8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 16m
Mayor Ford at executive committee: "I had nothing to do with Lisa Overholt getting hired by Gene Jones whatsoever...that is not true."

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 4m
Two sources said Towhey provided a reference. One source said Overholt said Ford vouched for her to Jones.

AoD

This is a good point:

Catch 22 Campaign ‏@catch22campaign 3h
Perhaps someone will research how many of the new TCHC staff hired by Jones were donors to the Fords? Could there be more? #topoli

Ford's hypocrisy on salaries and expenses has inspired a lot of sarcastic commentary on Twitter, etc., but who on council thinks 13% raises can be justified? They're giving the guy a gift to once again be the brave fighter against waste and gravy. Proving again to many voters that maybe he has some point after all. Maybe he could be dismissed on this issue as an out of touch flake if he was arguing against a cost of living increase. But 13%? They do get paid well, and haven't really proven themselves worthy in the mess of the last four years. They'll talk and talk, give Ford ammunition, but no councilors would ultimately vote for that in an election year anyway.

Ford's hypocrisy on salaries and expenses has inspired a lot of sarcastic commentary on Twitter, etc., but who on council thinks 13% raises can be justified? They're giving the guy a gift to once again be the brave fighter against waste and gravy. Proving again to many voters that maybe he has some point after all. Maybe he could be dismissed on this issue as an out of touch flake if he was arguing against a cost of living increase. But 13%? They do get paid well, and haven't really proven themselves worthy in the mess of the last four years. They'll talk and talk, give Ford ammunition, but no councilors would ultimately vote for that in an election year anyway.

It's the same with the police - each councillor or constable's pay is often set to match or exceed the others in their pre-determined peer group. Councillors can certainly choose their own pay rates; the police wages are usually set by arbitration.

A good city councillor works a lot of hours - it's not an easy job if you take it seriously, so I certainly don't begrudge them being paid well. (I also think cops should be paid well, but I think there are few too many of them doing some jobs they shouldn't be.)

reporterdonpeat 12:03pm via Web
"If you're in it for the money then you are in it for the wrong reason" Rob Ford to councillors.

reporterdonpeat 12:03pm via Web
"If you're in it for the money then you are in it for the wrong reason" Rob Ford to councillors.

I'm watching Don Peat's twitter feed and I don't get it -- is any councillor actually arguing FOR this increase? Everything he's tweeted is against it, even if some people don't like the way Ford talks about it.

It's not really something the councillors can help; it's being recommended to them based on the salaries of other municipalities. I'll be happy when they finally give this kind of raise-giving power to an outside body so city councillors can get paid the correct wage for their work rather than having it turn into symbolic political grandstanding. While the raises may look like a big percentage, it all adds up to what? .01% of Toronto's operating budget?

Post secret: I have an MBA and its actually a hard degree to get and an expensive one and the majority of people who get one don't have their employer pay for it.

Thank you. I don't know how this idea got around that employers are willing to fork over for their employees' expensive degrees. Many employers barely invest in any employee training at all.

I'm watching Don Peat's twitter feed and I don't get it -- is any councillor actually arguing FOR this increase? Everything he's tweeted is against it, even if some people don't like the way Ford talks about it.

As usual, Ford is grandstanding. And also as usual, instead of throwing his hypocritical bullshit back in his fat face the way any reasonably competent political actor would be able to do, our brave city councillors are allowing him to get away with it: "Buh-buh-but! Muh-muh-muh-maybe we disagree if that wouldn't be too much of a fuss!"

It drives me nuts. It would be so easy to cut him off at the knees, and none of his so-called opponents are willing to take that step. Heavens, no! Gasp! Why...that would be impolite! :rolleyes:

As usual, Ford is grandstanding. And also as usual, instead of throwing his hypocritical bullshit back in his fat face the way any reasonably competent political actor would be able to do, our brave city councillors are allowing him to get away with it: "Buh-buh-but! Muh-muh-muh-maybe we disagree if that wouldn't be too much of a fuss!"

It drives me nuts. It would be so easy to cut him off at the knees, and none of his so-called opponents are willing to take that step. Heavens, no! Gasp! Why...that would be impolite! :rolleyes:

the all voted in favour of a cost of living increase (2%) Mammo voted against (he wanted to raise the salary if they could find X amount in savings).

I'll be happy when they finally give this kind of raise-giving power to an outside body so city councillors can get paid the correct wage for their work rather than having it turn into symbolic political grandstanding.
Because consultants and arbitrators do a good job now of holding the line on the salaries? Seems to me this kind of thing is leading to the growing divisions in society. Well-paid professional consultants will always find reasons why their well-paid professional peers should make more money. And conversely conclude that the work of lower-paid, lower status people can be made more efficient, be eliminated, replaced with contract workers or even volunteers.

While the raises may look like a big percentage, it all adds up to what? .01% of Toronto's operating budget?
Perhaps that .01% could be used to keep employed a few people who maintain parks or keep streets clean or watch over children. Maybe keep a 100 year old children's zoo in operation. Many things.

JProskowGlobal 12:44pm via Twitter for iPhone
A "mystery man" who refuses to identify himself or who he works for has been following Mayor Rob Ford very closely all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back