News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Invisible at night! Yeah that's safe.

Ontario’s government denies there is a problem with the plates. “The government consulted with key stakeholders, including our law enforcement partners, to test the readability, reflectivity and functionality of the new high definition plate design.”

There is no way those were looked at in an operational setting. Not a chance.

Is the company that designed and/or manufactured them somehow related to someone in government or in the party?

Because this must be some nepotism rubbish if I've ever seen it. They are fully non-functional at night.

I'm checking the internet, pre-Fox News.............very few mentions of it.............it may be 'fake news' ! ;)

These licence plates are fake news....I'm half expecting to wake up tomorrow and realise I imagined the whole thing because the thought of my government being that incompetent due to rigid adherence to ideology or nepotism leading to contracts makes me kinda sad.

Cool and normal!

407ETR says they are not an issue for their readers, which might make sense since they probably don't scan purely at the optical level.

Interestingly, our daughter mention a week or so ago that she say one at night under her headlights and could not read it. One would hope that they didn't make the whole damned surface reflective, and that the non-reflective parts were matte. I have yet to see one.

No, it's the OPP's job.

Our politicians don't control the police. That's China.

My point was that conservatives were playing the blame game and saying that the feds tell the various provincial police organizations what to do. Just glad that Taverner isn't in charge.

407ETR says they are not an issue for their readers, which might make sense since they probably don't scan purely at the optical level.

Interestingly, our daughter mention a week or so ago that she say one at night under her headlights and could not read it. One would hope that they didn't make the whole damned surface reflective, and that the non-reflective parts were matte. I have yet to see one.

I was having that discussion with my dad tonight. My son also saw a few of the new plates.

Last edited:

I suspect they use IR, not VIS cameras. I guess now someone will have an excuse to get night vision goggles.

In other news - from the Globe:

AoD

"They are actually very readable," says PC minister Lisa Thompson about the glowing blue license plates. "We welcome feedback, but we know they are legible." she adds.

"We are confident in the plates. We stand by our plates."

Last edited:
"They are actually very readable," says PC minister Lisa Thompson about the glowing blue license plates. "We welcome feedback, but we know they are legible." she adds.

You're correct. We have to stand by next to the new plates to read them.

Apparently we should trust the minister more than our own eyes. There are 5 lights.

AoD

History of Ontario license plates at this link.

CN_ONTA_GI3.jpg

CN_ONTA_GI4.jpg

The two-tone blue is what is very readable (numbers nearly invisible). Clearly this what she and the party thinks is most important. ?

Back