from bad to very bad indeed. Doing nothing is choosing the very bad indeed scenario.

Now, a lot will change just through technological disruption. Solar/wind/battery + vehicle electrification will do a lot. Home heating will be harder to displace. Chemical industry remains to be seen, it all comes down to how much the aspiration to create cheap hydrogen from intermittent renewables pans out.

Tony Keller has a good column up in Today's Globe, once again taking the current gov't to task for its bonkers approach to immigration. This is ahead Mr. Miller announcing Canada's new targets in the next day or two.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...-the-immigration-system-but-better-is-always/ (its behind the paywall)

But here are some of the good bits:

1698794025154.png

Referencing the story of the 'shared bed' for rent..............he says

1698794067074.png

In describing the policy above:

1698794152862.png

This is exactly what @kEiThZ and I have been saying.................

Good to see this discussion getting mainstream play.

If they are the previously discussed changes they will be lukewarm at best.
Indeed. Here’s what I’d like to see.

- Upon arrival all refugees must be provided housing by the Feds
- International students must be provided on-campus housing by the college or university that invited them
- All skilled professional class immigrant candidates must have their credentials accredited by the embassy and federal government equivalency certificates issued before they’re accepted.
- Immigrant numbers to be linked to housing starts or availability.
- Feds to build housing or to financially support housing construction, including affordable rentals and coops.
- Require % of PRs to settle outside of southern Ontario and southern BC
- Cancel family reunification beyond immediate spouse and dependent children. If grandma or cousin wants to live in Canada, she can apply like everyone else.
- Language. Must pass English or French proficiency at embassy before acceptance.
- Global diversification. Let’s look beyond the subcontinent.

We don't have enough cheap labour. Without these students half the fast food joints in this country would close. Just imagine the state of the delivery services and fast food places, if the number of students was cut in half even.
I suppose. But when I see these young Indian men working as food wallahs and slaving away in the back rooms of restaurants I can‘t help but think of the Indian Indenture system that saw people from the subcontinent exported all across the Empire and Commonwealth to be exploited, essentially replacing slavery. Are we doing these young men any favours?

Indeed. Here’s what I’d like to see.
- International students must be provided on-campus housing by the college or university that invited them
This one is interesting given this news from today:

Northern felt it was prudent and responsible to pare down the number of acceptances offered to ensure that students have access to safe housing and the ability to find employment.
It should be noted this school is in Timmins. Somehow I doubt there could be a surprise that they were short hundreds of needed housing units in Timmins, population 50,000. Like someone thought there would be hundreds of new housing units created spontaneously in a town like that? No, they knew that wasn't happening all along.

But, hey, they did get a nice interest rate on all those tuition deposits for six months, right? By my quick calculations on a $10,000 tuition deposit for an international student, times 500 students, the school walks away with around $235,000 of interest on their money at a 4.7% rate (an easily available deposit rate for an institution).

Last edited:
This one is interesting given this news from today:

It should be noted this school is in Timmins. Somehow I doubt there could be a surprise that they were short hundreds of needed housing units in Timmins, population 50,000. Like someone thought there would be hundreds of new housing units created spontaneously in a town like that? No, they knew that wasn't happening all along.

But, hey, they did get a nice interest rate on all those tuition deposits for six months, right? By my quick calculations on a $10,000 tuition deposit for an international student, times 500 students, times six months, the school walked out with around $250,000 of interest on their money at a 4.7% rate (an easily available for an institution).

This bit caught my attention:

1698841086447.png

How can anyone involved in the governance or administration of this college use the word 'prudent' with a straight face?

Aside from sacking the lot; I'd love to make them all personally, civilly liable so that the young man from India in the story whose on the hook for a $30,000 loan at 11% interest can have them court ordered to take over his debt.

- All skilled professional class immigrant candidates must have their credentials accredited by the embassy and federal government equivalency certificates issued before they’re accepted.
- Immigrant numbers to be linked to housing starts or availability.

This is something that really needs to be worked on. Just because you can invite millions of people each year does not mean you should.

There really needs to be a focus on how much housing is available before bringing people into the country.

- Require % of PRs to settle outside of southern Ontario and southern BC
- Cancel family reunification beyond immediate spouse and dependent children. If grandma or cousin wants to live in Canada, she can apply like everyone else.
- Language. Must pass English or French proficiency at embassy before acceptance.

This. This has always been my sticking point.

The GTHA and Vancouver DO NOT have the space for new immigrants. This is evident but all the refugees and asylum seekers parking their butt out on Peter Street looking for help. There needs to be forced relocation to other parts of Canada where they can take the load like Conception Bay!

Family reunification has been abused. There have been stories of people coming to Canada so they can sponsor their elderly relatives who would not get proper healthcare elsewhere. These people cannot work for various reasons and should not be a burden on Canada.

I am sorry Grandma does not get proper healthcare in Asia or the Sub-continent however that should not be Canada's concern. If they would not be able to immigrate by regular means for whatever reason, they should not be able to be sponsored.

Lastly, there should be a requirement to speak the language. Having worked in Condos for the past 12 years I know of more than a few people who immigrated but speak very poor English. Most of them are students but even still they need to be able to communicate.

I recall one particular student in my college days that was in my class. We had to do her part in group assignments because she spoke zero English. It turns out her friends helped her translate the assignments.

But the Libs have confirmed they will continue to raise economic immigrant numbers until 2026 then pause at 500,000 per year.

They don't care. This is all posturing. And what a weak "strategy". They are really phoning it in these days. Feel like they are just waiting to qualify for their pensions and have the keys over to the CPC.

No word on the TFWs or Students as yet.

Of course. They won't ever talk about the root of the problem.

No word on the TFWs or Students as yet.

But the Libs have confirmed they will continue to raise economic immigrant numbers until 2026 then pause at 500,000 per year.

From the above:

View attachment 517067

It is worth noting that 2026 is past the legislated date for the next General Election.

I wonder if the NDP and/or Conservatives will force the issue and demand stronger measures be taken. With current lack of public support for immigration, I can see them forcing the issue and calling for a vote of non-confidence.

Back