News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

MPs of all political parties accepts sponsored travel. MPs are gifted free travel, accommodations from governments, corporations and individuals. I am sure they talk about government business with them.

I can understand why the sitting government won't release names. But one would think the government would be dismissing these MPs from caucus and seeking new candidates for upcoming elections. They could at least announce that nobody who is compromised will run in the next election.

They could at least announce that nobody who is compromised will run in the next election.
I would imagine that stating so puts a question mark on anyone not running in the next election, regardless of whether or not they were compromised.

That being said, the names must come out.

Long time conservative and contributor to the National Post, Frank Stronach, arrested on charges of sexual assault.

Canadian businessman Frank Stronach has been arrested and charged in a sexual assault investigation, according to Peel Regional Police.

Police said Stronach, 91, of Aurora, Ont., was arrested in Peel Region, west of Toronto, on Friday and charged with five offences, including rape, indecent assault on a female, two counts of sexual assault and forcible confinement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...police-sexual-assault-investigation-1.7228988

Reddit concluded that there's a small gun on the bow, so "warship" is acceptable.
It is a bit weakly armed.

But it is typical for patrol duties. In the US these would be more coast guard duties. Here a typical US Coast Guard cutter for comparison with almost identical armament of one 25mm cannon and two 50 caliber (12.7 mm) machine guns. It will be interesting if the eventual Canadian Coast Guard versions have any fixed guns whatsoever.

B.C. premier frustrated with Quebec immigration funding

The Canadian Press · Posted: Jun 10, 2024

Federal immigration money is being "showered down" on Ontario and Quebec "at the expense" of Western Canada, B.C. Premier David Eby said Monday.

Eby told a news conference to mark the end of the annual Western Premiers' Conference in Whitehorse that Ottawa's offer of $750 million to Quebec to help pay for a surge in temporary residents there is frustrating, and B.C. should also get a share.

Eby said there are 10,000 people coming to British Columbia every 37 days. Refugees have to stay in homeless shelters and international students don't have support.

"And so to see a single-province agreement with Quebec, is an underlining of a sense of frustration that I heard around the table," he said.

"I won't put this on anyone else, but I'll say for British Columbia, how frustrated we are to see the money being showered down on Quebec and Ontario, and us scrabbling around for what's left over. It's not acceptable."

Quebec Premier François Legault had said the offer from Ottawa came after he asked for $1 billion to cover costs associated with a surge in temporary residents.

Eby said Canadians are seeing resources go to Ontario and Quebec "at the expense, in my opinion, of the west."

"That announcement today with Quebec, frankly, is the straw that broke this camel's back," he said on Monday.

"I cannot understand how that could happen. I cannot understand why we cannot get a per capita share at a minimum."

Legault has previously said the number of temporary residents coming to the province — including asylum seekers, students and workers — had "exploded" to 560,000, a number he says doubled in two years, straining social services.

B.C. government figures show there were 475,778 non-permanent residents in the province as of Jan. 1, an increase of about 84 per cent from two years earlier.

Federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller's office did not provide a response in time for deadline.

This is a strange tact for the Liberals. Paywall free here: https://archive.is/HCihw

Freeland paints us a dystopia where only the rich do well, but the Liberals have been in power since 2015. If the country is out of cash, maybe look to the expansion of program spending?

And the capital gains increase does not only impact the 1%, but anyone who owns property and wants to pass it on.

Quebec Premier François Legault had said the offer from Ottawa came after he asked for $1 billion to cover costs associated with a surge in temporary residents.

"I cannot understand how that could happen. I cannot understand why we cannot get a per capita share at a minimum."

Did BC ask?

And the capital gains increase does not only impact the 1%, but anyone who owns property and wants to pass it on.

Those people already have to pay capital gains taxes on the property they're passing on. The only difference is a slightly smaller share of their investment income will be tax free than it previously had been.

And no, it doesn't impact anyone who owns property and wants to pass it on. It only impacts those people whose property has increased by more than $250,000. And for most people who have a single piece of property worth that much, that property is their principal residence, which is not affected.

This is a strange tact for the Liberals. Paywall free here: https://archive.is/HCihw

Freeland paints us a dystopia where only the rich do well, but the Liberals have been in power since 2015. If the country is out of cash, maybe look to the expansion of program spending?

If anything, they should be increasing the GST to 30%

Primary homes are exempt from capital gains.
I don't think most people are going to shed too many tears on the poor downtrodden folks who are selling their additional properties they're hording having to pay an extra taxes on profits over $250,000.

Back