News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

LABinterior.jpg

L.A.B. (Live and Breathe) 651 College St.

I had dinner here last week...Wow!
I loved it!

My wife and I were stealing bites off each others plates.

For appetizer, she ordered the Bison Carpaccio with juniper berry cream sauce and micro greens, I had cornmeal crusted drumettes with spicy pepper jelly and ...ummm, I forget the cream sauce but it was fantastic.

For the main she ordered a carrot risotto with candied root vegetables, I had a veal sous vide with cigar smoked gnocci. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed these.

Desserts were far and away the most original. I had a roasted apple and cheddar tart with curry Ice Cream. I never imagined curry ice cream would be something I would want but it was amazing. My wife had a spicy chocolate cake, not spicy like cinnamon but heat spice that just blew me away.

Prices were reasonable. App $9-$10, Entrees were maybe $18-mid $20's. Dessert was $7-10. A mid range bottle of wine $50.

I thought the decor was as eclectic/funky as the vibe from the customers.

Staff was great, friendly without being intrusive.

If you want something new and different, this is it.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/toronto/archive/2010/04/16/restaurant-review-l-a-b-live-and-breathe.aspx
http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/opening-daily-dish/2010/04/15/just-opened-lab-another-jolt-of-life-for-college-street/

Acqua Ristorante in BCE/Brookfield Place will close Friday after 16 years. Lease expired was the reason given.

(small blurb in Toronto Star today)

Chipotle's second Canadian unit coming soon to 2323 Yonge (just north of Eglinton) in the old Country Style

Chipotle to be just north of UrbanToronto's offices? Wahoo!

Looks like a huge area for tex-mex fast food! Quesada is going in south of Y&E, and the only Moe's in the 416 east of the intersection.

St.Lawrence/Financial District New Restaurants

I noticed the signage for "South of Temperance" over the parking garage entrance at the Bay Adelaide Centre; and the "BLD" signage for the space at Toronto/Adelaide. Does anybody know the background of these places? Will they actually be something to look forward to?

The Bloordale is open for business! I almost ate brunch here today, but skipped it for another spot. Next weekend, perhaps? It was already busy today. At Blansdowne.

dsc03834g.jpg

Do we like the menu?

dsc03835t.jpg

I've gotta start eating out in this 'hood! Disgraceland, the Pistol, Calico, Curry in a Hurry, the Bloordale Pantry, and more! It's becoming the new Parkdale, imho. (I love it!)

For example, another new bar is set to open soon, even closer to where I live. :D At Bloor and Symmington, in "no man's land." Ambitious.

dsc03826i.jpg

Urbandreamer, thanks for the tip on Waxy's. I am headed to Hamilton this weekend for a basketball tourney and I will have to drag the the 16 year old basketball players there for lunch (with the hope that it will not slow down their afternoon games too much).

Did you make it to Waxy's? If so, what did you think? (Make certain to ask for it hand sliced.) The meat itself is smoked somewhere in the GTA, not on site in Hamilton. Honestly, it tastes like Pancer's to me, so maybe same source? Just so refreshing that it's priced affordably and the owner is so friendly.

--------------------------------

Has anyone gone to super trendy "The Atlantic" on Dundas West? I just looked at the menu and laughed at the description for their mint tea--"the terrorist." haha.

Sadly, I'm not cool enough to have been there yet--or rather, I don't have a cool enough gf to justify eating out anymore.... :(

I did make it and it was fantastic. I went to the location on King Street (downtown, in a very run down strip of retail). It was handcut and I had the smoked meat (I am not even sure Pancers has smoked meat). It was melt in your mouth good and exceptionally cheap. We shared among a group of smoked meat virgins, who were all amazed at how much they liked it. Heck, I have had goat-head soup. There is no reason why a few jane finch kids can't try some jewish soul food.

Back