News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I agree - and have also wondered if the new Deerfoot bridge over Glenmore eliminates the double pier and just has a single center pier to allow Glenmore to be widened beyond 2 lanes each direction when the existing bridge is demolished - I sure hope so.
Is the existing be demolished?

Is the existing be demolished?
Unsure. Could divert traffic onto the new and then demolish the existing and rebuild, or build another new bridge to the west of the existing and then demolish the existing. If it isn't demolished, Glenmore will still be 2 lanes each way.

I agree - and have also wondered if the new Deerfoot bridge over Glenmore eliminates the double pier and just has a single center pier to allow Glenmore to be widened beyond 2 lanes each direction when the existing bridge is demolished - I sure hope so.
Not destroying previous bridge( may rehab). End of the day I believe between new and old bridge there will be 3 lanes each direction plus dedicated on off lanes on both sides

Not destroying previous bridge( may rehab). End of the day I believe between new and old bridge there will be 3 lanes each direction plus dedicated on off lanes on both sides
Glenmore cannot be widened to three lanes each direction under the existing bridge.

I'm surprised that the movement doesn't have more traffic. That may be because it is so difficult. A dedicated flyover would likely unlock latent demand. Ultimately, Glenmore will become Calgary's most important road:
-near the N-S axis of the city
-links all of the major freeways (Stoney East bypass, Stoney West bypass, Deerfoot, Crowchild)
-traverses the bottleneck created by Glenmore Reservoir
-services the enormous commercial traffic generator of Foothills Industrial

Does the new bridge under construction at Deerfoot allow 4 through lanes each way on Glenmore?

I could see that island of land wedged between Deerfoot, Glenmore and the river being redevelopment in the medium term. It would likely need to be raised above flood plain.
Plus the fact that Glenmore is currently the only E-W crosstown route that's (almost) free flowing inside ring road. The ROW exists in Foothills Industrial for interchanges, so it theoretically could be Calgary's equivalent to Edmonton's Whitemud Drive.

Personally I'd like to see Hwy 1 moved from 16 Avenue to Glenmore Trail, but that’s more of a pipe dream.

Is there a plan on a shelf somewhere? Would there be similar issues with acquiring land on Siksika as there were with Tsuut’ina?
I found this which seems to show (on page 24) future plans still using 22X, but as an alternative to and not a replacement of the current highway 1. It also shows the route to 22X not using the current 901 through Siksika, but instead bypassing the reserve.

IMG_1506.jpeg

I found this which seems to show (on page 24) future plans still using 22X, but as an alternative to and not a replacement of the current highway 1. It also shows the route to 22X not using the current 901 through Siksika, but instead bypassing the reserve.
I was one of the submitters during that open house back in the day.

We had land (and lived at the time) on RR253, South of Strathmore and just North of Glenmore Trail.
The planned highway 1 realignment was just going to clip us, but would have cut our neighbours farm right in half.

There was overwhelming opposition to the whole thing, and I believe preliminary surveys also found the ground South of Eagle Lake to be unsuitable for economic highway construction.

An alternative plan to build a Southern bypass of Strathmore, closer to town became the more likely option, and I believe is still in play.
The whole thing gave us a fright, and was one of the reasons we finally sold up, moved to Calgary.

For those that lived here for a while, has Deerfoot's road quality always been so bad? Drove from downtown to Seton and there were so many potholes (hard to judge which ones are small enough to glide over and which ones are too big) and was very uncomfortable because of how uneven the roads are. Is it just due to the current construction?

For those that lived here for a while, has Deerfoot's road quality always been so bad? Drove from downtown to Seton and there were so many potholes (hard to judge which ones are small enough to glide over and which ones are too big) and was very uncomfortable because of how uneven the roads are. Is it just due to the current construction?
No. The quality is highly dependent on winter weather, both very cold cycles and freeze thaws. A couple bad winters, and patching only takes the quality back up so far, and it will just continue to be poor until a full resurface. Last two winters have done a number.

The biggest problem with that stretch of Deerfoot is that it was originally concrete. Every expansion joint across the road lifted and was horrendous to drive on. maybe 15 years ago they put approximately 12 inches of asphalt on top of the concrete. It didn’t seem to bond very well because the seams split between the lifts and pot holes seemed appear within a few years. Not sure what they can do besides a complete rebuild

Back