News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They don't care. This is all posturing. And what a weak "strategy". They are really phoning it in these days. Feel like they are just waiting to qualify for their pensions and have the keys over to the CPC.

Of course. They won't ever talk about the root of the problem.
Let's see, if/when inflation/interest rates/ comes down. The Liberals problems are all traced to the Bank of Canada.

How we possibly need 1/2 a million newcomers every year? Was Canada truly in the sh#thole when I arrived in the 1970s and we had 20 odd million?

The problem is not the 500,000.........

Its the million and a 1/2 (or more) on top of that

We're looking at 500,000+ TFWs this year and close to 1M Foreign Students, add that to the ~450,000 economic class immigrants and a few refugees for good measure.........

Its all but certain we'll top growth of 2,000,000 this year

* The Stats. Can population clock says we've added ~1M this year on pace for ~1.3M; I suspect this is a low-ball number.

Coming from a government 8 years into its term, this is borderline gaslighting.

Investors react to incentives. If he thought investors were to blame for housing, why didn't his government fix it earlier?

Indeed. Here’s what I’d like to see.

- Language. Must pass English or French proficiency at embassy before acceptance.

Well, Quebec is doing it. Should be required for the rest of Canada for English. if i went to a non english speaking country, i would make the effort to learn the language.There are so many ESL classes available, there is no excuse why people can't learn the language.

Legault also announced that all economic immigrants, who are chosen by Quebec, not Ottawa, would be forced to pass a French test before they can arrive in the province.
The government will also begin requiring all temporary foreign workers -- except those who work on farms -- to pass a French test if they want to stay in the province longer than three years, he said.

"The message will be very clear, for both students and workers in the future, if you want to come to Quebec for more than three years, if you want to be received as a permanent immigrant, you have to speak French," Legault said.

The problem is not the 500,000.........

Its the million and a 1/2 (or more) on top of that

We're looking at 500,000+ TFWs this year and close to 1M Foreign Students, add that to the ~450,000 economic class immigrants and a few refugees for good measure.........

Its all but certain we'll top growth of 2,000,000 this year

* The Stats. Can population clock says we've added ~1M this year on pace for ~1.3M; I suspect this is a low-ball number.
So Canada's population is likely sitting around 42 million now then already??

This thing about language is hilarious. People are talking here like this is a new phenomenon. News flash guys, this has been going on for decades, with every immigrant group you can think of.

My grandparents on both sides all immigrated to Canada with my parents. All four of them lived here for 40-60 years. All of them worked here for years and all of them spoke almost no English at all.
And this was not uncommon. I still have elderly relatives that speak Portuguese almost exclusively.

Is this good? Maybe not. But let's be honest here and not pretend that this is some new problem because of all the "Raj, Singh and Kaur"s we are letting in as someone mentioned earlier.

Regarding immigration now, a language test is already a requirement for skilled immigrants and students as part of the application. The testing is done by companies that are accredited by third party agencies, which I suppose could cause issues if that is not monitored properly. Link: https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=638&top=6

Refugees obviously aren't required to pass a language test. TFWs I don't believe need to submit accredited language test. I believe their language skills get evaluated by the immigration officers for the program. What is important here is that the officers will decide whether their language skills are adequate for their job - not necessarily if they are enough to survive in society.

Last edited:
This thing about language is hilarious. People are talking here like this is a new phenomenon. News flash guys, this has been going on for decades, with every immigrant group you can think of.

My grandparents on both sides all immigrated to Canada with my parents. All four of them lived here for 40-60 years. All of them worked here for years and all of them spoke almost no English at all.
And this was not uncommon. I still have elderly relatives that speak Portuguese almost exclusively.

Is this good? Maybe not. But let's be honest here and not pretend that this is some new problem because of all the "Raj, Singh and Kaur"s we are letting in as someone mentioned earlier.

We should remember that the immigration system serves Canadian needs not those of immigrants. And I say this as an immigrant. So as those needs evolve, so should the system. A country struggling with healthcare may have to reconsider taking in older and less productive migrants.

The testing is done by companies that are accredited by third party agencies, which I suppose could cause issues if that is not monitored properly.

Fraud is unfortunately rampant. It's pretty easy to get a faked TOEFL test certificate. This is not usually an issue for economic migrants, because immigration officers screen them. It's more problematic for TFWs, students (who basically get admitted on falsified credentials), etc.

We should remember that the immigration system serves Canadian needs not those of immigrants. And I say this as an immigrant. So as those needs evolve, so should the system. A country struggling with healthcare may have to reconsider taking in older and less productive migrants.
I'm not trying to defend the system per se. But there is a lot of outrage going on - almost verging on a dog whistle. People are pretending as if suddenly we have lowered our standards on this requirement (English), when in reality it has been an issue for decades for every immigrant group that has come to this country.

When I mentioned my grandparents, they did not immigrant here as 'seniors'. They immigrated as adults with young children, and all worked and paid taxes here for many years.
Fraud is unfortunately rampant. It's pretty easy to get a faked TOEFL test certificate. This is not usually an issue for economic migrants, because immigration officers screen them. It's more problematic for TFWs, students (who basically get admitted on falsified credentials), etc.
This would not surprise me at all.

But again, as I said, we do have language requirements for immigrants. It is just seemingly not working properly.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to defend the system per se. But there is a lot of outrage going on - almost verging on a dog whistle. People are pretending as if suddenly we have lowered our standards on this requirement (English), when in reality it has been an issue for decades for every immigrant group that has come to this country.

When I mentioned my grandparents, they did not immigrant here as 'seniors'. They immigrated as adults with young children, and all worked and paid taxes here for many years.

This would not surprise me at all.

But again, as I said, we do have language requirements for immigrants. It is just seemingly not working properly.

I think we need to clarify here.

There is no widespread problem with language requirements for Economic-Class immigrants. This is the primary, official stream of immigrants nominally applying for PR/Citizenship.

The issues are in the TFW and Foreign Student streams.

Neither of these categories was material in its scale in the 1950s-1980s; and the latter only became substantial in 2010s.

This is an issue that did not exist in the same way before.

Important to also state, that if you're coming in as a foreign student, nominally, to study in English-language schools; your language skills are of greater consequence that if you enter as a skilled trades person who may be able to operate in your mother tongue.

Let me now add, the language requirements for immigrants (as we think of them today) really only came in with the points system.

That system was introduced in 1967.

The LPC really is clueless if they believe they can fight an election on the carbon tax and win in this political environment.

I am convinced that nobody inside that party talks to regular people.

The LPC really is clueless if they believe they can fight an election on the carbon tax and win in this political environment.

I am convinced that nobody inside that party talks to regular people.

I wonder what the chances are of a non-confidence motion before June.

Back