News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The road deck installation has now advanced past the GO entrance and over the West end of the streetcar loop. It also appears they're keeping the final 4 bent caps at the East end intact like the ones around the GO entrance.

DJI_20240809154227_0007_D.jpg

DJI_20240809154607_0010_D.jpg

It might be awhile, even until after the CNE, before we see more road deck installed, as the crane has been removed from the site. Based on what I've seen so far, they've left it on site even when taking a few week days off from road deck installation.

Tender call for EAST SECTION @ CHERRY

Open Solicitation Record​

Type: Notice of Intended Procurement
Posting Title: Request for Proposals for Engineering Services for the Detailed Design of the F.G. Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Boulevard East Realignment from Cherry Street to Don Valley Parkway
Document Number:Doc4 744087267Ariba Discovery Posting Link:https://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/20723386
Publish Date: August 22, 2024
Issue Date: August 22, 2024
Submission Deadline: September 19, 2024 at 12:00
Description: Request for Proposals for Engineering Services for the Detailed Design of the F.G. Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Boulevard East Realignment from Cherry Street to Don Valley Parkway

Does anyone know if any kind of newer tech is being used on this road deck? We learned years ago that concrete is porous and doesn't protect the rebar from salt damage. I know there are lots of new technologies like using specially treated rebar, coating the rebar in rubber or even using composites instead of metal at all. Anything used? Or in typical Toronto fashion are we just building as cheaply as possible, repeating the same mistakes and screw the future.

Does anyone know if any kind of newer tech is being used on this road deck? We learned years ago that concrete is porous and doesn't protect the rebar from salt damage. I know there are lots of new technologies like using specially treated rebar, coating the rebar in rubber or even using composites instead of metal at all. Anything used? Or in typical Toronto fashion are we just building as cheaply as possible, repeating the same mistakes and screw the future.
There are a couple new details that should make the structure more durable:
- Stainless steel are being used in areas prone to chlorine penetration (i.e. top of the deck, barrier walls, pier caps)
- Concrete deck waterproofing
- Elimination of deck expansion joints to prevent water leakage into the pier bents (this is the most effective aspect of this rehabilitation)

FYI, epoxy-coated rebars are not very corrosion-resistant and are no longer used in bridge structures.

There are a couple new details that should make the structure more durable:
- Stainless steel are being used in areas prone to chlorine penetration (i.e. top of the deck, barrier walls, pier caps)
- Concrete deck waterproofing
- Elimination of deck expansion joints to prevent water leakage into the pier bents (this is the most effective aspect of this rehabilitation)

FYI, epoxy-coated rebars are not very corrosion-resistant and are no longer used in bridge structures.
What about fiberglass rebar? I've seen more examples of this being used in bridge/road construction in Canada. While one can argue it's more expensive, you can actually deliver more material per shipment and its easier to move on site due to it's light weight. IMO this is the project to use that on, but I'm glad to hear that there are already other efforts being made to mitigate deterioration (esp. waterproofing)

What about fiberglass rebar? I've seen more examples of this being used in bridge/road construction in Canada. While one can argue it's more expensive, you can actually deliver more material per shipment and its easier to move on site due to it's light weight. IMO this is the project to use that on, but I'm glad to hear that there are already other efforts being made to mitigate deterioration (esp. waterproofing)
In terms of price, I think FRP and stainless reinforcements are somewhat similar, stainless steel might even be more expensive.

There are some constructability issues with FRP bars because they are very brittle compared to steel. They are hard to bend and are almost impossible to be field bent. In addition, if the City ever wanted to modify the structure which requires chipping out the FRP-reinforced concrete, the FRP rebars will break very easily and likely cannot be reused.

The MTO has standard details for concrete barrier walls where FRP rebars are used exclusively. FRP reinforcement is definitely something that is always considered in a new design or a rehabilitation project.

Back