News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm ok with the 412 because it provides a valid bypass route to get TO the 407 (as opposed to using the 404), but overall I think the 407 East isn't needed. Though at least it's tolled so the Province can recoup some of the capital cost of building it.
Just like the 407, the 413 was to be tolled.....and cost recovery was not the reason given for cancelling it......we are all about new technologies providing different ways to move people and goods......at least in this one corner of our region.

Just like the 407, the 413 was to be tolled.....and cost recovery was not the reason given for cancelling it......we are all about new technologies providing different ways to move people and goods......at least in this one corner of our region.

They're both sprawl-inducing highways. That the government made a mistake to move forward with one isn't sufficient reason to go ahead with another simply for the sake of balance.

They're both sprawl-inducing highways. That the government made a mistake to move forward with one isn't sufficient reason to go ahead with another simply for the sake of balance.
If they are both bad things, balance would have been not going ahead with either.

Directly from the government's paper:

1542308312246.png

I oppose this highway.

I have some hope that restarting the EA is only a modest waste of money, as there are no dollars set aside to deliver this project whatever an EA may say.
I heard MTO was planning on financing it largely with tolls - it would become a 407 East 2.0.

While many may not like this highway, it is fairly badly needed.

I heard MTO was planning on financing it largely with tolls - it would become a 407 East 2.0.

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on the need.

I believe we can meet existing travel demand in this area by shifting people's modality. (ie. beefing up transit choices).

A new highway, like the 407 before it, will act as a sprawl promoter; and will induce additional traffic. Not desirable.

Would a Hwy 413 Extension to Stouffville be needed too, or just a complete fantasy?

I wish we could get a proper ring road highway that doesn't involve switching highways multiple times. Ugh

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on the need.

I believe we can meet existing travel demand in this area by shifting people's modality. (ie. beefing up transit choices).

A new highway, like the 407 before it, will act as a sprawl promoter; and will induce additional traffic. Not desirable.

There are these things called trucks. Not so easy to shift their modality as the GTA population grows steadily.

GTA West would greatly alleviate all trucks heading east on 401 then north on 400. The interchange badly needs relief.

Maybe not a full fledged highway but a single road to get across the northern gta is needed. Right now its just a bunch of sideroads and none run all the way through the region.

I'm not a huge highway lover, but I really think that this is needed. It creates a great link across the Western GTA, and could be used to take trucks coming down the 400 and heading towards London off the 401 within the central GTA. This project is going to be controversial however, as environmental groups won't like its vicinity to the Greenbelt.

Back