News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

But...there's "comfortable in their own skin", and then there's "complacent in their own skin".
And moreover, you know something...when you talk about "breathing new life into run-down parts of town" etc, you portray such "run-down parts of town" in such generic, simplistic, mute, dumb terms. It's like, any local history, stories, organic "getting a feel" means nothing. However, I sure wouldn't want someone who's responsible for such a teardown/EIFS-ification to have a say in anything verging on heritage matters.
And so, when you say in the most generic terms
I wouldn't want a jerk like you in my neighbourhood, or in any self-respecting neighbourhood. Vamoose.

Okay, you need to chill out and get the hell off your high horse. Sure, you may not find Ford's antics entertaining, but apart from startling some communities with inconsequential gaffes, what wrong has he done? I also don't enjoy your tone regarding people who may or may not have architectural taste to discuss matters of heritage preservation. It’s definitely not something to demonize people for. I think YOU should get yourself out of the city: we really don't want intolerant people giving people a bad image of Toronto (see how the patronizing tone is really irritating?). Better to be complacent now and make Council fight to earn our votes and respect, than to be apathetic then wonder why things are continuing to slowly but surely get worse.

What are you talking about? The complaint about the LRV yard was that it would create noise to residents on Leslie Street, disturb an old age-home, and make it more difficult for those turning from Lesle to Lakeshore during morning rush-hour. I haven't heard much talk of impact to local businesses. In particular, I'd think putting that many TTC employees at that location would help many local businesses.

I'm opposed because it is going to add streetcar tracks and traffic where they currently don't exist: down Leslie, across Eastern, and up Carlaw. More than 100 of the new LRV streetcars will travel this track twice a day. There are over 100 homeowners on or near Leslie Street that will be affected by this. I'm opposed because although it will create some jobs, the job density for the site will be really low. I'm opposed because it's going to make a bad traffic situation on Eastern even worse. I'm opposed because it's going to have vast paved areas (where the streetcars will park, and where the employees will park). I think if you look at the Greenwood yard, you'll see all the reasons why this new yard shouldn't be situated directly adjacent to the neighbourhood, if it can be avoided. There are other sites close by which make better sense. There don't seem to be any businesses benefitting from the TTC Connaught yard; in fact, that area is a bit of a wasteland. As well, there don't appear to be many people in the yard working those "high quality" jobs we were promised. Maybe that's why there are no shops around the yard: there are too few people working there to support any development.

The city should create a mixed use project for the old film studio lands. Why not allow the development of movie theatres, shops, offices, and housing on the land? The city wouldn't need to tear down all the old buildings, and it could probably save some money, which is always good. Once again, the city of Toronto and Mayor Miller are showing their true priorities. That land is prime real-estate and the city is quickly running out of such spaces. It should be used as an exciting space, which will bring people in, create jobs, and make Leslieville residents PROUD.... a parking lot for streetcars will not do that.

I hadn't caught a reference to that in what you wrote earlier ... and quite honestly, I really am not loosing much sleep about her attempts to support local business (you seem to want it both ways, either she is against local business, or for local business). They've been operating this for years, and built up the business from scratch.

Well of course you aren’t losing any sleep over this, you appear to have no scruples. Every contract the city has with its properties should be open to public tender and they should not get an automatic renewal without tender. And they even lowered the % from 2007 and the rent is the same for this new contract? WTFH! Why has the rent not gone up? Do these people have relatives/friends in City Hall? Oh yeah almost forgot, Tuggs and Bussin have a personal history. This is clearly not right. So they built the building, big deal, this happens in all businesses everywhere and when you are dealing with a city you have to go to public tender. The process in which the lease was awarded by the City of Toronto appears to be seriously flawed.

Would you prefer that it got tendered and ended up being run by some large national chain like McDonalds or Taco Bell? Do you complain that when the city makes sweetheart deals with MLSE about Toronto FC, that they didn't tender it to whoever wants to run a major league soccer club?

The deal clearly is not to prevent chains from coming in. The boardwalk pub has a Pizza Pizza window. Last time I checked that was a chain. This deal prevents local businesses from selling food at events. Tuggs has a monopoly and the local family run restaurants cannot compete during popular summer events such as the Jazz festival. Not only is the guy not paying market rates for the amount of traffic the concessions are exposed to… but with his reputation for overpriced food and lack of service one could only wonder what motivated each of the councilors that voted for this golden handshake. Is it really true that Bussins and Miller closed the item for discussion… and then when 17 city councilors went home for the evening …they called their friends and rammed it through on a vote of 15 to 12. Of course I expect no worse from the City Councillor who ranked the lowest of the low when it comes to matters of fiscal restraint and frugality: http://www.taxpayer.com/sites/default/files/City Council Votes on Waste and Savings.pdf

After awhile, the beautiful waterfront just does not make up for the dusty retail. Don’t get me started. Why not put out an RFP for each individual location and give some local businesses the chance to bid. Lumping all three together eliminates the small guy due to operating costs required?

Your ignorance here is shocking.

Pot meet kettle!

And why do you ignore my question of why are you claiming that Rob Ford will improve transit in Toronto, given his desire to eliminate much of TTC service. Why do you lie to us?

Eliminate or make more efficient? Ford's proposal is a prerequisite for solving this city's problems. Before you can solve our problems with transit, traffic, roads, waterfront, etc. you have to get the financial house in order. If you don't, there will be no money to address these issues. Ford's proposals for cost cutting are a necessary first step. IMO, many routes can be and ought to be interlined, many upgraded to BRT status, a few to subways, many reduced to once an hour frequency and have their end-of-service at 10 PM. I've been thinking about this for years, everytime the TTC cries to the gov't for more money to transport on average 5-10 people per trip along several routes. Ford at least is willing to investigate how the TTC’s being operated to find ways to improve the service and make it more affordable for both its users and financiers. The other candidates seem to have no problem with the waste and inefficiencies being allowed to go on under the current TTC administration’s watch. Maybe privatization wouldn’t be so bad after all. Maybe governments should NOT be running service monopolies. It's not good for anyone.

Eliminate or make more efficient? Ford's proposal is a prerequisite for solving this city's problems. Before you can solve our problems with transit, traffic, roads, waterfront, etc. you have to get the financial house in order. If you don't, there will be no money to address these issues.

I'm tired of hearing this. We've been hearing it for something like two decades now from every level of government. The federal and provincial governments both spent years in surplus because we bought into this argument, and you know what? Stuff still didn't get done and now the country has an infrastructural deficit in the hundreds of billions of dollars. It's like we're living on the street to save up for a castle, but it's awful hard holding down a job when you don't have regular access to a shower. As cliche as it sounds, sometimes you do have to spend money to make money.

Eliminate or make more efficient? Ford's proposal is a prerequisite for solving this city's problems. Before you can solve our problems with transit, traffic, roads, waterfront, etc. you have to get the financial house in order. If you don't, there will be no money to address these issues. Ford's proposals for cost cutting are a necessary first step. IMO, many routes can be and ought to be interlined, many upgraded to BRT status, a few to subways, many reduced to once an hour frequency and have their end-of-service at 10 PM. I've been thinking about this for years, everytime the TTC cries to the gov't for more money to transport on average 5-10 people per trip along several routes. Ford at least is willing to investigate how the TTC’s being operated to find ways to improve the service and make it more affordable for both its users and financiers. The other candidates seem to have no problem with the waste and inefficiencies being allowed to go on under the current TTC administration’s watch. Maybe privatization wouldn’t be so bad after all. Maybe governments should NOT be running service monopolies. It's not good for anyone.

Yep!

Anti-Transit!

That land is prime real-estate and the city is quickly running out of such spaces. It should be used as an exciting space, which will bring people in, create jobs, and make Leslieville residents PROUD.... a parking lot for streetcars will not do that.

Did you really just say this? Have you been to the site before? Did you try breathing while there?

If you have functioning odour receptors, then you'd understand why this site will not become an exciting attraction for Leslieville.

I think if you look at the Greenwood yard, you'll see all the reasons why this new yard shouldn't be situated directly adjacent to the neighbourhood, if it can be avoided.
The proposed Ashbridges yard is not directly adjacent to any neighbourhood. What the hell are you talking about?

There are other sites close by which make better sense.
Please, name them.

I'm tired of hearing this. We've been hearing it for something like two decades now from every level of government. The federal and provincial governments both spent years in surplus because we bought into this argument, and you know what? Stuff still didn't get done and now the country has an infrastructural deficit in the hundreds of billions of dollars. It's like we're living on the street to save up for a castle, but it's awful hard holding down a job when you don't have regular access to a shower. As cliche as it sounds, sometimes you do have to spend money to make money.

You misinterpret what I mean when I say to clean financial house. Government wages, pensions and personal expenses would be a good place to start cutting waste. Politicians from all walks have had a free reign on spending for years. All crown corporations should be part of this as well. Lets start with a 10% cut with these individuals. I am sure this would save at least a billion or two a year. When times are bad these clowns get no increase. When times are good their increase is based on inflation from now on. I bet by doing this alone the HST could be eliminated from heat and Hydro. Think of it people. For every dollar an MP contibutes to his or her pension the taxpayer kicks in $4.50. Not a bad gig if you can get it. Reduce this to $2. Still a lucrative pension compared to almost everyone else.

Yep!

Anti-Transit!

Did you even read that paragraph? When does improving the service quality along the majority of corridors constitute as anti-transit? Do you want your fare to be raised even higher to justify running empty buses all over the city at midnight? I could call you anti-transit for your repeated advocacy of a $110 million per kilometre light-rail down the lesser trafficked section of Finch Avenue. Your boondoogle siphons desperately needed funds away from higher priority routes and corridors elsewhere in the city.

Why can't the streetcar yard be built underground, with park and social housing (with grocery store, library etc) above? Short term pain (cost) for long term gain.

Great idea, we can call the new development "Immediately Downwind From the City's Largest Sewage Treatment Plant Place". This is prime real estate after all! One of the few remaining prime areas left! People will come from all around to put on the complimentary noseplugs and shop shop shop! This will surely make Leslieville PROUD!!

Did you really just say this? Have you been to the site before? Did you try breathing while there?

If you have functioning odour receptors, then you'd understand why this site will not become an exciting attraction for Leslieville.

Just north of the treatment plant, on Woodfield and on Woodward there are residences. Have you been to the site before? How come we can make RC Harris a Wastewater Treatment Plant that doesn't stink, but Ashbridge's must remain stinky in perpetua? Nobody in their right mind would want a 22 acre industrial complex of any type constructed in their neighbourhood. Leslieville now has a voice and is simply tired of being where the rest of Toronto dumped what they didn't want in their own backyards many decades ago: Don Jail, treatment plant & garbage dump, to name a few. People are also much more educated these days about the repercussions of damage and contamination that many of the heavy industrial plants have left in the area.

The proposed Ashbridges yard is not directly adjacent to any neighbourhood. What the hell are you talking about?

Please, name them.

Yes, but it'll still require heavy LRT traffic down Leslie and across Eastern at all hours of the day and night. That translates into constant adverse noise pollution for residents, that results in vehicles competing with LRVs for road space, which will lead to less customers visiting local businesses. This proposed yard is also considerably bigger than the Connaught Yard and isn't exactly creating new jobs, since the other two facilities will be closing. With respect to community disruption, there are 5 other locations selected (2 shortlisted) that are south of Lakeshore Ave, just a short distance away. These are all in contaminated industrial lands, and would have little or no impact on community life - particularly Unwin Ave.

The city should create a mixed use project for the old film studio lands. Why not allow the development of movie theatres, shops, offices, and housing on the land? The city wouldn't need to tear down all the old buildings, and it could probably save some money, which is always good. Once again, the city of Toronto and Mayor Miller are showing their true priorities. That land is prime real-estate and the city is quickly running out of such spaces. It should be used as an exciting space, which will bring people in, create jobs, and make Leslieville residents PROUD.... a parking lot for streetcars will not do that.

It is patently obvious FS has no idea where the proposed LRT yard sits on - it's on Lakeshore and Leslie, right besides Ashridges Bay Sewage Treatment Plant and surrounded by industrial land uses. The site is fallow and probably contaminated, sold to the City by the TPA for a nominal sum of what, one buck as part of the settlement with the said organization. No one in the right mind would build anything mixed use on it. If there is one site where this sort of land use is appropriate, this is it. Clearly someone didn't do their homework before coming on here and rant about the project. Who do you think you are, showing up and looking ill-prepared - like Rob Ford?

As to the negatives, here is an analysis of the traffic, by period of the day:
Expected weekday use –230 trips per day
-85 trips outbound between 5am and 7am
-30 trips inbound between 9am and 10am
-30 trips outbound between 2pm and 3pm
-45 trips inbound between 7pm and 9pm
-40 trips inbound between 1am and 2am
http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/lrv/pdf/2010-04-08_presentation.pdf

Not exactly taking place during the height of rush hour.

And yes, the Unwin site - building 3km of new streetcar track to the middle of nowhere isn't exactly my idea of cost effectiveness - in terms of travel time/labour cost and energy/material use - not sure if it is yours.

Just north of the treatment plant, on Woodfield and on Woodward there are residences. Have you been to the site before? How come we can make RC Harris a Wastewater Treatment Plant that doesn't stink, but Ashbridge's must remain stinky in perpetua? Nobody in their right mind would want a 22 acre industrial complex of any type constructed in their neighbourhood. Leslieville now has a voice and is simply tired of being where the rest of Toronto dumped what they didn't want in their own backyards many decades ago: Don Jail, treatment plant & garbage dump, to name a few. People are also much more educated these days about the repercussions of damage and contamination that many of the heavy industrial plants have left in the area.

Nice try - it's not "just north of" - it is separated by an industrial land use that is the Canada Post facility - with LOTS of delivery trucks I might add. And RC Harris is a water treatment facility responsible for drinking water, not sewage - to make this mistake is just hilarious (and yeah, wait till I get you worked up over that piece of Art Deco industrial architecture and how much money it cost) Did you do your homework, or are you trying to test us to see if we are paying attention again? I might also add that unlike the proposal, the Russell yard is smack in the middle of residences and a far worse fit in terms of land use interfacing.

Speaking of inappropriate land uses and requirement for lots of parking in lots - what do you have to say about another project, say the expansion at Woodbine? I am curious about your take on the impact of THAT project would be to the neighbourhood, in terms of traffic, crime and other impacts. Surely you must have plenty of good things to say about that, no? Or on that matter, how subway running above ground through a neigbourhood is going to be less intrusive.

AoD

Last edited:
Am I crazy? I thought the proposal would just see streetcar tracks run down Leslie from Queen to the new facility at Lakeshore & Leslie. What's this 'across Eastern' stuff?

Just north of the treatment plant, on Woodfield and on Woodward there are residences. Have you been to the site before?
I was there earlier today. Didn't see any houses, but if there are any, I pity the people who have to put up with that smell every day.

How come we can make RC Harris a Wastewater Treatment Plant that doesn't stink, but Ashbridge's must remain stinky in perpetua?
Probably because RC Harris is not a sewage treatment plant.

Nobody in their right mind would want a 22 acre industrial complex of any type constructed in their neighbourhood. Leslieville now has a voice and is simply tired of being where the rest of Toronto dumped what they didn't want in their own backyards many decades ago: Don Jail, treatment plant & garbage dump, to name a few. People are also much more educated these days about the repercussions of damage and contamination that many of the heavy industrial plants have left in the area.
Not sure what your point is? Do you think that the sewage plant should be shut down to save the neighbourhood? Do you think people want to go back to having no sewer systems??

Yes, but it'll still require heavy LRT traffic down Leslie and across Eastern at all hours of the day and night. That translates into constant adverse noise pollution for residents, that results in vehicles competing with LRVs for road space, which will lead to less customers visiting local businesses. This proposed yard is also considerably bigger than the Connaught Yard and isn't exactly creating new jobs, since the other two facilities will be closing. With respect to community disruption, there are 5 other locations selected (2 shortlisted) that are south of Lakeshore Ave, just a short distance away. These are all in contaminated industrial lands, and would have little or no impact on community life - particularly Unwin Ave.

So let me guess, if the yard was located on Unwin avenue, that would solve the problem of streetcars entering and exiting the yard, how? Will the streetcars be able to magically fly from the Unwin location, in a manner which is somehow impossible to do from Ashbridges?

Freshy, can you try see this from our perspective? You have repeatedly demonstrated that you have little to no grasp of reality. If you are representative of a typical Rob Ford fan, can you understand why the rest of us should be worried?

I also don't enjoy your tone regarding people who may or may not have architectural taste to discuss matters of heritage preservation. It’s definitely not something to demonize people for. I think YOU should get yourself out of the city: we really don't want intolerant people giving people a bad image of Toronto (see how the patronizing tone is really irritating?).

Okay, let me try to figure this out. According to some particularly perverse Ford-world logic, a teardown spec-builder should be favoured to sit on a municipal heritage committee over a qualified historian or heritage expert, because he's more in touch with the common folk's non-elite notion of what "heritage" is.

dr_nick_riviera_1hlgnax27n7og0ss8s40c80k0_6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w_th.jpg

That's like saying he should be Toronto's Medical Officer of Health, because he has the layman's perspective someone like Sheela Basrur lacked.

Back