News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarborough residents have been paying for transit in other parts of the city for YEARS…it’s our turn now to get back some of those transit dollars. Have you not stopped and thought about the fact that with the new subway will come more residential development?! This is exactly why Ford will win re-election, he actually cares abt parts of the city that past mayors have forgotten about and lefty downtown councilors have fought against. Thank you Rob Ford!

Are you actually from Malvern? Because you know that this hugely expensive and totally inefficient subway totally screws Malvern, which would have been served by the LRT, right?

I honestly can't understand this reaction. It's like the province offered to kick Scarborough in the nuts when if promised to build an LRT.

But you're getting your subway now. And by "getting your subway", I mean "paying a lot for something that will not help you for at least a decade and probably not even then."

Congratulations.

I do support a DRL...after Scarborough gets its subway.

Hahahaha... sorry, that's AWESOME! Where are you going to GO on that subway, Yonge & Eglinton? King & Bay? No, you're not going to go to either of those places, 'cause they'll be too jammed to enter/exit/transfer. So, you'll go to, I assume, Sheppard?

I guess you could do the loop and go to York U by not getting off until University line...

Last edited:
Why does "downtown" get all the subways? It might have something to do with this map. As you can see, in order to "deserve" subway, you have to have high-population density.

In other words, you can have subways, or you can have McMansions - not both.

Population-Density.jpg

And that's 2006 census data. I imagine those deep blue areas (12k and over) have grown since then.

As has been pointed out numerous times, downtowners rarely ride the subway, the subways aren't for people who live downtown, they're for people who live in the suburbs or outer core who commute downtown. Personally I use the over crowded streetcars, which means I usually end up walking to my destination because it's faster (not because of the problems with Streetcars, but because of the fact that Mayor Ford rejected the 20 minute maximum wait that was instituted, and lowered the amount of street cars operating on the lines I depend on, traffic congestion, street parking and an absence of dedicated street car lanes).
On the "I've paid for your transit" bs: My family in St.Catharines has contributed tax dollars that will be going towards this terrible subway decision. My husband's family in Western Ontario (a place that has virtually no transit options) are also contributing tax dollars towards it. When the Scarborough subway is being funded by Federal, Provincial and Municipal dollars, you can't play the "I pay for this" game.
I am 100% in support of a transit fund that helps connect cities, or other parts of Toronto to the core. Toronto is the capital of the Province and the hub of the economy, it deserves decent transit, but it deserves reasonable transit that will have sufficient return on investment. The fully funded LRT that would have served numerous parts of Scarborough, that was fully funded and would have been maintained by the province was a better investment than three subway stops.
This one decision is going to have us paying for decades and Toronto still won't have adequate transit.

Last edited:
Scarborough residents have been paying for transit in other parts of the city for YEARS…it’s our turn now to get back some of those transit dollars. Have you not stopped and thought about the fact that with the new subway will come more residential development?! This is exactly why Ford will win re-election, he actually cares abt parts of the city that past mayors have forgotten about and lefty downtown councilors have fought against. Thank you Rob Ford!

I seriously doubt Rob Ford cares much at all about people in Scarborough. He only 'cares' because he knows they'll vote for him. The Scarborough subway extension is nothing more than a vote-getting exercise; it's certainly not a sound planning decision.

Miller did more for suburban transit than Ford has or will ever do. He expanded service pretty significantly in suburban areas. Transit City was essentially a suburban transit plan. There are two lines under construction right now that are from the Miller era (the subway extension to Vaughn and the Eglinton LRT that serves a lot of suburban transit users). Calling him a 'lefty' doesn't change this reality.

Transit infrastructure isn't a toy. You don't build subways in suburbs just because their are subways downtown. Different infrastructure is appropriate for different areas based on needs and other factors. Subways were built in the city because the city needed them; they were the best transit solution available based on usage.

If Ford was a true Conservative and actually cared about the residents of the city and the transit system he would've been fully behind the Scarborough LRT (which is a fantastic solution for Scarborough) and lobbied to put whatever other funding was available into the first phase of the DRL. That would've done more for suburban residents (in and out of Scarborough) than this pointless 3 stop subway extension ever will.

Last edited:
As has been pointed out numerous times, downtowners rarely ride the subway, the subways aren't for people who live downtown, they're for people who live in the suburbs or outer core who commute downtown.

Thank you! This is so seldom pointed out. I take the subway once a month, at best. Usually to get to some destination outside of the core. Streetcar is my main mode of transportation (which I mostly prefer to subway).

I think some people have a hard time understanding the issue, so they assume a subway coming to their area is like in an old western where everyone wants the railroad to go through their town so they can all get rich.

It has been confirmed that the title of Robyn Doolittle's book is Crazy Town: The Rob Ford Story. The 304 page book will be released in March, 2014 by Penguin. I might wait for the movie.

Last edited:
It has been confirmed that the title of Robyn Doolittle's book is Crazy Town: The Rob Ford Story. The 304 page book will be released in March, 2014 by Penguin. I might wait for the movie.

Am I only one who thinks is premature? I think the story is only about 1/4 told so far...

Apparently Sue Anne Levy is also writing a book about the Fords, but I bet it will be full of delusions and not based in reality at all. It's also out a year after Robyn Doolittle's is, and hopefully will be coming out long after Rob Ford's house of cards has collapsed around him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back