News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ah, I love long-exposure with sodium streetlight illumination. They give a natural sepia, warm, surreal quality that you can never achieve with metal halide or LED lights.

They may be photogenic at this location, but I generally dislike seeing streets bathed in orange light. Metal halide light is closer to the colour temperature of daylight, which means less spatial discolouration. As you walk or drive down a street with metal halide street lights in the summer, you can see the leaves on trees are a vibrant shade of green. With sodium lights, everything is bathed in orange light.

Last edited:
Oh, aren't you clever. I see what you did now ;)

and here I was thinking you were suggesting that he take my tag out of the photo using ps when you were just unaware that's my take on the watermark.

Ah, I love long-exposure with sodium streetlight illumination. They give a natural sepia, warm, surreal quality that you can never achieve with metal halide or LED lights.

Enjoy them while you can! I was in Mississauga last weekend and saw a bunch of street lights that are now white LEDs. There was one instance where it was 8-10 of the new LEDs and then one old one then back to the LEDs. The difference was so drastic. Shouldn't be too long before Toronto does the same.

but I generally dislike seeing streets bathed in orange light.

That's how I felt about "soft white" incandescent bulbs after CFL true white/day light bulbs came out. I switched all the bulbs in my house really quickly. After getting used to proper white light all the time I became irriatated every time I saw soft white used elsewhere. Seeing things bathed in that yellow light reminds me of old newspapers after they change colour.

Reactions: PL1
I thought highway lights would remain sodium orange after the street light switchover to dark sky compliant lighting? On that note, does anyone know when the latter will come to fruition across the city?

I was in Kingston in August and all the street lights in the core and residential areas that I saw were white LEDs. I'm really interested to see how similar lighting will change the look of our suburbs at night. Those cobraheads give off so much glare.

They may be photogenic at this location, but I generally dislike seeing streets bathed in orange light. Metal halide light is closer to the colour temperature of daylight, which means less spatial discolouration. As you walk or drive down a street with metal halide street lights in the summer, you can see the leaves on trees are a vibrant shade of green. With sodium lights, everything is bathed in orange light.

True. Metal halide is much closer to white light, but imo it's still a bit too high in the blue spectrum. I'm actually not a big fan of either... I mostly appreciate these sodium lights in images like on the previous page. It gives a reddish 'golden hour' look, but in the middle of the night - which makes the image somewhat surreal. But both MH and HPS are still a lot better than the old school low-pressure sodium streetlights we used to have lining roads like the Gardiner. When first turned on they'd appear pink like watermelon, but then end up solid orange and looking like a slice of cantaloupe on a pole.

I've wondered, should lighting at night try to replicate the light of the sun, or should it try to replicate the light of the moon (only brighter)?

It's not different as a result of being indirect?

Huh. Makes sense, I guess. Now I feel foolish.

Last edited:
The quality of sunlight and moonlight is not the same - depending on the substance, reflection causes certain wavelengths to be absorbed. Also there is atmospheric (Rayleigh) scattering to consider as well.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...sessionid=FDCE65DD4C7A82B95DC8CD9CA5A82927.c1

The paper also detailed perception differences due to human physiology.

AoD

That article requires a subscription, but the difference between sunlight and moonlight is about 2000k. It isn't that big.

Last edited:
Let's just say that moonlight is sunlight reflected from the Moon, but it is already modified upon reaching our eyes, as compared with direct sunlight. The Moon does not produce light of its own.

Back