News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am a resident of the old city of Toronto so your not paying a greater share than i am. However I was born and grew up in Scarborough. The city is only as strong as its weakest link. Give those parts of the city that need better transit (subways not buses) and it will make for a stronger and more prosperous city for everyone.

There is little correlation between building a subway, and attracting the developments post construction to justify the subway's construction. The Sheppard stubway is a good example of how development was not spurred by the new line, and today, fewer riders use it per day than the King, Queen, or Spadina streetcar lines. It costs the TTC (thus taxpayers) 8 dollars per rider in subsidy to run the Sheppard subway. Not a fiscally responsible way to build transit.

To your point about Scarborough not getting its due, Mayor Miller's Transit City sought to redress years of Scarborough being left behind in transit planning by delivering the Eglinton LRT, Sheppard LRT, and Scarborough Town LRT. We must remember that the main funding for today's Scarborough subway was procured due to the previous administration's efforts, and the fact Scarborough is getting 3 major transit projects in the near future is not really due to any efforts by Ford. If you are indeed from Malvern, your praise of the Mayor should also be tempered by the fact that your area of the city would have received higher order transit if Transit City had not been gutted by Ford. As it stands today, folks in Malvern will still have to slog it to STC in order to access any higher order transit.

This is a wonderful post, it's too bad he's going to ignore it.

I too am a resident of the old city of Toronto so your not paying a greater share than i am. However I was born and grew up in Scarborough. The city is only as strong as its weakest link. Give those parts of the city that need better transit (subways not buses) and it will make for a stronger and more prosperous city for everyone.
Agreed, but it doesn't have to be an overly expensive subway which serves less than the LRTs that were already proposed and funded. And I say this also having grown up in Malvern (east of Malvern Mall), where almost my entire family lives. They all would have been much better served with the original LRT plan.

I get the impression that this entire debate is about Scarberians simply wanting their "fair" share as apposed to what the best options actually are. And I put "fair" in quotes because that is a perception, not a reality.

Give those parts of the city that need better transit (subways not buses) and it will make for a stronger and more prosperous city for everyone.

Yes, good...glad you support a DRL ;) comrade!

Scarborough residents have been paying for transit in other parts of the city for YEARS…it’s our turn now to get back some of those transit dollars. Have you not stopped and thought about the fact that with the new subway will come more residential development?! This is exactly why Ford will win re-election, he actually cares abt parts of the city that past mayors have forgotten about and lefty downtown councilors have fought against. Thank you Rob Ford!

I live in Scarborough. I have no university degree, I have a college certificate. I am not a "downtown lefty elitist". I am able to come to my own conclusions based on evidence and experience.

I agree that Scarborough has been left behind transit-wise.
I do NOT support replacing the SRT with a subway. The damn thing should be an LRT. Projected ridership, current and future population, and COST say so.

Rob Ford only cares about votes. He'll yell and bully his way to as many votes as possible.

Rob Ford feels city workers who sleep on the job should be fired. I am anxiously awaiting his resignation.

http://drivingtheporcelainbus.blogspot.ca/2011/07/rob-ford-sleeps-through-deputations.html?m=1

Ha. I needed that.

I just posted in the Riverdale thread that a DRL is imperative. Try getting on the Bloor/Danforth line to Pape at rush hour. Four buses run north from Broadview, and I think another four from Pape. Carlaw and Eastern at rush hour are becoming unbearable, and it's only because drivers are trying to get further east and north ... Scarborough and beyond via Kingston Road. The 72 bus, which runs from Union to Pape, now moves at a snail's pace and it's proof that a relief line would be useful.

But let's get back to RoFo, shall we?

ETA: Ford must suffer from sleep apnea. I wonder if he gets treatment.

All this talk about Scarborough not having a subway, was wondering when before the 1998 amalgamation they moved the boundary from Victoria Park to Brimley?

And for the record, while I do think that there is an argument for a subway extension over an LRT (for reasons I've mentioned numerous times), Ford has poisoned the well and polarized the issue to the point that whatever mode you support defines whther to you are left or right wing.

Rob Ford feels city workers who sleep on the job should be fired. I am anxiously awaiting his resignation.

http://drivingtheporcelainbus.blogspot.ca/2011/07/rob-ford-sleeps-through-deputations.html?m=1

Even worse are City employees who simply do not come to work at all and expect to receive full pay!

(Interesting that the photo of the supposedly sleeping Parks worker was taken by Georgio Mammoliti - one might have thought that the reaction to his Pride photography exploits in 2012 might have restrained his photographic urges.)

(Interesting that the photo of the supposedly sleeping Parks worker was taken by Georgio Mammoliti - one might have thought that the reaction to his Pride photography exploits in 2012 might have restrained his photographic urges.)

That might be the reaction you would expect from a decent, non-sociopathic human being with a functioning moral compass and a sense of remorse and shame. But we're talking about Mammoliti.

Wow, what a glaring statistic. Shame it was released a week too late.

Why so few for Scarborough Centre? The whole reason for these centres is to concentrate residential and employment growth at these hubs. The city really needs to find a way to shift some of downtown's growth to other parts of Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back