News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't want Kelly for mayor since I disagree with his policies, but you have to admit the way he peppers his speech with historical references and keeps a level head is pretty admirable.

I don't know, when Kelly was voting the slate on Ford's destructive policies he seemed like a wheezy sleepwalker prone to droning on with ponderous historical references that had little relevance to the questions before council. Remember early on when he reversed his Miller-era vote on the Jarvis bike lanes by saying he hadn't understood what he was voting for the first time? He's redeemed himself some as the stand-in mayor by seeming level-headed in a time of crisis, but let's not get too carried away. In a city of Toronto's size and professional skill we shouldn't be so starved of leadership talent that Norm Kelly seems like a savior.

How many staff members are in Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly's office? How many were on Mayor Rob Ford's office, before?

How many staff members are in Councillor Doug Ford's office?

Now, how many employees are working at the Ford family's company, Deco Labels?

I just wonder what experience, based on the number of employees, does Rob Ford base his critique on "bloated bureaucracy" in the City of Toronto?

See link.

Let's not lose perspective here. Norm Kelly may look great when he's standing next to Rob Ford, but the guy is one of the most useless members of council. He is a perennial backbencher with no major accomplishments to his name, despite his long career. He's a climate-change denier. Up until his appointment as interim mayor, he voted in lock-step with even the most misconceived parts of Ford's agenda (e.g. firing Gary Webster). He took a Florida vacation in the middle of the ice storm.

Bottom line: Having someone as unqualified as Kelly serve as interim mayor is not good for the city. However, that's what happens when the elected mayor (e.g. Rob Ford) appoints a deputy mayor based on loyalty rather than qualifications (which ended up backfiring anyway).

He's doing a better job than Rob Ford is and don't forget - I believe Rob appointed him as deputy... No? So now everyone says he's incompetent tho Robbie appointed him.

So is Rob incompetent for appointing him? You people seem to think Kelly was a bad choice so...?

I don't think anyone's surprised to see that Ford's secret $50 million is going to come from laying off city management staff. The very same staff who worked day and night throughout the Christmas break to coordinate the response to the storm. The very same staff that Ford continually praised when he wanted to look like a leader during said storm.

Whenever you see Hydro rip up a newly laid sidewalk, or a teenage parks and rec staff sleeping on the job, or complain about the TTC's customer service, and wonder "who the hell is managing this city??", think of how important a good management team is (especially given the caliber of our elected leaders).

"Ford Nation - scatters like Cockroaches from the light when any form of logic is thrown at them" (hence called a "Logic Bomb").

Their leader Rofo and his yappy brother included...

I don't think anyone's surprised to see that Ford's secret $50 million is going to come from laying off city management staff. The very same staff who worked day and night throughout the Christmas break to coordinate the response to the storm. The very same staff that Ford continually praised when he wanted to look like a leader during said storm.

Whenever you see Hydro rip up a newly laid sidewalk, or a teenage parks and rec staff sleeping on the job, or complain about the TTC's customer service, and wonder "who the hell is managing this city??", think of how important a good management team is (especially given the caliber of our elected leaders).

there's this too...

Moments after Mr. Kelly spoke, however, Councillor David Shiner stepped up to the same microphone, announcing he will push for a tax freeze, based on the savings he says the city will see because of unfilled vacancies. Mr. Shiner said that the budget accounts for hundreds of new staff for 2014 – many more than the city will likely actually hire.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...timistic-of-budget-consensus/article16565676/

i never saw this one before either...

[video=youtube;IePKVcB5UDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IePKVcB5UDE[/video]

or this one, and from the national post no less...

[video=youtube;1TxzvhiLMTw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TxzvhiLMTw[/video]

Let's not lose perspective here. Norm Kelly may look great when he's standing next to Rob Ford, but the guy is one of the most useless members of council. He is a perennial backbencher with no major accomplishments to his name, despite his long career. He's a climate-change denier. Up until his appointment as interim mayor, he voted in lock-step with even the most misconceived parts of Ford's agenda (e.g. firing Gary Webster). He took a Florida vacation in the middle of the ice storm.

Bottom line: Having someone as unqualified as Kelly serve as interim mayor is not good for the city. However, that's what happens when the elected mayor (e.g. Rob Ford) appoints a deputy mayor based on loyalty rather than qualifications (which ended up backfiring anyway).

Enough already about Kelly taking a "vacation" in the middle of the ice storm. The man spent Christmas dinner with his last remaining sibling, probably the last Christmas he will spend with her, and he traveled there and back within 24 hours. Anyone who travels knows how stressful that would be at the best of times, let alone for a man in his 70s. And, please....I'd take Kelly as a spokesperson for our city over Ford anytime. The man speaks with clarity, dignity and respect. Is it too much to ask that our mayor be well spoken? Apparently it is....

Enough already about Kelly taking a "vacation" in the middle of the ice storm. The man spent Christmas dinner with his last remaining sibling, probably the last Christmas he will spend with her, and he traveled there and back within 24 hours. Anyone who travels knows how stressful that would be at the best of times, let alone for a man in his 70s. And, please....I'd take Kelly as a spokesperson for our city over Ford anytime. The man speaks with clarity, dignity and respect. Is it too much to ask that our mayor be well spoken? Apparently it is....

I have to agree with Silence and Motion (I can't abbreviate your name without seeming slanderous ;-)

Kelly seems appealing in contrast to Ford. Though compared to Ford, the thug that towed my car last year is appealing. Kelly had always struck me as a hard-lined Ford supporter and tea party conservative type, because that's how he came across and that's how he voted.

Can we refer to Nenshi when we are looking for standards to measure against next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back