News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. There is plenty of time for Ford to be stupid.

When my parents were in high school, Dan Hill ("Sometimes When We Touch") was the long haired guy who would sit in the halls and play the guitar. He has lost that hair, but they went to one of his concerts a few years ago.

My dad claims to have punched out Dan Hill at a party in high school. As for Robbie, his slap in the face come t today is one of most vile and disgusting things he's done as far as I'm concerned. He's using the most vulnerable and marginalized as props. It's disgusting.

Cringing a bit at our relative ages. I knew Dan Hill in high school :D Didn't go to the same HS he did, and he had a couple of years on me - but he was dating a gal at our school so he hung out there sometimes. So...please tell me you're both only about 10 years old? ;D

The one thing about holding a political fundraiser is that no matter how wealthy the candidate, it’s a litmus test of who *says* they will support you and who *pays* to support you. It helps separate the sheep from the goats.

Last Thursday’s weenie roast at Mom’s is likely to have fewer guests than claimed and even fewer paying ones. Further details are probably unnecessary.

We already know their former conservative “friends” like Hudak and Harper have not just left the building, but are seriously in hiding.

So let’s follow the money. If the low takings last week indicate that it would take serious Ford ca$h to run a campaign to win, at what point does FoFam fold its cards?

I tend to think in the FoFam dynamic, this would be seen as “spending all the money on Rob (again)” and probably not “defending the family honour” or some such nonsense. Besides, even if he did win, how long before he royally effs up again?

For all that FoFam $ outlay, what’s the return on investment?

There’s now the problem of scrutiny over Rob and Doug’s activities around city contracts, rent-seeking, insider information and council voting to benefit selected businesses and persons, e.g. Apollo, Donnelly, muzik, etc. There may not be much influence left to peddle. How can someone return a favour, if you can’t give ‘em one?

There’s rarely much pay-off in losing, but for FoFam in 2014 there may not be much in winning either.

Well-reasoned, though a bit optimistic, I fear... I've been thinking along the same lines about not having much quid pro quo to offer, next term.

Hadn't thought about the FoFam dynamic, but I find your take on it quite possible and amusing in an evil sort of way :D

Of course he did. And the last council meeting of the term. He's nothing if not consistent, our Slob. :rolleyes:

Anyway, gotta agree with those of you who are annoyed with the teeming masses still following Rofo around to bask in his so-called 'celebrity.' Granted, that doesn't translate into votes; I don't doubt most of these people share an attitude of "Hey, let's get our picture taken with the freak!" That's what comes of living in a tabloid age where fame and notoriety are treated as one and the same thing. And it may well be giving the Fords a false sense of security which will really come crashing down with the election, when all of this "support" doesn't materialize at the ballot box. And isn't that a delightful prospect?

But it's still bloody irritating to watch. Ford's a hateful pig; by all rights, he should be a pariah by now. It just seems irresponsible as hell for these celebrity worshippers to be treating him as if he's some harmless Gong Show reject. He's done real damage to this city. That's not cute or cuddly.

Except that at these, uh, hate to say it, "ethno-fests", I'm not sure how many of the swarmers fit that categorization, which requires a certain, uh, "Western cynicism". By comparison, there's a lot more pidgin earnestness here--something that comes with being pretty much off-grid re a lot of the pariah-earning issues we're possessed with. Remember: they're mostly ethnic-media or CP24 in their local news consumption habits. They don't grasp "subtleties"--or else, they're conditioned to view them with suspicion.

Whatever it is about Ford, it resonates with them as "beloved leader figure" in the same way that domes and spires and columns and minarets--no matter how cheap and crude and tacky--can resonate more with them than the subtleties of Maki and Correa at Aga Khan.

Connection?

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/08/25/toronto_woman_gunned_down_in_calgary.html

On Friday night, 26-year-old Natasha Mohamed Farah went “out with some friends to socialize, have a few drinks and then head home.†Police said she was chatting with friends outside Bronco Smokehouse and Saloon around 3 a.m. when she was fatally shot.

Three men were arrested at a hotel in northwest Calgary and are being questioned by the homicide unit, Cavilla said. The arrested men are known to Toronto police — one suspect in custody “is wanted on a Canada-wide warrant for an attempt murder out of Toronto.â€

Last edited:
Cringing a bit at our relative ages. I knew Dan Hill in high school :D Didn't go to the same HS he did, and he had a couple of years on me - but he was dating a gal at our school so he hung out there sometimes. So...please tell me you're both only about 10 years old? ;D

My parents are in their early 60's and I am turning 32 on Thursday. :p

Well-reasoned, though a bit optimistic, I fear... I've been thinking along the same lines about not having much quid pro quo to offer, next term.

Hadn't thought about the FoFam dynamic, but I find your take on it quite possible and amusing in an evil sort of way :D

The Ford family is loaded. How could they possibly run out of money to prop up Robbie and Mikey?

Last edited:
The Ford family is loaded. How could they possibly run out of money to prop up Robbie and Mikey?

They are cheapskates. After well more than 30 years experience in my profession, the only truly, irredeemably greedy people I have dealt with have been rich.

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 11.08.30 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 11.08.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 11.08.30 PM.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 688
My parents are in their early 60's and I am turning 32 on Thursday. :p

Whew. That sent me to look the dude up online. Apparently he wasn't in HS when I knew him - guess my friend was a sight younger than he. He blended well. :) I'm only (? :) ) 51.

lol - not a question of running out. But the sibling in-fighting scenario rather rings true...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back