8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still on dial-up?

You might try changing your General Settings on Urban Toronto to lower settings? I have set my Number of Posts Per Page to 40, you might try 5 Posts Per Page. Experiment with other settings to see if they help.

No dial-up, and stock posts/page, from time to time today the page hangs trying to reload (like it did earlier in the day it was down for a few hours wiping out I forget how many pages...) usually no problems. (usually not so many clips and reposts of clips)

No dial-up, and stock posts/page, from time to time today the page hangs trying to reload (like it did earlier in the day it was down for a few hours wiping out I forget how many pages...) usually no problems. (usually not so many clips and reposts of clips)

Could be a server issue on UT's side, could be an issue with your ISP. Yesterday a Rogers interconnect went down causing TPIAs like TekSavvy to lose over 50% of their bandwidth on rCable, people have been complaining about packet loss today, so it could be a connection thing.

That wouldn't be effected by the number of embeds though.

edit: But if you think that's the problem, use the "Show printable version" link, it'll allow you to browse the thread while shedding the embeds.

Last edited:
dunno, all good again for now (as it usually is) whatever, back to our regularly scheduled RoFo discussion...

dunno, all good again for now (as it usually is) whatever, back to our regularly scheduled RoFo discussion...

I was going to suggest that you telephone the chief bottle washer at urbantoronto.ca. He/She might then send some staff member over to fix it, just like Rob Ford does. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't have his/her direct phone number.

Wonder if I call Bill Gates directly, will he fix any of my Windows problems? Or will he just tell me to use Windex to clean them?

Last edited:
At Jack Astors downtown. Waitress T-shirt "How hungry are you on a scale from 1 to Rob Ford." ;)

I had April 3rd before 'the great crash'. (I did not attempt to get back on the list bcause I was out of touch and so did not learn about the crash until some days later, by which point I gathered that the catch-back-up wicket had closed.)

If your computer can't handle it, something is wrong with your computer. Anything made within the last decade should have no problem rendering the page, even with lots of Flash Player embeds. It's not like the video starts buffering before you click Play. If your computer is truly that ancient, you could try installing a browser extension that blocks plugins from automatically loading, like ClickToPlugin or ClickToFlash.

There's nothing wrong with my computer. It's only 3 years old. It does not behave this way at any other site except this one - and only on the pages with all the embedded stuff. I clear my cache often so that's not the problem either.

3 years with today's technology is "old". I would also point out that how a computer runs, new or old, is dependent on how many things are competing for bandwith, cpu and ram memory. You can't possibly determine that from where you are.

Running out of memory and then visiting a page with lots of embeds, all trying to load at pretty much the same time will cause problems for a lot of people. Some of those videos are set to start when they are loaded which compounds the problem.

Since I design websites for a living (one of my 3 jobs), I know for certain that any website with too much stuff trying to load on one page will cause problems. Another issue with embeds, is that some browsers want to load everything and check that all linked assets are ready to go before carrying on. In this case, the forum will only finish fully loading when all the embeds are finished loading and will stall or sputter if the source sites are slow or not responding.

Aside from the browser sputtering/crashing problem, it's impolite to post high-bandwith images to a forum; resize them. Some people visit on limited bandwith accounts such as a smart phone and it's inconsiderate to chew up their bandwith with content not directly related to the topic. The database struggles with trying to render all that content, and it may not be an issue with my browser or computer at all - but of the forum itself.

There's nothing wrong with my computer. It's only 3 years old. It does not behave this way at any other site except this one - and only on the pages with all the embedded stuff. I clear my cache often so that's not the problem either.

3 years with today's technology is "old". I would also point out that how a computer runs, new or old, is dependent on how many things are competing for bandwith, cpu and ram memory. You can't possibly determine that from where you are.

Running out of memory and then visiting a page with lots of embeds, all trying to load at pretty much the same time will cause problems for a lot of people. Some of those videos are set to start when they are loaded which compounds the problem.

Since I design websites for a living (one of my 3 jobs), I know for certain that any website with too much stuff trying to load on one page will cause problems. Another issue with embeds, is that some browsers want to load everything and check that all linked assets are ready to go before carrying on. In this case, the forum will only finish fully loading when all the embeds are finished loading and will stall or sputter if the source sites are slow or not responding.

Aside from the browser sputtering/crashing problem, it's impolite to post high-bandwith images to a forum; resize them. Some people visit on limited bandwith accounts such as a smart phone and it's inconsiderate to chew up their bandwith with content not directly related to the topic. The database struggles with trying to render all that content, and it may not be an issue with my browser or computer at all - but of the forum itself.

You may be a web designer but I spent years studying computer science formally, and worked briefly in industry on software for low-power devices, among other endeavours in industry including R&D for an aerospace company. It's best not to argue with me about "RAM memory", if I can just be allowed to pull rank for a second here.

It may be impolite to post large images but I don't think anyone did that. Loading something like the CNN homepage is a multi-megabyte affair these days. Web sites have gotten huge as bandwidth has increased. A few ~100KB JPEGs ain't gonna kill your mobile bandwidth allowance, and if they do, then use the "printable" version of the page to browse the thread (then upgrade your package because you're going to have a bad time). Even with embedded content, this forum is *very* lightweight compared to practically every modern site. As you have noticed yourself, we can browse the Internet on phones now. If you have a dedicated general purpose computer that cannot load a page with embedded images and some Flash Player instances, it is far older than 3 years.

Regarding "the database struggles with trying to render all that content": that's not how it works. The database doesn't give a damn.

To make this post relevant to the topic at hand, I think that Rob Ford is what is causing poor Internet performance across the city these past 24 hours. He must be uploading an episode of Ford Nation.

I have also had a problem with pages hanging the past little while -- since this thread crashed actually. It happens frequently with this thread and occasionally with others. This is the only site I have the problem with. (And I have a brand spanking new MacBook Pro)

Last edited:
I have also had a problem with pages hanging the past little while -- since this thread crashed actually. It happens frequently with this thread and occasionally with others. This is the only site I have the problem with.

It is likely the UT server having issues itself, either with their connection to the Internet or with simply handling a thread of such length. vBulletin isn't fantastic software.

It's not related to the embedded content like videos or images. But yes, I have had pages fail to load sometimes too. Request just timed out. Request to UT, that is, not any linked content.

edit: P.S. Sorry if I come across as a jerk. It's just so frustrating sometimes when people don't know what they're talking about. I have a short fuse. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
You may be a web designer but I spent years studying computer science formally, and worked briefly in industry on software for low-power devices, among other endeavours in industry including R&D for an aerospace company. It's best not to argue with me about "RAM memory", if I can just be allowed to pull rank for a second here.

It may be impolite to post large images but I don't think anyone did that. Loading something like the CNN homepage is a multi-megabyte affair these days. Web sites have gotten huge as bandwidth has increased. A few ~100KB JPEGs ain't gonna kill your mobile bandwidth allowance, and if they do, then use the "printable" version of the page to browse the thread (then upgrade your package because you're going to have a bad time). Even with embedded content, this forum is *very* lightweight compared to practically every modern site. As you have noticed yourself, we can browse the Internet on phones now. If you have a dedicated general purpose computer that cannot load a page with embedded images and some Flash Player instances, it is far older than 3 years.

Regarding "the database struggles with trying to render all that content": that's not how it works. The database doesn't give a damn.

To make this post relevant to the topic at hand, I think that Rob Ford is what is causing poor Internet performance across the city these past 24 hours. He must be uploading an episode of Ford Nation.

Speaking of which, has there been a recent episode of Ford Nation? I think the last one was two or three weeks ago. Hardly surprising, but maybe another indication that they've "checked out", knowing an arrest is in the works...?

Speaking of which, has there been a recent episode of Ford Nation? I think the last one was two or three weeks ago. Hardly surprising, but maybe another indication that they've "checked out", knowing an arrest is in the works...?

Yeah the last one was 2 weeks ago where they talked shit about Kevin Spacey and RoFo was very 'spacey' himself.

The lack of content isn't surprising since the websites refuting them point by point get more traffic than their actual videos :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back