News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
That reminded me of Richard Dawkins writing the book "The God Delusion" backed with facts and evidence, while Christian apologists write their responses to the book, but without any convincing facts or evidence.

As has been pointed out numerous times, downtowners rarely ride the subway, the subways aren't for people who live downtown, they're for people who live in the suburbs or outer core who commute downtown. Personally I use the over crowded streetcars, which means I usually end up walking to my destination because it's faster (not because of the problems with Streetcars, but because of the fact that Mayor Ford rejected the 20 minute maximum wait that was instituted, and lowered the amount of street cars operating on the lines I depend on, traffic congestion, street parking and an absence of dedicated street car lanes).

Yes! This!

Before I used to take the subway to get around downtown, but now I've realized how much of a frustrating waste of time it is. Now my primary means of travelling north-south through the core is the 510 Spadina Streetcar. I'm not sure if it's any faster than the subway, but it certainly is a much nicer ride without riders from North York, Scarbrough and Etobickoe crowded on it. And I can only imagine how much better it would be if it used was built like the technically and operationally superior Sheppard East LRT and Finch West LRTs that the suburbs are getting. Personally I'm jealous of all those people along Sheppard and Finch who'll be getting those amazing new LRTs.

Hopefully the TTC will upgrade the 510 Spadina to the quality of transit that we'll be seeing on Sheppard East, along with building the Waterfront LRT. It could do marvels for travel within the core.

In another thread I suggested that they should have built subway stops downtown to about 600m from the 400m they currently are at. Was shouted down because it would kill their local use, but perhaps it wasn't that dumb an idea after all...

That said, I have taken the subway from Union to College and St George a few times in the last month, and it certainly was much more appealing than taking a bus in mixed traffic, or even the frequent stopping Spadina streetcar ROW.

It has been confirmed that the title of Robyn Doolittle's book is Crazy Town: The Rob Ford Story. The 304 page book will be released in March, 2014 by Penguin. I might wait for the movie.

crazy_town1.jpg

Yes! This!

Before I used to take the subway to get around downtown, but now I've realized how much of a frustrating waste of time it is.
I rarely take the TTC. If I want to go downtown from Cabbagetown I either drive the car (parking is cheaper than fares for family of four) or ride my motorcycle (free parking), or sometimes walk. All of these are cheaper (accepting that must own car for commute anyway) faster and more pleasant than the TTC.

I too am a resident of the old city of Toronto so your not paying a greater share than i am. However I was born and grew up in Scarborough. The city is only as strong as its weakest link. Give those parts of the city that need better transit (subways not buses) and it will make for a stronger and more prosperous city for everyone.

hey there, I'm from Scarborough too, and I am completely against this silly subway. It will do nothing much for this area (compared to the LRT) and I have absolutely zero problems with mytaxes going towards anything downtown. This whole 'poor me' attitude has to stop. This is a huge city in which we all reside.

Scarborough's extension will make the BDL unrideable. Until the DRL is built.

That is the worst arguement for DRL.

The people from NE Scarborough currently take bus to SRT, SRT to Kennedy, transfer to the B-D line and transfer at Y-B.
With the LRT plan, they will maybe take bus to LRT, then take LRT to Kennedy, transfer to the B-D line and transfer at Y-B.
With the B-D subway extension, they will take bus to B-D, then B-D line to transfer at Y-B.

So the travel pattern will not change one bit. Unless one can argue that the subway will be so much more popular than LRT (in which case subway makes sense), this choice in Scarborough makes no difference on the DRL.

As I have siad before, the only thing would change the need for the DRL is if the travel patterns change. If these NE Scarborough residents were funnelled through a combined SRT/ECLRT, then the transfers to B-D would be split 2 ways, allowing for slightly better dwell times at Y-B interchange and thus achieve a slightly higher capacity for Yonge.

If you want a DRL, then prioritize it above Sheppard and Finch LRT.

Why does "downtown" get all the subways? It might have something to do with this map. As you can see, in order to "deserve" subway, you have to have high-population density.

In other words, you can have subways, or you can have McMansions - not both.

Population-Density.jpg

What I love is that the density that deserves rapid transit, it keeps being planed, however, someone gets an itch of votes or kickbacks, and ideas of things like the SRT (Bill Davis) and subway (Ford by way of Stintz) take precedence.

Sorry Malvern, maybe next decade, maybe. Eglinton from Kennedy to Kingston will also have to wait till the politicians are too spent from masturbation.

I too am a resident of the old city of Toronto so your not paying a greater share than i am. However I was born and grew up in Scarborough. The city is only as strong as its weakest link. Give those parts of the city that need better transit (subways not buses) and it will make for a stronger and more prosperous city for everyone

Just a) how do you justify "need better transit" to subways, b) what does the city being as "strong" as its' weakest link meant? (and why does it only applies to transit and not, I don't know, income supplement?) and c) how would building subways along Finch make for a stronger and more prosperous city for everyone?

BurlOak:

Actually I would even prioritize it above RT replacement - you can't ignore a cost argument for one line and then go back and claim that resources should be prioritized to the DRL.

AoD

Last edited:
That is the worst arguement for DRL.

The people from NE Scarborough currently take bus to SRT, SRT to Kennedy, transfer to the B-D line and transfer at Y-B.
With the LRT plan, they will maybe take bus to LRT, then take LRT to Kennedy, transfer to the B-D line and transfer at Y-B.
With the B-D subway extension, they will take bus to B-D, then B-D line to transfer at Y-B.

So the travel pattern will not change one bit. Unless one can argue that the subway will be so much more popular than LRT (in which case subway makes sense), this choice in Scarborough makes no difference on the DRL.

As I have siad before, the only thing would change the need for the DRL is if the travel patterns change. If these NE Scarborough residents were funnelled through a combined SRT/ECLRT, then the transfers to B-D would be split 2 ways, allowing for slightly better dwell times at Y-B interchange and thus achieve a slightly higher capacity for Yonge.

I had a long-winded response to your post, but AoD put it more succinctly.
I'd prioritize the DRL. Then I'd build an LRT with as many stops as would be required for max ridership. Not a weak-ass 3 stop subway.

All these points I'm afraid are mute for the time being, until the EAs come in for the two plans.

Was just looking at the numbers for the SRT when compared to the Sheppard subway, and I was surprised to see that ridership on the SRT is actually lower. I know the trains are smaller, but it certainly feels far more congested than the subway does.

I am now more confident than ever that by investing in a few more trains to operate the line at 2-3 minute headways would have addressed all capacity complaints about the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back