News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Some pictures from the evening of September 16, showing new colours such as red and green, in addition to the blue seen earlier. This was the first time I'd gone right up to the base of the building at night with the LEDs on. The podium is quite stunning in person. My nighttime photography isn't great and I found the red in particular didn't come out nearly as bright as in person, but hey no one else is taking pictures.;)

Great shots, building looks fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

I'd love to see a few more LED colour installations around town, especially on condo rooftops, where appropriate. I'm having a vision of a soft blue LED installation atop Casa for evening illumination instead of another boring white lit rooftop.

Oh boy... the slippery slope into lighting overkill has begun.

I actually see LED's becoming a bigggg thing that will define cities/skylines in the 2000's/2010's... but it's definitely going to go out of style eventually, as so many things in style and architecture do.

I do think it's "cool"-- without a doubt. And individually can be very pleasing to the eye. But all at once, tons of buildings doing this-- it takes away from the enjoyment of the individual ones. Each building's lighting scheme will distract and take from another.

18 Yorkville's roof feature is lit up in white, and it still looks stunning because it's highlighting the roof feature without screaming "look at me!!!".

I hate to rain on the parade, because I too love lighting features, but when they all start to distract from individual lighting schemes, that's going to suck. Maybe I am wrong, but I do think this is going to become a big thing in Toronto.

(PS. CityPlace has lighting features that 1) are part of the skyline and 2) compliment eachother quite well, so I don't count that as an issue.)
EDIT: Maybe my thoughts will change on this because I suppose LED's are easy to turn off to allow for changes in the future depending on what's in style. We'll see how much this catches on.

Last edited:

I actually see LED's becoming a bigggg thing that will define cities/skylines in the 2000's/2010's... but it's definitely going to go out of style eventually, as so many things in style and architecture do.

I do think it's "cool"-- without a doubt. And individually can be very pleasing to the eye. But all at once, tons of buildings doing this-- it takes away from the enjoyment of the individual ones. Each building's lighting scheme will distract and take from another.

18 Yorkville's roof feature is lit up in white, and it still looks stunning because it's highlighting the roof feature without screaming "look at me!!!".

I hate to rain on the parade, because I too love lighting features, but when they all start to distract from individual lighting schemes, that's going to suck. Maybe I am wrong, but I do think this is going to become a big thing in Toronto. Lighting has always been in style.

(PS. CityPlace has lighting features that 1) are part of the skyline and 2) compliment eachother quite well, so I don't count that as an issue.)
EDIT: Maybe my thoughts will change on this because I suppose LED's are easy to turn off to allow for changes in the future depending on what's in style. We'll see how much this catches on.

I would be concerned if it was anything but LED lighting. LED lighting is so flexible that all buildings that incorporate them will be able to coordinate their lighting in the future. The old way of lighting up buildings did not allow for this since bulbs could not produce more than 1 colour.

Also, lighting up buildings is nothing new. Toronto had way more lighting in the past than it does today. This stopped as lighting the buildings became too expensive. LED's have just made the idea possible once again.

Well at least if it goes out of style there is a very cheap solution to that problem: just keep the lights turned off!

I hate to rain on the parade, because I too love lighting features, but when they all start to distract from individual lighting schemes, that's going to suck. Maybe I am wrong, but I do think this is going to become a big thing in Toronto.

(PS. CityPlace has lighting features that 1) are part of the skyline and 2) compliment each other quite well, so I don't count that as an issue.)

I agree with your points but I just want to point out that I certainly don't advocate most or every highrise installing LED lighting. Some, where appropriate. I find appreciation with LED lighting (mainly the CN tower) in the winter when everything is so grey and depressing! A little more colour without overkill could really add some extra excitement to our skyline.
RBC is a fine example of such.

The distraction might go away if the buildings coordinate their lighting patterns with each other. Hong Kong has done this quite well with its 'Symphony of Lights' sound and light show.

2162462503_df569d289d_b.jpg

Maybe RBC Centre should speak to the people at the CN Tower (or even the Rogers people at SkyDome) to coordinate their lighting.

The distraction might go away if the buildings coordinate their lighting patterns with each other. Hong Kong has done this quite well with its 'Symphony of Lights' sound and light show.

Maybe RBC Centre should speak to the people at the CN Tower (or even the Rogers people at SkyDome) to coordinate their lighting.

I keep using this example, but they do it so well so ill use it again. Philadelphia coordinates their entire skyline's lighting so that everything follows a certain theme. This is possible because it is controlled by their BIA which covers the entire center city. Even shorter buildings which cannot be seen in the skyline along the Avenue of the Arts are part of this program. If Toronto could establish some kind of lighting council, im sure the same effect could be achieved.

ie. Everything in white
104451048_780831013a_o.jpg

Everything in blue
spaceball.gif

Everything in pink (minus comcast)
2910667543_b27bd4f3cf.jpg

Avenue of the Arts in blue
3692706776_cf90c54fe7.jpg

Last edited:
I had a tour of one of the RBC-Dexia floors last week (I'm moving to the building in November with Royal Bank). No photos allowed :(, but it looked great. Wide-open spaces with exposed, smooth concrete ceilings and lots of natural light. Definitely much more modern and minimalist than other towers in which I've worked.

^ Hope you like it. My company did the interior work!

Everything in pink (minus comcast)

Maybe that photo was taken during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I went to Chicago in May a few years ago and everything was lit in pink... Sears Tower, John Hancock Center, Wrigley Building, Buckingham Fountain, etc. It appears to be a big night-lighting event over there.

Maybe that photo was taken during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I went to Chicago in May a few years ago and everything was lit in pink... Sears Tower, John Hancock Center, Wrigley Building, Buckingham Fountain, etc. It appears to be a big night-lighting event over there.

Indeed it was for breast cancer awareness month. They even dye the fountain pink!

Im off to Chicago next Saturday for a week! Ill be sure to get pics from there.

Back