News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Canada needs immigrants. It also needs a plan for the influx of new Canadians.​

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edi...0a350602-996f-513b-b437-cc7f640c6a62.amp.html

Marc Miller characterized it as a mere piece of housekeeping. Canadians were telling his Liberal government, he said, to “be a little more organized”and plan a little better when it comes to immigration policy.
The real numbers eclipse permanent resident targets. Canada’s population hit 40 million last summer, part of the largest year-over-year percentage increase in population in 66 years, with the country on a path to double its population in 25 years. The 2.2 million non-permanent residents living in this country on July 1, 2023, comprised largely of temporary workers and international students, was up 46 per cent over the previous year. They now outnumber Indigenous Canadians.

Miller agrees his government has become “quite addicted” to temporary foreign workers and mused about capping the number of international students in this country, now estimated at 900,000. The temporary workers too often find abusive working conditions. Students are too often lured to private colleges with fraudulent claims only to receive substandard education and false hope.

Miller has promised renewed scrutiny on those issues, but the larger picture also needs greater scrutiny. Yes, we are getting older and workers are needed, including those who can fill what the government estimates is a shortfall of 100,000 needed to build homes. But those workers, too, need some place to live, adding more pressure on the market. The Liberal argument that growing immigration means a growing economy is also being questioned, because Canadians’ personal standard of living has not grown with an influx of new arrivals.

Don’t you just love it when the governing party has no idea what they are doing and are trying to address the problem they created.

Justin Trudeau is a problem for his party — and even if he quits, it might not save the Liberals, poll suggests​

As the Liberals continue to slump under Trudeau, a pollster says it appears that “too many people are just finished with him,” Susan Delacourt writes.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/po...9cc6bd56.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=politics

It’s fascinating how many articles posted this week by The Star about the Liberals sagging at the polls.

Short of a national crisis, almost nothing can save the Liberals.

If they were smart, caucus would force Trudeau out and they would begin a leadership race. Take Trudeau out of the equation and the CPC has one less thing to squak about.

That being said, if the Liberals were smart they would put strict controls on immigration and housing purchases (such as citizenship and residency requirements)

They need to do something to show they are serious about fixing issues not just ignoring them if they want to get a boost in the polls.

What I don't get it is why the Liberals think that the status quo is good enough. The Liberal caucus is either ignorant or stupid if they think that their current policies are working.

It is not like only a few people are squaking about how bad life is in Canada right now. It is a national issue yet for some reasons the Liberals choose to think they are doing an incredible job.

If they were smart, caucus would force Trudeau out and they would begin a leadership race. Take Trudeau out of the equation and the CPC has one less thing to squak about.

That being said, if the Liberals were smart they would put strict controls on immigration and housing purchases (such as citizenship and residency requirements)

They need to do something to show they are serious about fixing issues not just ignoring them if they want to get a boost in the polls.

What I don't get it is why the Liberals think that the status quo is good enough. The Liberal caucus is either ignorant or stupid if they think that their current policies are working.

It is not like only a few people are squaking about how bad life is in Canada right now. It is a national issue yet for some reasons the Liberals choose to think they are doing an incredible job.
The mere fact that the pompous P.P. is running against the Liberals gives me some hope. More hope would come if Justin takes one for the team.

I wonder if they're delusional enough to think that the conservatives won't change housing much, people will have a re-awakening and this will bring in a Trudeau redux, just like his dad.

Justin Trudeau is a problem for his party — and even if he quits, it might not save the Liberals, poll suggests
Without Trudeau the Liberals would have been smoked in 2015. No one was going to vote Liberals with Dion, Ignatieff or any of these five other nobodies.

And I would argue, Trudeau is the party's only hope to win again, presumably by 2025. Trudeau has made sure that no one else in the party has sufficient profile to replace him and win in 2025. First of all it MUST be a Quebecer - the LPC has no zero success otherwise, since Pearson. Out of thirty-eight Ministers, here are the eleven (29%) Quebecers in Trudeau's cabinet.

Marie-Claude Bibeau
François-Philippe Champagne
Jean-Yves Duclos
Steven Guilbeault
Mélanie Joly
Dominic LeBlanc
Diane Lebouthillier
Soraya Martinez Ferrada
Marc Miller
Pablo Rodriguez
Pascale St-Onge

Do any of these look like PM material? With the exception of Joly and LeBlanc, most of them we've never heard of.

Without Trudeau the Liberals would have been smoked in 2015. No one was going to vote Liberals with Dion, Ignatieff or any of these five other nobodies.

And I would argue, Trudeau is the party's only hope to win again, presumably by 2025. Trudeau has made sure that no one else in the party has sufficient profile to replace him and win in 2025. First of all it MUST be a Quebecer - the LPC has no zero success otherwise, since Pearson. Out of thirty-eight Ministers, here are the eleven (29%) Quebecers in Trudeau's cabinet.

Marie-Claude Bibeau
Jean-Yves Duclos
Steven Guilbeault
Mélanie Joly
Dominic LeBlanc
Diane Lebouthillier
Soraya Martinez Ferrada
Marc Miller
Pablo Rodriguez
Pascale St-Onge

Do any of these look like PM material? With the exception of Joly and LeBlanc, most of them we've never heard of.

Champagne has been a rising star in the party, and some have speculated he could be leader material.

Marie-Claude Bibeau
Jean-Yves Duclos
Steven Guilbeault
Mélanie Joly
Dominic LeBlanc
Diane Lebouthillier
Soraya Martinez Ferrada
Marc Miller
Pablo Rodriguez
Pascale St-Onge

I hate that you're right on the raw politics of this because I'm a big fan of Anita Anand and she actually has okay French. But this country will never make a brown woman from an Oakville riding the PM.

The LPC itself? I struggle to understand if it's the base or the elites that are out of touch. Because if it's the base supporting policies like the student ponzi, we're going to be in real trouble as a country.

I hate that you're right on the raw politics of this because I'm a big fan of Anita Anand and she actually has okay French. But this country will never make a brown woman from an Oakville riding the PM.
The British have a brown PM. There’s always hope. But a brown non-Quebecer must have mass appeal in BC, AB, SK and MB. ON can be assumed.

Last edited:
But this country will never make a brown woman from an Oakville riding the PM.

On what basis do you draw the conclusion?

Ujjal Dosanjh, a South Asian Canadian, was previously Premier of BC

Wab Kinew a First Nations Canadian just became Premier of Manitoba.

I don't think the country is so closed minded on this as you might imagine.

Do I think Quebeckers, given a choice, tend to vote for one of their own (of whatever background), yes.

This disproportionately effects the Liberals.

As to women, its worth noting that there have been female Premiers in BC (x2), Alberta (x2), Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, PEI and Newfoundland

Reactions: DSC

Do I think Quebeckers, given a choice, tend to vote for one of their own (of whatever background), yes.

Asked and answered.

Also, the likelihood of a brown woman winning the leadership of the CPC is even lower than such a person winning the leadership of the LPC if she comes from outside of Québec.

It's just hard for Canadians to admit to this kind of bias because then we have to admit that our superiority complex vis a vis the US has chinks in the armour. Somebody like Obama wouldn't have survived the first few rounds of a leadership contest in our federal parties.

Last edited:

Ujjal Dosanjh, a South Asian Canadian, was previously Premier of BC

Wab Kinew a First Nations Canadian just became Premier of Manitoba.

I don't think the country is so closed minded on this as you might imagine.

As to women, its worth noting that there have been female Premiers in BC (x2), Alberta (x2), Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, PEI and Newfoundland
Quebec is a fair bit more ethnonationalist than ROC, and the LPC can't win without winning Quebec. Running against PP, a white guy with a French name, competent French, representing a Quebec-adjacent riding might be too much of a challenge. Maybe if Anand were running against an Albertan like Harper.

We also had a women PM from June to November 1993. Kim Campbell’s 132 days as Prime Minister is longer than either John Turner’s or Charles Tupper’s and not much worse than Joe Clark’s.

Last edited:
Quebec is a fair bit more ethnonationalist than ROC, and the LPC can't win without winning Quebec. Running against PP, a white guy with a French name, competent French, representing a Quebec-adjacent riding might be too much of a challenge. Maybe if Anand were running against an Albertan like Harper.

The LPC at this point is basically a coalition of Quebec federalists and ROC urbanites. The CPC is mostly an Anglo-Canada suburban and rural party. Both of these parties basically have norms and biases that favour certain kinds of candidates.

Can't really win leadership in the LPC if you aren't from Quebec these days. And if by some miracle you do win from outside Quebec, your party won't win the general election because Quebecers won't vote for an ROC leader.

And I can't see the CPC ever actually picking a minority leader federally. Heck, just look at the trouble their first trans candidate is going through. Picking a female leader nationally would be a big step for them.

Canada may be progressive. But our federal politics is definitely not. Anybody but a white guy from Quebec who speaks French starts piling on handicaps.

We also had a women PM from June to November 1993. Kim Campbell’s 132 days as Prime Minister is longer than either John Turner’s or Charles Tupper’s and not much worse than Joe Clark’s.

1993 PC =\= 2023 CPC

Heck, today's CPC is not even like Harper's CPC. I wonder if women like Rona Ambrose and Lisa Raitt would have same opportunities and profile today. Would the CPC base ever elect Melissa Lantsman to leadership?

Back