News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's basically it. Part of it is also the weight thing. Wasn't there a story about Kouvalis answering a question about Ford's inexplicable support during the 2010 election by gesturing to the hall full of overweight supporters and saying something like "Look around you---these are his people".

Actually the question was about a photo-op at a Mandarin buffet. The question was something like: Why does he let people take his picture like this?

Edit:
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/rob-fords-appetite-for-destruction/
Even before that, his enormous girth could both attract and repel. Invited by his campaign handlers during the election in 2010, Maclean’s attended a Rob Ford For Mayor event at a well-known Chinese buffet, where those handlers permitted a photographer to shoot pictures of their candidate loading up his plate, then stuffing his mouth, so focused on the meal that he barely paid notice to his dining companions, members of Toronto’s Chinese community. On the night Ford won, Maclean’s asked the man who ran his campaign, the Conservative operative Nick Kouvalis, why he’d allowed this unusual photo opportunity. Kouvalis smiled and passed his hand over the crowd at Ford’s headquarters. “Look at his supporters,” he said. “They’re all overweight.”

The original story (the buffet pics are gone, sadly):
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-political-genius-of-rob-ford/
Ford lumbers back to the table, settles in next to his brother and attacks another plate from the buffet. Watching him, slow moving and barely communicating with his hosts from Toronto’s Chinese communities, it’s still hard to believe his is the campaign to beat. Suddenly, a section of the group stands to say its goodbyes. Doug Ford stands too, but his brother the mayoral candidate keeps eating. Doug jabs him with a thick finger. “Rob! Rob!” he says. “Say goodbye!” And Rob Ford looks up from his plate.

Last edited:
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1m
Doug Ford has just arrived at Mount Sinai hospital to visit Mayor Rob Ford #TOpoli

Matt Ingram ‏@MattIngram984 8m
#DougFord was solemn arriving to visit @TOMayorFord at #MountSinai hospital, "hard day"

Is is possible to get a diagnosis this early?

Doug Ford has just arrived at Mount Sinai hospital to visit Mayor Rob Ford #TOpoli

#DougFord was solemn arriving to visit @TOMayorFord at #MountSinai hospital, "hard day"

I know colon cancer can usually be detected in the blood tests.

A colleague's cousin went into hospital with stomach pain and had the diagnosis less than 12 hours later.

I think the imaging and possibly a colonoscopy were done at HR - for surgery etc makes sense they'd send him to Mt S. I can't see them doing a biopsy at HR but what do I know. Some tumours are quite recognizable as cancer upon visual inspection (I'm no expert, only that my father had kidney, bladder and colon cancer -which they found when they went in to deal with other cancer - he's still alive 8 years later).

My wife's grandma died of cancer a year ago. It only took six months to killer her. Plus. two family friends died of it.

I know that Ford logic is something else, but if the family has some sense of reason, they rally around him and forget about occupying seats at City Hall.

Yeah. I want him gone, but this is about as anti-climactic and unsatisfying an end to the story as possible. If it is the end. I can almost imagine Ford winning the election on the sympathy vote despite his being totally out of it, and Doug acting like he's fine and doing everything for him by proxy, like Woodrow Wilson's wife did after his stroke.

Like Weekend at Bernie's, except re-tooled as a Chris Farley vehicle. In one hilarious scene, Thug has to hold Slob up from behind on a balcony, and manipulate his arm so it appears Baby (Whale) Bro is waving at his crowd of adoring supporters...but he's too heavy, and goes capsizing overboard, promptly crushing a family of 8. What a mix up!

Joking aside, I too find this an unsatisfactory conclusion to the Slob 'N' Thug saga...if it is indeed the end. I was really looking forward to his humiliating trouncing on Election Day. The ensuing temprer tantrum from Ford would have been epic, and I was sincerely hoping it would happen in public.

I voted for Pants as well, although I can't say I was in love with him. But I already hated Ford in 2010, and Smitherman seemed very slimy.

Yeah, the lineup of mayoral candidates in 2010 was entirely unimpressive. This is something that often gets lost in discussions about how Ford ended up as mayor. Since the crack scandal first broke, the media has frustratingly looked to Ford himself to account for his election: his populism, his emphasis on customer service, his focus on respect for taxpayers, his simple platform and messaging. Not to say these factors didn't contribute, but I've always thought the dearth of quality alternatives was Ford's biggest ally in victory.

Thank. I am not a medical expert at all.
There's an actual marker in the blood for colon cancer, it's called CEA - carcinoembryonic antigen. They use it to determine if treatment is working. It's pretty reliable unless you're one of the few people that don't have the marker.

Jimmi, any idea on if/when the Brass Knuckles story will drop? Or is it too soon to tell considering that there should be more info coming out on his condition in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back