News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I also wish we'd put out-of-province cities on highway signage. It seems so provincial to put Cornwall on a sign indicating the distances to major cities along the 401 but not to include Montreal.
We do.

1280px-401_Highway_distance_sign_%2848702850941%29.jpg

c3be92e2651cc4d1dcea5bc45d4afff0--ontario-road-trip.jpg

I don’t mind Kingston as a control city, given its relative importance, but Cornwall? Montreal should be the next control city after Kingston.

Some of the states are worse. Pennsylvania is really bad, for example.

I don’t mind Kingston as a control city, given its relative importance, but Cornwall? Montreal should be the next control city after Kingston.

Some of the states are worse. Pennsylvania is really bad, for example.
Cornwall has a highway connection to the USA and given the mileage and spacing from Kingston to Montreal, makes sense to be a control city. This does not preclude Montreal being included on mileage signs. (And as many of those signs are well past there ‘best before dates’ and are almost invisible at night and especially in the winter months, upgrading and making changes should be on someones to-do list).

You could have signs on 401 to either Detroit (westbound) or Montreal (eastbound).

The M Live article does say however that "On Sept., 9, officials in Michigan and Canada signed a memorandum of understanding to connect trails on either side of the border the new bridge over the Detroit River, which is scheduled to open by the end of 2024."

So it sounds to me like your biggest issue with it is being addressed; there's definitely more in the works than just a lane on the bridge with a customs booth at either end.

Do even Michiganners not know what Ontario is?

^^ I know, but this is in a border city, not deep in the heart of Texas.

I thought anyone reading that post would've got the drift.

Do even Michiganners not know what Ontario is?
You be surprise how little residents know what is outside their state, let a lone their city. and this also applies to Canada.

This applies worldwide also

You be surprise how little residents know what is outside their state, let a lone their city. and this also applies to Canada.

Having lived in Michigan (and New Jersey, too, for that matter), I'd tend to agree. But it really is far worse on the US side of the border.

I worked at one of the Ontario Travel Information Centres at a border crossing for a few summers and the ignorance of some travellers left me shaking my head.

Back