News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm home sick this weekend so thought I'd finally read Crazy Town. Good read so far!

About the $5 million, it could've been a fishing expedition that just got out of hand and they didn't know when to throw in the towel.

There were plenty of leads there at the start to check out (like people claiming Smith was killed for the video) and cops were probably appaled that this stuff was happening in their city.

But they could never get close enough to seal the deal.

Then so much time has gone by they think we've got to get something, so cops keep going and going and a few mill later they have come up empty.

Or maybe they were looking into things we don't know about. I'm out of the loop now so no idea what if anything has been happening lately.

Damn jimmi. Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Crazytown is a good read two years in. Its so easy to forget half the shenanigans these clowns pulled, to have a shit ton of nefarious deeds in print helps me recall why I feel the need to stay vigilant regarding anyone named ford (or stirpe). The book ends before cancer, rehab, pumpkins, bomb threats, mikey's coronation, false toe surgery, hey Robin... ever think of a sequel? There is another book worth checkout out from your library ( which you still have despite les frods best efforts) caĺled how rob ford happened. Dispatches from the national post. Eye opening while nauseating. Hope you feel better soon. And Hanlons boy.... best wishes. It must be very difficult. Sorry you're facing such a hard go. *sends positive vibes*

I'm home sick this weekend so thought I'd finally read Crazy Town. Good read so far!

About the $5 million, it could've been a fishing expedition that just got out of hand and they didn't know when to throw in the towel.

There were plenty of leads there at the start to check out (like people claiming Smith was killed for the video) and cops were probably appaled that this stuff was happening in their city.

But they could never get close enough to seal the deal.
Or they're just incompetent, lazy assholes who are much better are shooting a teenager on a stopped bus, beating on peaceful protestors, and carding.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/clayton-ruby-toronto-police-botched-rob-ford-probe-1.2304315
Clayton Ruby said:
"The police have either ignored or overlooked all the evidence against Ford," Ruby told The Canadian Press.

"I've never seen such a botched investigation, and I've seen thousands."

On Thursday, police arrested Ford's friend and occasional driver Sandro Lisi, 35, and charged him with extortion in relation to the video.

Lisi, previously charged with drug trafficking, was frequently in contact with the mayor. Police also said they observed him delivering packages to Ford, newly released court documents show.

Ruby called it "inexplicable" police never searched Ford's car or home, or wiretapped his phone, saying police Chief Bill Blair deliberately chose not to act against the mayor.

Under the law, police who witnessed suspicious "hand-to-hand" transactions would have been well within their rights to stop Ford's car, arrest him, and do a search — even without a warrant.

They could also have applied for an instant search warrant, had they felt the need to do so.

"They have just time and again watched the trafficking take place, and decided not to arrest the mayor," Ruby said.

"They had grounds coming out of their ears."

Also strange that Ford has said many and worse things than FHRITP Shawn Simoes, yet he managed to keep his job.

Guess what? Although I'm now cancer free, and need no further chemo or radiation, what little bowel I have left (less the 1/4 of my GI tract left), needs a little surgical intervention to repair a ton of built up scar tissue and tears. That said, my surgeon, Dr Zane Cohen at Mount Sinai, who's done four surgeries on me since 2012, is also Rob Fords surgeon. In fact, Robs room will be on the same floor I'll be on, and knowing my luck, right next door, just hope I don't run into him, I'm a tad mouthy when I'm stoned on Morphine, it would be a terrible shame if I told him exactly what I really thought of him being THE worst Mayor in the cities history, and a lying, pathetic excuse for a human being! Surgery is in a few days, Wednesday to be exact....if on Thursday morning you hear about some insane patient unplugging all his medical equipment, you'll know who's responsible! (Kidding of course, he probably has a security team watching his every move, shouldn't be too hard of a job for them, the man hasn't even seen his feet in decades!), I'll keep ya posted! :cool:

Best of luck, Hanlansboy. Hope it all goes well for you on Wednesday. And afterwards too, with your possible floor-mates. Nevertheless you are in great hands at Mt Sinai.

Do we really want to give our Mayors more power, considering what happened under Rob Ford reign of power?

See link.

Canada’s mayors are doomed to fail, author says

In Mayors Gone Bad, Philip Slayton rounds up a slew of scandal-prone chief magistrates, but also argues that our civic leaders lack the powers they need to do their jobs effectively.

If all Philip Slayton had intended to do with his new book was give another gleeful spanking to Canada’s many wayward chief magistrates, it would have been too easy. It might also, if mayoral sins were itemized, have come in at a page-count topping Tolstoy.

Happily, Slayton has done more. He’s built a persuasive case, from the cross-Canada civic ruins, that saving municipal government “is the greatest political challenge now facing the country.â€

Ideally, he says in Mayors Gone Bad, there would be constitutional reform to reflect Canada’s modern urban reality. But that’s unlikely.

So he recommends the devolution of as much political and taxing power as possible to cities through negotiated charters — a “devo-max†approach similar to that promised by the U.K. to a restless Scotland.

“What the cities desperately need is substantial new revenue tools, such as a city sales tax, a city income tax,†Slayton told the Star in a telephone interview from his home in Port Medway, N.S.

“That means we need politicians who are mature enough, and voters who are mature enough, to face the facts that the things we have to have, the things we desperately need, will be expensive and have to be paid for, and they will have to be paid for through new taxes.â€

Slayton, a former Bay Street lawyer, said he got the idea for the book “just from reading the paper†and paying attention.

“It occurred to me one day, ‘God, there’s a lot of these mayors who seem to be messing up in a variety of ways.’ You always expect that there has to be one or two here and there. But there seemed to be a very large number of them. And I began to wonder, ‘Why is that?’

“It wasn’t just the Rob Fordthing that did it.†He does, to be sure, review the dubious stewardships of Ford in Toronto, and Susan Fennell in Brampton, and Joe Fontana in London, and Larry O’Brien in Ottawa, and Peter Kelly in Halifax, and the roguish chief magistrates of Montreal and Laval, Que., and other such municipal luminaries.

It’s little wonder Canadian cities are so often led by the unsophisticated, inadequately educated and policy befuddled, he says. The job is simply impossible. And because of that, he says, Canadian mayors tend to be one of a few types.

There are the Glory Seekers (often wealthy) who don’t understand the position but like the accoutrements. There are the Office Seekers, perennial politicians who shift from level to level “always looking for a political resting place.â€

There are Idealists, who hope that politics can transform society; and Pragmatists, usually urban policy wonks looking to achieve a few highly technical pet goals.

But whatever the label, Canadian mayors have neither the political power nor financial resources to do their job, he argues.

“To me, it’s absolutely evident that the cities are in an untenable position,†he told the Star. “They are being called upon to do a variety of things that they effectively cannot do.

“This is a fundamental problem in the country. It totally eclipses what we should do with the Senate or what should happen with Mike Duffy, the kinds of things that people focus on.â€

Relieved sighs may well have been heaved all about the GTA after the 2014 municipal elections, he writes, at news that John Toryand Linda Jeffrey were the new mayors of Toronto and Brampton. But no new era dawned, Slayton said. How could it? “The system remains the same.†In fact, it encourages a delusional political discourse.

For instance, he says, a handsome plurality of respondents said in a recent survey they thought that Tory was doing a good job as mayor.

“What does that mean?†Slayton asks. “He’s doing a good job in what way? Is he, in fact, addressing and dealing with the huge issues that have to be dealt with?

“I see no evidence of it. And it’s unfair to criticize him for that because how can he do that? He does not have the political tools and he doesn’t have the financial tools that he needs to do what has to be done. So he ends up talking about raccoon-proof garbage bins and rear-door boarding on the King St. streetcar.

“This is the mayor of a very large, wealthy metropolis who seems to end up dealing with issues that are essentially trivial, and there is no discussion of issues that are very far from trivial.â€

And, for Slayton, Toronto’s single biggest question is this: â€Who’s going to pay the billions of dollars required to have proper mass transit in Toronto? Who’s going to do that?â€

A very good question.

Guess what? Although I'm now cancer free, and need no further chemo or radiation, what little bowel I have left (less the 1/4 of my GI tract left), needs a little surgical intervention to repair a ton of built up scar tissue and tears. That said, my surgeon, Dr Zane Cohen at Mount Sinai, who's done four surgeries on me since 2012, is also Rob Fords surgeon. In fact, Robs room will be on the same floor I'll be on, and knowing my luck, right next door, just hope I don't run into him, I'm a tad mouthy when I'm stoned on Morphine, it would be a terrible shame if I told him exactly what I really thought of him being THE worst Mayor in the cities history, and a lying, pathetic excuse for a human being! Surgery is in a few days, Wednesday to be exact....if on Thursday morning you hear about some insane patient unplugging all his medical equipment, you'll know who's responsible! (Kidding of course, he probably has a security team watching his every move, shouldn't be too hard of a job for them, the man hasn't even seen his feet in decades!), I'll keep ya posted! :cool:

I am happy and sad for you... say hi to Worms, I'm sure he is still haunting the halls.

It'd be too much fun if the Fords ended up being Brown's Mike Duffy.

Robbie is already the GTA's Duffy, it would be Dougie's turn at the wheel with Brown.

Rob still has supporters though. Not sure if the same could be said about Duffy.

Also, the Scarborough Camping office is still in need of a tenant.

Last edited:
The owners of the Wexford Restaurant (who own the whole plaza I believe) might not like that. ;)

Rob still has supporters though. Not sure if the same could be said about Duffy Also, the Scarborough Camping office is still in need of a tenant.

That is a really good point Vid. I've never heard anyone say " whatever Duffy did he did on his own time". Or " as long as he keeps taxes low I dont care what Duffy does". Im sure its partly a function of the level of office but a lot of people think ford is stupid and arrogant and give him a bit of a pass. Duffy seems highly intelligent and arrogant . NObody digs that combo.

Rob still has supporters though. Not sure if the same could be said about Duffy.

Also, the Scarborough Camping office is still in need of a tenant.

In reality nothing is ever a perfect fit... followers/supporters? I'm sure Duffy still has them. Loyalty runs deep, Duffy may not have a "nation" but I'm sure he has supporters that fall in "the Conservatives are persecuted by (insert label here)!" if not from anywhere else.

The camping office should be turned into an aesthetician's office.

That is a really good point Vid. I've never heard anyone say " whatever Duffy did he did on his own time". Or " as long as he keeps taxes low I dont care what Duffy does". Im sure its partly a function of the level of office but a lot of people think ford is stupid and arrogant and give him a bit of a pass. Duffy seems highly intelligent and arrogant . NObody digs that combo.

You are right. The "excuses", empowerment and enablement offered to Robbie were/are akin to what is offered to a child, or as the 'nation promotes, the messiah. Duffy is intelligent, and arrogant. If you look at how he can't keep his mouth shut then there is shades of the Fords and their sense of entitlements.

Last edited:
dFrd.PNG

Attachments

• dFrd.PNG
    dFrd.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 568
Also strange that Ford has said many and worse things than FHRITP Shawn Simoes, yet he managed to keep his job.

Yes, and the three cops charged with sexual assault against another cop have kept their jobs.

Senators aren't the most popular people these days.

In reality nothing is ever a perfect fit... followers/supporters? I'm sure Duffy still has them. Loyalty runs deep, Duffy may not have a "nation" but I'm sure he has supporters that fall in "the Conservatives are persecuted by (insert label here)!" if not from anywhere else.

The camping office should be turned into an aesthetician's office.

You are right. The "excuses", empowerment and enablement offered to Robbie were/are akin to what is offered to a child, or as the 'nation promotes, the messiah. Duffy is intelligent, and arrogant. If you look at how he can't keep his mouth shut then there is shades of the Fords and their sense of entitlements.

I bet even Conservative supporters want Duffy to be punished at this point.

Anyway, I think we went through a whole weekend without any Ford-related news updates, even CP2Ford.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back