News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fat shaming reflects on the person doing it, not the person it's directed at. Remember that, people.

I'm living on an island where there's a full-blown Type II diabetes epidemic due to the 'meat and three starches' diet. Fat people call themselves fat, have 'big & beautiful beauty contests', try to diet & fail, lose weight, gain weight, stay the same weight. We all talk about it. It's not fat-shaming, it's just an observation.

Rob Ford is obese. He has, remarkably, stayed obese or even gained weight through multiple rounds of chemo and radiation. Pointing that out is no more 'fat-shaming' than calling the sky blue. 'Fat-shaming' is when your mother comes up to you and says, 'Dear, are you sure you want dessert. Your pants are looking a little tighter than usual. In fact, you've really let yourself go.' It's amazing to me how sensitive some people can be about that particular physical attribute.

Sorry to hear about your father, Filip. Best wishes to him.

I'm living on an island where there's a full-blown Type II diabetes epidemic due to the 'meat and three starches' diet. Fat people call themselves fat, have 'big & beautiful beauty contests', try to diet & fail, lose weight, gain weight, stay the same weight. We all talk about it. It's not fat-shaming, it's just an observation.

Rob Ford is obese. He has, remarkably, stayed obese or even gained weight through multiple rounds of chemo and radiation. Pointing that out is no more 'fat-shaming' than calling the sky blue. 'Fat-shaming' is when your mother comes up to you and says, 'Dear, are you sure you want dessert. Your pants are looking a little tighter than usual. In fact, you've really let yourself go.' It's amazing to me how sensitive some people can be about that particular physical attribute.

Rob Ford is not obese. He is an athlete.

I'm no lawyer but i do watch some on T.V..I get the feeling judges are careful not to allow anything to cause grounds for appeal. Ignoring medical advice could fall into that
category? Whatthe? (We should be paying you)

True that judges are very careful to "appeal-proof" their decisions. But in this case the issue doesn't give rise to a potential ground of appeal, because the medical evidence isn't related to a triable issue. The only potential appeal argument it could lead to is the defence arguing that they didn't get a trial within a reasonable time because the proceedings were delayed unnecessarily.

Paging Whatthe:

I've been curious about why the Crown is presenting letters from Rob's doctors, seeking to excuse him from testifying. Are they required to do so as a matter of process? Rob's lawyer would have to make an application for standing in the proceeding if he were to do it himself, no? Perhaps presenting the letters on behalf of Rob is simply a matter of making the process go faster, with no other motive. If the Crown doesn't want him to testify now, they don't have to call him. After all, the defence doesn't usually present evidence at a prelim (unless they are trying to do something tactical with a potential witness, I suppose).

Also, I'm liking this theory that Rob's lawyer got the doctor letters around the time of his diagnosis. Surely the doctors would have said he needs to take it easy, not knowing that he would carry on as he does. It would great if we could see the dates on those letters.

People keep saying that the Crown is trying to excuse Ford from testifying, but that's not what they're doing. They're simply asking that his testimony be delayed until September. Those are two very different things. And while they likely don't have to call him to get committal, it appears that they want to call him to see what he's going to say, since he hasn't cooperated with police.

There's nothing unusual or improper about the crown making the adjournment request on the witness' behalf. That's how it's done. Always.

People keep saying that the Crown is trying to excuse Ford from testifying, but that's not what they're doing. They're simply asking that his testimony be delayed until September. Those are two very different things. And while they likely don't have to call him to get committal, it appears that they want to call him to see what he's going to say, since he hasn't cooperated with police.
Sometimes people testify off-site in a private setting and not in a public courtroom, correct?

Last edited:
it could be meds if he took any steroids, but judging from how it looks now maybe he hasn't been able alter his crappy diet. You would think he'd be strongly encouraged to lose weight ahead of surgery.

all he needs to do is put on his girdle and he'll be fine.

I'm just glad someone figured out why hotmail lawyer went to the hospital with Rob. :D

One hates to be cynical but, lordy. Is it actually possible he sat there waiting for the verdict and then said, "Jeeze doc, that's great news you can operate. Phew! Also, my friend here is the Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada and he was wondering if, um, you could write a little note about this whole cancer thing and how I shouldn't be stressing myself in courtrooms and such....?"

Last edited:
One hates to be cynical but, lordy. Is it actually possible he sat there waiting for the verdict and then said, "Jeeze doc, that's great news you can operate. Phew! Also, my friend here is the Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada and he was wondering if, um, you could write a little note about this whole cancer thing and how I shouldn't be stressing myself in courtrooms and such....?"

Yes yes yes yes yes!!!thats the point. Everyone keeps wanting to be fair, not cynical, non-benefit doubters, honest, lovely, Canadian. These guys prey on that. They know how to work that.

I have a few teachers/principals in the family. At one of the larger (by weight) schools it isn't uncommon for the increasingly rare skinny kids to be teased for being different. Of course, it doesn't help the thin kids have very low family income in a lower-middle class area (fat kids can't eat well, but they can eat).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back