News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It definitely is.

Shoeless Joe's is opening on King, just at the corner of Ed Mirvish Way, in the basement, where Philthy McNasty's used to be.

Western Canada based Earl's is opening a location at the north-west corner of King and York in February.
There has been a lot of activity in the place every time I have walked by this month, so I can believe they will open on or about February 12 as claimed.

It could definitely be a FiDi casual lunch and after work booze can type place, but I'm not sure if they could pull the pre-club/show crowds or pre/post game crowds up to that rather low visibility location.
I think those crowds are necessary to really make a place like that viable. But, then again, the Keg on York seems to make it work, so we'll see.

http://www.earls.ca/locations/search/details/78/toronto/restaurant/earls-toronto-king-street

Ya, I posted about Earl's a while ago. I really don't think it will work if it's anything like the Earl's at Square One. They have horrible service, and the food is not all that great either.

The food and service in Earl's here is pretty good, as is the value IMO. Much better than their competitors like Joey's. The dining room and the bar are extremely loud though, much like the atmosphere I saw at The Bottom Line on Front.

Harvey's will soon be opening in Liberty Village. Appears they will be taking over the former Select Sandwich space in the retail strip next to Metro.

Has anyone yet tried The Gabardine on Bay at Richmond? Very positive reviews from friends, although I haven't yet personally tried it.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/da...opub-in-the-middle-of-the-financial-district/

That space used to be occupied by a pub whose owner famously said she couldn't stay in business because there were "always" pan-handlers scaring away customers. I suspect it was the mediocre food for gourmet prices that scared people.

The chef has worked at some fantastic places and the menu looks great (I am now craving their mac&cheese). I walked by recently and was amazed to see how bright and airy the space looks now compared to its prior occupant's decor. I am sure they will succeed.

Mercatto may need a facelift to stay competitive, though they still have that tiny patio!

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been posted or not, but there is a Boston Pizza opening up on the main floor of the CBC building on Front St.

Not sure if it's been posted or not, but there is a Boston Pizza opening up on the main floor of the CBC building on Front St.

At the corner of Front & Simcoe where Marche was? Great news, even if it's a Boston Pizza. That space has been empty forever.

Apparently Mercatto was recruiting at the Eaton Centre last weekend for its new restaurant there. I guess they really will open this month after all.

Back