News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
He SLAPPed them with a lawsuit and it worked. AFAIK the Star has never repeated the originally allegation of physical abuse. So he got what he wanted and let the suit lapse.

Didn't he want the Star to issue a front page apology? They haven't so he didn't get what he wanted.

So mixed claims (and all the Star does is report the claims) of physical abuse, but everyone seems to agree there was verbal abuse, and that Ford was dismissed.

Throughout report after report after report over the years, the verbal abuse has been a very common theme. At what point does verbal abuse become criminal?

When it's a credible threat of violence or when it constitutes criminal harassment, but usually only death threats will result in charges, such as the death threat Rob Ford apparently made to his wife in 2008. The really weird stuff about the "alleged" domestic abuse is that the police aren't supposed to withdraw charges on the basis of victim recantation, because there's ample evidence that such recantations are most-likely coerced. Makes one wonder whether and why the police deviated from their policy to the apparent benefit of Rob Ford.

It does. It also raises the possibility that Ford isn't the issue ... which would put him in a very difficult and unfortunate position.

If you're suggesting that the abuse in the relationship is one-way coming from Renata, I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't square with the other evidence of Rob Ford's violent temper. Did Renata get thrown out of the Leafs game? Did Renata get fired as a high school football coach? Does Renata hurl racial epithets at other city councillors and call them a "waste of skin"?

Nonetheless, you make a good point: who really knows what it is the truth of Rob Ford's private life? All we have are our reasonable, informed opinions.

If you're suggesting that the abuse in the relationship is one-way coming from Renata, I suppose it's possible ...
Something like that ... I'd doubt it would be abuse ... could be all sorts of things ... depression, illness, dependency ... maybe simply a collapsing relationship. Not saying that's the probably situation - just that it's possible. We've had not much evidence of Ford being overly physical. It's possible that he's very difficult to live with, has a mouth on him ... but there's another factor which is going on, which is the source of all the signs of domestic issues. For all we know, he might be in a huge mess, and is trying to be supportive ....

Bottom line is we really don't know.

Something like that ... I'd doubt it would be abuse ... could be all sorts of things ... depression, illness, dependency ... maybe simply a collapsing relationship. Not saying that's the probably situation - just that it's possible. We've had not much evidence of Ford being overly physical. It's possible that he's very difficult to live with, has a mouth on him ... but there's another factor which is going on, which is the source of all the signs of domestic issues. For all we know, he might be in a huge mess, and is trying to be supportive ....

I'm guessing, she keeps hounding him to go on a diet.

Based on what we do know, this speculation is a much. There's plenty of evidence that Ford is a bully (including being described as such by his former classmates), and there's at least some evidence that he has continued to manifest his bullying nature as an adult through physical intimidation and violence. If you want to argue that Rob Ford's just a good-natured guy trapped in a mentally abusive co-dependant relationship, I could just as credibly argue that he is the Hidden Imam returned to earth in corporeal form to lead Shi-ite Islam.

i do t think nfitz is trying to paint ford as a role model man. infact im sure there are countless posts from nfitz expressing his distaste for the man. rather i believe nfitz is trying to be neutral and unbiased when looking at the situation. all hes suggesting is that it may not only be mr ford who has a problem in that house. having worked with abused women who are in these relationships in the past, there is often a patern that the women have issues of their own which justifies (IN THEIR MINDS) their partners issues. These people cant see that no matte what the abuse is clearly wrong.

Last edited:
Surely you're not saying that domestic abuse can be "justified"?

NOT AT ALL. what i am saying is that if you have been abused or your mind isnt right or you have your own issues you may justify actions from others that clearly are wrong.

I guess I'm unclear what you mean by "justify actions...that clearly are wrong". Can wrong actions be justified? Explained, perhaps, but as I see it, wrong actions are never justified.

Based on what we do know, this speculation is a much. There's plenty of evidence that Ford is a bully (including being described as such by his former classmates), and there's at least some evidence that he has continued to manifest his bullying nature as an adult through physical intimidation and violence. If you want to argue that Rob Ford's just a good-natured guy trapped in a mentally abusive co-dependant relationship, I could just as credibly argue that he is the Hidden Imam returned to earth in corporeal form to lead Shi-ite Islam.

FWIW I once spoke to somebody who taught in their high school, who said that both Bob AND Doug had behavioural problems as teenagers.

I guess I'm unclear what you mean by "justify actions...that clearly are wrong". Can wrong actions be justified? Explained, perhaps, but as I see it, wrong actions are never justified.

perhaps sixrings is referring to something along the lines of battered spouse syndrome where the abuse leads to this place of codependency/rationalisation/acceptance/fear/mess. i'm sure a msw can put it more eloquently than me. but yea, it sounded like domestic abuse could be justified - might be worth editing the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back