News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying libraries will go completely extinct. But times are changing and fast.

But outside of students, some elderly and some poorer people, does it make sense to keep all the libraries open in the face of diminishing use? I said it before. I don't know one adult that has a library card or goes to a library. Everything is done online and is either downloaded or streamed. People didn't think music stores could go either but they're days are numbered too.

So while we'll have libraries around, do we need all of our current ones?

Last edited:
You'd fit right into Ford's upper circles of management with your talent for rejecting facts and stats in favour of anecdotal evidence and limited personal observations.

Really? I make a articulate observation and it's dismissed with a snide insult thrown in as well. This is the problem. People disagree and they throw insults just to rob it in.

Last edited:
Really? You cling to personal beliefs and reject facts that are presented to you repeatedly and you're trying to play the victim?

I dont think so, but then again tell that to the many new-canadians/refugees using local neighbourhood libraries as a social gathering hangouts...i thought thats what community centres were for. Gee, but nothing is oldschool anymore.

I now know several people that bought book readers. They aren't buying books anymore.

Will you testify to that? Can you provide any proof, or is this more hearsay you're spewing?

Do you know what hypocrite means?

I have a kindle. Why do people still need libraries?

- people use libraries for many purposes. some cannot afford gadgets. some would rather read physical books. many books aren't digitized.

I went to a library and it was full of old and poor people!! Everyone was using the computers!!

----------

Exactly how many people are actually using libraries now?

- We have one of the busiest and most extensive library systems in the world. About half of Torontoians have library cards.

I don't know anyone with a library card!!

----------

HMV is bankrupt, libraries are next!!

- Libraries provide a variety of community services that book stores don't provide.

Who cares!! Only old and poor people use them!! Why can't everyone download everything like me!! This is a legitimate question, answer me!!!!

----------

- Doug Ford said he doesn't know Atwood. Also, Rob Ford probably flipped off some lady, haha.

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO SAYS DOUG IS SMART & COOL AND ALSO ROB DIDN'T GIVE THE FINGER TO THAT LADY. NO EVIDENCE!!

*various evidence is presented*

YOU ARE SNIDE JERKS WHO BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR. STOP INSULTING ME!!

Last edited:
I think libraries probably have a surprisingly bright future if well-managed--which they certainly appear to be in Toronto. My impression is that they really function as community hubs of sorts in the inner suburbs, where gathering space is of course very hard to come by. Similarly TPL appears to have been quite innovative in expanding into ebooks and the like. Two other things to remember: first, broadband is absurdly expensive in Canada, so libraries are how a lot of people get online. Second, for recent immigrants having a place to go like a well-equipped and stocked local library is a really important asset--to get integrated into community activities, learn about local culture etc etc. I really don't see why just because some folks can afford iPads libraries are obsolete.

I dont think so, but then again tell that to the many new-canadians/refugees using local neighbourhood libraries as a social gathering hangouts...i thought thats what community centres were for. Gee, but nothing is oldschool anymore.

Public libraries are community centres..no? Maybe they are discussing the latest news in Quill and Quire? :)

I especially like how tkip's constant use of unnamed friends and co-workers to support his opinions mirrors Rob Ford's use of magical phonecalls from taxpayers.

Ford should have not given the police a 3 % raise, that money could have been used to maintain libraries open.

People need to find some middle ground with the executive committee. Perhaps shorter hours, or some sort of 'Rae days'.

Blindly opposing library closures will get them shut down. I'm sure Ford will end up selling those buildings, then you'll never seen them again.

Blind partisanship is what got ford elected, blind partisanship will get libraries closed.

Will you testify to that? Can you provide any proof, or is this more hearsay you're spewing?

Do you know what hypocrite means?

doug, You live to antagonize. You know very well it's impossible to back this up with facts. Next time you make a statement, I'm going to demand the same of you in the same condescending tone.

I'm not saying libraries will go completely extinct. But times are changing and fast.

But outside of students, some elderly and some poorer people, does it make sense to keep all the libraries open in the face of diminishing use? I said it before. I don't know one adult that has a library card or goes to a library. Everything is done online and is either downloaded or streamed. People didn't think music stores could go either but they're days are numbered too.

Didn't someone just mention that library use is INCREASING? So using your logic tkip, wouldn't it make sense to expand our library system and open more branches? It's rather distressing how you continue to ignore facts and just spew nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back