News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I said that RC Harris is a wastewater treatment plant, not sewage
RC Harris is not a wastewater treatment plant. It treats lake water to make it drinkable. It's a water treatment plant. You don't get odour issues, etc., around water treatment plants. I suppose there's some remote possibility of some accident regarding chlorine gas ... but I've never heard of such a thing happening.

I'm not anti-transit for suggesting that this will be an imposition on residents. It just will be.
Virtually any transit project will impose on residents somehow. Even subway lines (see the fuss about a simple new exit for Donlands station!). The Unwin location would also be as big of an impact on the community, and the TTC proposed that for this location, they would also build tracks down Leslie. If the only issue for you is the impact of the tracks down Leslie, why are you pushing a location that would have had tracks down Leslie?

Virtually any transit project will impose on residents somehow. Even subway lines (see the fuss about a simple new exit for Donlands station!). The Unwin location would also be as big of an impact on the community, and the TTC proposed that for this location, they would also build tracks down Leslie. If the only issue for you is the impact of the tracks down Leslie, why are you pushing a location that would have had tracks down Leslie?

If the use of Leslie's unavoidable then there's no point in me arguing this any further. I would've at least thought they could make use of the tracks planned for Cherry St though as a possible connector to upto King/Queen: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/planning_the_community/cherry_street_transit . There it would've been welcomed as residents would know when buying into the neighbourhood to expect LRT traffic running at all hours, in Leslieville's case this is an intrusion, one more imposition being added into the nabe.

Why would anyone vote for Rob Ford? Why would Toronto want someone who can actually manage their finances? :rolleyes: Torontonians love politicians who lie and waste money (see McGunity, Dalton). Torontonians also love politicians who bend over for the public sector unions (see Miller, David and Moscoe, Howard) while shafting the citizens. Isn't it every Torontonian's dream to pay higher property taxes and user fees while having services reduced? That Rob Ford guy would just make Toronto better and the citizens will have none of it.

Here's a little secret I'll let you in on: if he becomes mayor, Ford won't be managing city finances. He'll also have to deal with all those pesky elected councillors. Some of them would be a problem for him. Should Ford be elected, it would actually be fun to watch the more intelligent councillors like Adam Vaughan make cracks about Ford that Ford won't understand. In part, Ford won't get it because he can't, and because he will be preoccupied by his lack of grasping the myriad of issues typically encountered in the governing of a large and complex cosmopolitan city. Such a realization would stymie most people from offering up simplistic solutions, but I doubt that would stop Ford. He's in the business of providing more for less, or even less for less, though he can't quite express his thoughts that way. Needless to say, he would blame someone else for that, too.

Your argument is not helped by shitting on the citizens of this city who don't happen to share in your slavish backing of Mr. Ford. And it's cheap and boring to characterize politicians you disagree with as liars and money-wasters. Nothing like beating on public servants, either. Always an easy target. All in all, not one thing that you have said about Ford provides any evidence that he would be a good mayor (there is zero to indicate that he could be a great mayor; that's beyond his reach). I see nothing but failure and resulting damage to the city. Of course, Ford and his supporters would sing their song of how the evil unions, public servants and those awful elected councillors messed things up. Only if they had all gone away.

Did you even read that paragraph? When does improving the service quality along the majority of corridors constitute as anti-transit? Do you want your fare to be raised even higher to justify running empty buses all over the city at midnight? I could call you anti-transit for your repeated advocacy of a $110 million per kilometre light-rail down the lesser trafficked section of Finch Avenue. Your boondoogle siphons desperately needed funds away from higher priority routes and corridors elsewhere in the city.

Reducing routes to 60 minutes, and cutting service after 10p.m. is anti-transit. It's an attack on the elderly, and infirm, the people you supposedly champion. Pathetic.

ROTFLMAO! Rob Ford's already a member of the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), Executive Committee and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), Business Excellence Advisory Board. :) Shows what you know and what municipal heritage committees think of guys like Ford's contribution to the city.

The TRCA isn't a "municipal heritage committee". That's like calling RC Harris a sewage treatment plant.

I'm just throwing suggestions out there to gather what others of the planning community think on these issues. When you're in conversations don't you ever say the wrong thing occasionally? I said that RC Harris is a wastewater treatment plant, not sewage, but that's irrelevant now that I know exactly where the site will be located. The comments about it being prime real estate in the midsts of a thriving community obviously were related to the film studios property that I had confused with 9 Leslie. I was just so caught up in proving my argument that I looked out some data from last year and inadvertantly thought it was still relevant to the current situation. I apologize to all for coming to those false conclusions based on the bad info that I was receiving. I'm impulsive and brash but my heart's in the right place. I'm not anti-transit for suggesting that this will be an imposition on residents. It just will be. I'll be more diligent next time when factchecking these things since I know I can count on your unwavering scrutiny to set things straight.

I'm not saying all this to insult you, I'm just showing you how the Rob Ford Doctrine only makes sense to the uninformed. Mouthing off on something you know nothing about is what this candidate is all about. Try understand how this behavior turns some of us off.

If the use of Leslie's unavoidable then there's no point in me arguing this any further. I would've at least thought they could make use of the tracks planned for Cherry St though as a possible connector to upto King/Queen: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/plann...street_transit . There it would've been welcomed as residents would know when buying into the neighbourhood to expect LRT traffic running at all hours, in Leslieville's case this is an intrusion, one more imposition being added into the nabe.

Do you even know the waterfront plans and the timelines involved? There won't be any connection south to Unwin anytime soon - in fact, the main precincts south of Keating Channel isn't even going to be started until the 2025+ timeframe; and south of the Shipping Channel, 2035+:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo...e_committee_presentation___june_14_2010_1.pdf (p. 39)

So what you're suggesting is that all the new bridges should be built to connect to Cherry just to enable a LRV facility on Unwin. That certainly makes a lot of economic sense. Even using such a route for the selected site is problematic considering the plans for LDL.

As to "intrusion" on Leslieville - please, go on Google Maps and look at the stretch of Leslie in question and tell me just how "residential" it is, compared to the siting of the existing Roncesvalles and Russell carhouse.

AoD

Last edited:
I can't imagine what it would be like to live in Leslieville and have a streetcar go through the neighbourhood day and night. That would be unprecedented for a Toronto neighbourhood.

kettal:

Denial, reluctant admission of error, add a bit of "I am human, I make mistakes" confessional, plus the touchy-feely "my heart is in the right place" - sounds like the typical RF apology to me. This little bit is telling however:

I apologize to all for coming to those false conclusions based on the bad info that I was receiving

Note the blame is placed on "the bad info he was receiving" - presumably from someone else, and not one's failure to look up info and factcheck.

FS:

Rob Ford's already a member of the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), Executive Committee and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), Business Excellence Advisory Board.

No offense, but 14 individuals are appointed to the TRCA board by the City Council - seats that have to be filled, basically. Certainly less glamorous than you think.

AoD

Last edited:
I can't imagine what it would be like to live in Leslieville and have a streetcar go through the neighbourhood day and night. That would be unprecedented for a Toronto neighbourhood.

I lived near the Roncesvalles carhouse as a kid. No problem.

I've noticed my sarcasm isn't picked up by W.K. Lis too. Back to the topic of the thread... Rob Ford is a brilliant man and his in depth analysis of city finances, master plans for a better Toronto, and insight on the solutions to reduce social inequity will make him a major asset to the city if elected mayor.

I've noticed my sarcasm isn't picked up by W.K. Lis too. Back to the topic of the thread... Rob Ford is a brilliant man and his in depth analysis of city finances, master plans for a better Toronto, and insight on the solutions to reduce social inequity will make him a major asset to the city if elected mayor.

Hell, the man deserves sainthood.

Back