News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

3 months to go....the city will switch over to Ford's. Gotta love it. North of Dupont, the city loves Ford. I predict the condo kids love him too, as their parents would vote Ford if they lived within the 416 suburban zone.

At the end of the day, as in all politics, nothing will change.

And I'm certain Rob Ford would be flattered that UT-ites have devoted a thread to him--where are the other candidate's threads? Right, no one cares about them! (Rob Ford--14,500 page views; Rossi, Smitherman etc-0 page views.) Brilliant marketing strategy!

Last edited:
Okay, let me try to figure this out. According to some particularly perverse Ford-world logic, a teardown spec-builder should be favoured to sit on a municipal heritage committee over a qualified historian or heritage expert, because he's more in touch with the common folk's non-elite notion of what "heritage" is.

That's like saying he should be Toronto's Medical Officer of Health, because he has the layman's perspective someone like Sheela Basrur lacked.

ROTFLMAO! Rob Ford's already a member of the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), Executive Committee and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), Business Excellence Advisory Board. :) Shows what you know and what municipal heritage committees think of guys like Ford's contribution to the city. Provided that more than half of City Council has educational backgrounds that have nothing to do with politics (our TTC Chair has an archaeology degree for Pete's sake!) I would think that perhaps people need to put less stock in academic smarts and a bit more on street smarts. David Miller with his Harvard economics degree has run Toronto into financial ruin with one of the highest annual municipal budgets in the Western hemisphere!

I would think that perhaps people need to put less stock in academic smarts and a bit more on street smarts. David Miller with his Harvard economics degree has run Toronto into financial ruin with one of the highest annual municipal budgets in the Western hemisphere!

Yeah, it's them over-educated pointy-headed intellectuals who can't even park their bicycles straight that are the problem. What this city needs is good old common sense of Rob Ford who will cut the number of councillors in half, get rid of plant waterers at City Hall and save us from catastrophe.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I know a lot of ridiculous mistakes were made in this thread - such as confusing a water treatment plant with a sewage plant - but what I find really hilarious is that you didn't know that Rob Ford is on the Business Excellence Advisory Board! HILARIOUS! Rolling on the floor! Laughing! My Ass Off!

Okay, you need to chill out and get the hell off your high horse.
No. You are shilling for a transit-hating NIMBY, yet at the same time you lie to us that you support transit. Chilling out is the last thing that should be done. You are a hypocrite, and this needs to be made clear. When the cat shits in the corner, what do you do? You rub it's nose in it. You have shit in the corner, and you need to have your nose rubbed in it.

Sure, you may not find Ford's antics entertaining, but apart from startling some communities with inconsequential gaffes, what wrong has he done?
What has he done wrong? Apart from abusing his relative, abusing children, abusing reporters, breaking ethical guidelines regarding spending, missing council meetings, abusing alcohol, making racist comments, making bigoted comments, and lying? Do you need more?

I'm opposed because it is going to add streetcar tracks and traffic where they currently don't exist: down Leslie, across Eastern, and up Carlaw.
What on earth are you talking about? Let's be clear. You oppose this, because you are a transit-hating NIMBY. The only kind of transit you'd support is that which will neither be seen nor heard. Subway. What you want is unrestricted car access.

There's no tracks going in anywhere near Carlaw. There's nothing new going in on Eastern (the tracks nearby on Eastern aren't going to be used, and have been there for about 90 years). And there's a short section going in on Leslie, that is also planned for a future route. No matter where we build a yard, it has to connect to the network.

There are over 100 homeowners on or near Leslie Street that will be affected by this.
Complete and absolute BS. There are only a handful of houses on Leslie near the tracks. And it's a pretty scuzzy area. Anyone else who is impacted are people trying to drive through to get to the Gardiner. But that's right, you don't want anything to interfere with cars.

I'm opposed because although it will create some jobs, the job density for the site will be really low. I'm opposed because it's going to make a bad traffic situation on Eastern even worse.
You oppose this, because you are a transit-hating NIMBY.

I'm opposed because it's going to have vast paved areas (where the streetcars will park, and where the employees will park).
Umm ... so basically you oppose streetcar yards ... period. Even those, like this, build in industrial areas.

I think if you look at the Greenwood yard, you'll see all the reasons why this new yard shouldn't be situated directly adjacent to the neighbourhood, if it can be avoided.
And this is where you demonstrate you complete ignorance on the issues. The yard is no where near any housing. It's over 200 metres from the edge of the yard to the nearest house ... and that house is across the street from a huge Loblaws! The yard is being built on excess land of a sewage treatment plant! Across the street is a big-box complex with Canadian Tire. Across the other way is a huge parking lot and a Loblaws; next to that are warehouses and the fire department's training facility. Kitty-corner is another huge parking lot and a Price Chopper. This is nothing at all like Greenwood Yard!

The city should create a mixed use project for the old film studio lands.
What do the old film studios have to do with this? The streetcar yard is south of Lakeshore. The old films studios are on Eastern, north of Lakeshore. Hang on a minute ... you are so utterly ignorant on this issue you've been spouting on about, that you actually think that they are putting the new yard on the film studio property? How can you say so much, and be so unaware of what is actually gong on?

The city wouldn't need to tear down all the old buildings
Once again you demonstrate your ignorance. There are no building on this land!

Well of course you aren’t losing any sleep over this, you appear to have no scruples.
You pretend to be pro-transit, and then trash any transit proposal that involves buses or streetcars ... and you accuse me of not having any scruples? You don't live in this ward, yet you want to force a McDonalds or something like that on us?

Your ignorance on these issues is shocking!

Am I crazy? I thought the proposal would just see streetcar tracks run down Leslie from Queen to the new facility at Lakeshore & Leslie. What's this 'across Eastern' stuff?
If you read his posting in detail, it becomes clear that he thinks the new LRV yard is going on the old Toronto Film Studios property. He has demonstrated that he's willing to argue against any transit project, without actually even bothing to read about it. You might say he did a "Rob Ford". Or perhaps one could call it doing a "Fat Fuck".

Freshy, can you try see this from our perspective? You have repeatedly demonstrated that you have little to no grasp of reality.

kettal it's abundantly clear that I have profound grasp on reality, on municipal issues, on the affects of public transit routing and infrastructure probably moreso so than the Beaches resident whom challenged my knowledge of the local issues facing his ward. It's immaterial as to where the storage facility is located so long as it's using Leslie Street as its primary route of getting vehicles into and out of the location. That I confused it with the proposed Eastern site was I misspeak on my part, I'll admit that, but it doesn't change the focal point of my argument.170 vehicular movements of clanging steel against steel during evening, late night and early morning hours sounds awfully brutal. It's Leslie Street residents and businesses that stand to suffer the most. What's at Unwin now, and isn't the Portlands due to be getting new light-rail trackbeds in the near future anyway? They could build it there at that location kilometres away from habitation and spare local residents from enduring months of road reconstruction and years after that of incessant streetcar noise.

If you are representative of a typical Rob Ford fan, can you understand why the rest of us should be worried?

Whatever! If you weren't going to vote for him anyway, my antics won't have swayed your opinion of him one way or the other. I'm an eccentric, proud of it, and frankly don't care whether I'm popular, just that I'm heard.

kettal it's abundantly clear that I have profound grasp on reality
I think we have demonstrated otherwise here. Your ignorance of where the streetcar yard is shocking ...

I'm an eccentric, proud of it, and frankly don't care whether I'm popular, just that I'm heard.
Or perhaps you just are proud of how many times you could Fat Fuck up?

Your a disgrace to the community!

You pretend to be pro-transit, and then trash any transit proposal that involves buses...

If you read his posting in detail, it becomes clear that he thinks the new LRV yard is going on the old Toronto Film Studios property. He has demonstrated that he's willing to argue against any transit project, without actually even bothing to read about it. You might say he did a "Rob Ford". Or perhaps one could call it doing a "Fat Fuck".

It was one of the sites considered for the new yard though and until very recently, like less than a month ago, was the designated site chosen. It might surprise you to know that many residents still think it's the Leslie/Eastern site that's at risk. It still will involve over 200 LRV motions up and down Leslie regardless. The Portlands location would not have affected anyone. And I don't see where I ever argued against bus transit proposals whether in this thread or anywhere in the T&I subforum.

I think we have demonstrated otherwise here. Your ignorance of where the streetcar yard is shocking ...

No, I started on that tangent because it was well-documented by angry residents whom didn't want it in their community. Now that I know its somewhat distanced away, perhaps it's a better situation, although alternate locations that do not require the use of a residential-commercial street could have been chosen. Portlands is poised to have a series of new streetcar lines feeding into it. It's not inconceivable that the City could've picked somewhere with as minimal disruption to local residents as possible.

Or perhaps you just are proud of how many times you could Fat Fuck up?

Your a disgrace to the community!

Asking questions is Fat Fucking up? If I never probed for more info via displaying all the info I had gathered on the subject matter, I never would've known about the last minute change of venue. It wasn't documented in the news. And you try navigating city records. But this is all windowdressing to the real issue here. When the public seeks to find out why the city's not working for them, they are met with derision and scorn, like "How dare this simpleton challenge our well oiled machine. How dare he/she demand greater accountability and timely response to local concerns." I'm sensing that same air of elitism from your comment.

kettal it's abundantly clear that I have profound grasp on reality, on municipal issues, on the affects of public transit routing and infrastructure...

Okay, let's see how good your grasp of reality from ONE PAGE of this thread is...

- You think RC Harris is a sewage treatment plant?
- You think streetcar tracks will be added to Eastern Ave?
- You think the stinkiest block of land in the city is "Prime Real Estate"
- You think there are already houses in that area?
- You think you can cut thousands of people's wages by 10% and still expect them to show up and do their job?
- You think there is a neighbourhood that is in the direct vicinity of the streetcar site?
- You think modern LRVs going on a straight street are louder than the thousands of cars, trucks, and motorcycles that already use the street?

That's just one page. Multiply that by 42 and you have this thread. Multiply it by 800, and you have your posting history.

It was one of the sites considered for the new yard though and until very recently, like less than a month ago, was the designated site chosen.
No it wasn't. Your lying again. The old Film Studio property was eliminated from consideration about 10 months ago. There was a post on this on September 18, 2009 when they selected Ashbridges Bay - http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.p...il-Vehicle-(LRV)-Maintenance-Storage-Facility

TTC officially approved the Ashbridges Bay location in December 2009.

It might surprise you to know that many residents still think it's the Leslie/Eastern site that's at risk.
The ignorance of NIMBYs shouldn't surprise. Often they are very uninformed, self-centred people.

Asking questions is Fat Fucking up?
Certainly not! Making conclusions and going on massive diatribes without ever reading the briefing documents that are in one's sweaty hands is fat fucking up.

If I never probed for more info via displaying all the info I had gathered on the subject matter, I never would've known about the last minute change of venue.
There has been no last-minute change of venue. The venue was selected almost a year ago. Why do you continue to lie?

Last edited:
Okay, let's see how good your grasp of reality from ONE PAGE of this thread is...

- You think RC Harris is a sewage treatment plant?
- You think streetcar tracks will be added to Eastern Ave?
- You think the stinkiest block of land in the city is "Prime Real Estate"
- You think there are already houses in that area?
- You think you can cut thousands of people's wages by 10% and still expect them to show up and do their job?
- You think there is a neighbourhood that is in the direct vicinity of the streetcar site?
- You think modern LRVs going on a straight street are louder than the thousands of cars, trucks, and motorcycles that already use the street?

That's just one page. Multiply that by 42 and you have this thread. Multiply it by 800, and you have your posting history.

I'm just throwing suggestions out there to gather what others of the planning community think on these issues. When you're in conversations don't you ever say the wrong thing occasionally? I said that RC Harris is a wastewater treatment plant, not sewage, but that's irrelevant now that I know exactly where the site will be located. The comments about it being prime real estate in the midsts of a thriving community obviously were related to the film studios property that I had confused with 9 Leslie. I was just so caught up in proving my argument that I looked out some data from last year and inadvertantly thought it was still relevant to the current situation. I apologize to all for coming to those false conclusions based on the bad info that I was receiving. I'm impulsive and brash but my heart's in the right place. I'm not anti-transit for suggesting that this will be an imposition on residents. It just will be. I'll be more diligent next time when factchecking these things since I know I can count on your unwavering scrutiny to set things straight.

Back