News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
His fault for taking Dundas everyday to work. There's plenty of other routes from Etobicoke he should try - like the Gardiner, which neither have streetcars or cyclists. Or Bloor, which has cyclists, but no streetcars or buses.

Not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread, but I like to suggest that Ford should consider riding a bike to City Hall. The distance is not all that great on a mid-to-high end bike, which he could easily afford, and the pounds would literally melt off of him. Best of all, he would soon be chanting, "THE PEOPLE WANT BIKE LANES! STUDIES SHOW THAT PEOPLE WOULD BIKE MORE IF THERE WAS MORE INFRASTRUCTURE DEDICATED TO THEM. THE PEOPLE WANT BIKE LANES!"

Yes, It's a distraction from real work, but I find it hard to fault him for helping inner city youth.
This is a pet peeve, tangential to the follies of Ford, but I find the "inner city" usage annoying*. What city is Rexdale the inner of? As a euphemism for black it seems to be borrowed from the American idea of decaying industrial cities like Detroit where the crippled cores have been abandoned by white flight. Doesn't really apply here. It cheats us by imposing a dysfunctional model on our healthier society. Then again, the Ford myth is based on some outer city distaste for the core, almost a wish to see it starved and decaying like an old American city.

* (I find the usage "urban", common on CBC radio, not much better.)

This is a pet peeve, tangential to the follies of Ford, but I find the "inner city" usage annoying*.
This bothers me also. My girls' elementary school is considered "inner city" and thus privy to some special programs, meanwhile half the kids are from Cabbagetown's wealthiest houses.

I would attest that the inner city residences are amongst our wealthiest, with the exception of Regent and Moss Parks.

I'd you're looking for poor, go to the doughnut.

I'm not going to get into the "who is worse, conservatives or liberals" debate: governments across the spectrum have a tendency to be corrupt and inefficient, and it is the duty of voters to pay attention and punish sloppiness at the ballot box.

But I get tired of people harping on the Ontario Liberals for their billion-dollar boondoggles. Let's look at a couple examples which I think are better described as good ideas implemented poorly, but not *that* poorly:

eHealth is currently functional - I know a doctor personally who is involved in trials.
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/2012/10/31/ehealth_ontario_back_on_track.html
Total cost over 1 billion (find better information if you can)
http://msep.mcmaster.ca/epp/publications/MEPP inquiry papers/April2012/MoroojHabbani.pdf

Interestingly other countries have tried and had less success. The UK is scaling back their project after spending $18 billion with little to show for it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-soumerai/dont-repeat-the-uks-elect_b_790470.html

Presto is said to cost $700 million when it is complete
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...e_700_million_cost_say_transit_operators.html
But that compares favourably with the cost of similar systems globally
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/presto/PRESTO_VFM_Benchmark_EN.pdf
The best comparison would, I think, be OV-chipkaart in the Netherlands ($1.4 billion in Canadian dollars) since it is nation-wide. The others listed are all 1-city fare cards and even so most of them cost more than Presto will.

Not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread, but I like to suggest that Ford should consider riding a bike to City Hall. The distance is not all that great on a mid-to-high end bike, which he could easily afford, and the pounds would literally melt off of him. Best of all, he would soon be chanting, "THE PEOPLE WANT BIKE LANES! STUDIES SHOW THAT PEOPLE WOULD BIKE MORE IF THERE WAS MORE INFRASTRUCTURE DEDICATED TO THEM. THE PEOPLE WANT BIKE LANES!"

From the Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ir_trip_to_work_or_school_new_poll_finds.html

Asked what kind of transportation they want, 35 per cent favoured subways, compared with 17 per cent who wanted LRTs. Among respondents inside Toronto, 43 per cent prefer subways. Only 9 per cent of respondents wanted more GO service, and 10 per cent preferred more local bus service in the region.

It seems that people do want "Subways, Subways, Subways" by a 2 to 1 margin.

Last edited:
Let's look at a couple examples which I think are better described as good ideas implemented poorly, but not *that* poorly:
It's a very good point. Presto might have some issues, but there are no signs it will be a complete disaster. The mistake with eHealth was doing it in the first place perhaps. Why people feel there is the need to get into these bleeding edge projects I don't know. Let someone else make all the mistakes, and then do something (which is more the Presto approach then eHealth).

Agreed, it was rushed typing. At risk youth or under priveleged would be better terms in the context of Ford's work.

Really? Don Bosco is what percentage 'at risk'? Don Bosco football is what percentage? He's not counselling JDs to keep them on the straight + narrow, for Pete's sake. He's coaching football!

WWII "got people moving". 9/11 "got people moving". Get my drift?
I don't. There were two sides to both events. Are you saying Ford is creating a dangerous movement like Nazism or Islamofacism that the rest of society will be asked to rise up and counter; or that Ford is in fact leading the rise against a dangerous movement of big, tax and spend cradle to grave, nanny state government?

From the Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ir_trip_to_work_or_school_new_poll_finds.html

It seems that people do want "Subways, Subways, Subways" by a 2 to 1 margin.

Want is the key word. I also want a subway under each arterial road in Toronto! I want a million dollars each year! I want to live in a monster house! I want a Rolls-Royce! I don't want to wear eyeglasses, but I need them. We all want something, but do we need it and can afford it is another matter. This has been argued before.

We can't put a subway where it is wanted, but where it is needed and can afford it. If we can't put in a subway, then a light rapid transit line is better than none.,

Last edited:
Woohoo! Thanks all, got the hang of it. Very tedious so far getting it done, but hopefully I find a rythm to it. edit - Good gravy this was a lot of work. Once the summer comes I'll try to shut my yap and just take photos........then again, I'll have to learn how to post photos then, but it's got to be easier than multiple quotes.

Not sure why you call it a garbage strike - there were 24,000 workers on strike, and only a small fraction were dealing with garbage. There was no garbage collection for about 6 weeks - it's hard to imagine this impacted most residents much - personally I simply stacked the newsprint in the basement, and put the rest in the blue bin. I had a second green bin that got pressed into action, and had an extra garbage bag of stuff in the basement by the end, that I'd never got around to taking to one of the nearby facilities. Now, it if had gone on much longer, I'd have had to have started taking a lot of stuff to the collection facility ... but it was hardly a big deal.

Everyone called it the garbage strike, yes there were other depts on strike as well, but garbage is what people see (and smell). Also, right out of the gate, the garbage workers made a name for themselves:

"Garbage has turned into a flashpoint only one steamy day into the city workers' strike, with furious trash-lugging residents being blocked from promised access to transfer stations and then, after dropping the garbage and trying to leave, being handed $380 tickets."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/06/22/keep_your_trash_citizens_told.html

Basically, from day one. The garbage workers became 'the face' of the strike for the union - and that union royally pissed off the suburbs.

Your missing something here ... Miller fought the city workers, and that's what caused him the issues. If he'd have simply rolled over before the strike, without forcing the concessions on sick days, this would have been a non-issue.

Nope, even the Star's editorial board piled on Miller for how he handled it (boy I bet they regetted this editorial considering what came 16 months later):

"Last September, city council's labour relations committee approved the option of phasing out this benefit. That's now being done by closing off the sick bank to new employees while keeping older workers' rights intact.

But this game-changing option wasn't tabled until more than three weeks into the strike. Until then, Mayor David Miller and the city's negotiators had doggedly stuck to a demand that the sick bank be eliminated outright, with employees partly compensated for lost days."

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2009/08/31/bitter_fruits_of_garbage_strike.html

Miller basically tried to play bluff poker with the unions, and he blew it, causing the strike, only to cave in later and the huge backlash against him was the result. Yes, a lot of the reasons for the suburbs being mad were the actions of the garbage strikers, but they also realized that because of how Miller handled it, it shouldn't have come to a strike in the first place - or he should have stuck to his guns on the sick days. By then people were tolerating and used to the strike and knew winter was coming (smell goes away) making it even more tolerable.

Miller was the author of his own demise - he announced his departure less than a month after the strike was resolved, that wasn't a coincidence. If you trust wiki, it states almost 80% wanted Miller replaced because of how he handled the strike in a poll shortly after the strike. Miller may have already been contemplating departure, but the strike sealed the deal IMO. Then, Ford shows up, says he'll privatize garbage, balance the budget and put subways into the 'burbs' and bingo, here we are. Like i said, if they could have trained a monkey to say balance the budget, unions bad and subways! subways! subways!, it'd be mayor. The suburbs had woken up, and all they knew was, Miller was bad, Ford good........

He appears truthful? He's been caught in so many lies. During his campaign he talked of having to leave university a couple of courses short of graduating. When the truth came out, he dropped out in first year. That's truthful? That's falsifying a resume, and it's an automatic firing offence almost anywhere. And the lies have kept coming. Not political bending of the truth - but simple, mindless, unnecessary lies.

From what I described and outlined above, no one cared at the time what his indiscretions were, they just wanted the anti-Miller - A 4+ year old DUI while on vacation didn't matter - he was on vacation, number one. Number two, he wasn't Miller. *** I'm defintitively NOT saying DUI is good or even acceptable, I'm just saying, everyone was anti Miller at the time, and Ford had portrayed himself as leader of the anti-Miller club. As for his indiscretions since the election, some are overblown and some he should definitely wear ( we've already covered a lot of these) and hopefully voters consider all of this next year, but 'technically' there is no reason he should be removed from office. - If our laws were better, yes, there'd be a lot more politicians in jail and Ford might be out of office. On the other hand, have you ever seen a mayor with this much scrutiny? Yes, being mayor, makes you a public spotlight, but seriously, the man can't fart some days without it being news. And this is where he's recovering voters, he's become the persecuted victim (again) in a lot of peoples minds. With all the litigation sitting at 0 for 3, He's regaining his support because of his perceived persecution.

In a perfect world, we have a centre candidate show up, not Vaughn, Chow or Ford. The Pendulum has been swinging too violently in the last few elections, we need someone down the middle that can negotiate. I don't envy whoever that may be. At least half the people will always be mad at them.

As for the budget, yes it's unfortunate Del Grande quit, but he wanted out irregardless of the Ford vote (Ford's vote certainly didnt help). Ford was playing politics with his vote. He still had one more verdict to come down, if I recall, regarding him getting booted out of office. So he voted for the no tax increase so he could run on it if he lost the last case and an election happened.

As for Miller's budgetary differences. Here's another article I just found that outlines a lot of the points I was trying to make.

"The entire budget process has been opened up for the better. Torontonians learned back on November 29 that their annual tax bill would rise by 1.95 per cent (later revised to two per cent), but the real story that day wasn’t the size of the increase. It was the timing of the announcement. During Miller’s tenure, the annual tax increase, along with every other detail of the municipal budget, was kept under wraps until February. It’s a crucial difference in management style. Miller waited so he would know exactly how much money he had left over from the previous year. Ford doesn’t want to know, because he believes not knowing will force the city to spend more cautiously."

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/in...lip-side-of-ford-philip-preville/#more-191771

Ford isn't counting on the surplus every year. He's treating it like gravy at the end of the year (which I much prefer). City council doled out a bunch to groups and organizations last fall.

Coaching football, counting faeries on the head of a pin, it doesn't matter. He's doing something - visible. Miller never did that. True, Miller may have contributed more to charity's financially, but in the papers, people see it as Ford helping students. Miller never had Ford's type of 'free' publicity.

Right or wrong, Ford coaches football and the general public eats it up. You can mock him all you want, it sells Ford's brand. I find it odd, everyone mocks Ford as stupid and brainless, but his PR machine continues to mow opponents over. Rhetorical question - if he's so dumb, how'd he become mayor? I've got to assume you think a majority of Toronto's population is also stupid, because they voted for him........

Coaching football, counting faeries on the head of a pin, it doesn't matter. He's doing something - visible. Miller never did that. True, Miller may have contributed more to charity's financially, but in the papers, people see it as Ford helping students. Miller never had Ford's type of 'free' publicity.

Right or wrong, Ford coaches football and the general public eats it up. You can mock him all you want, it sells Ford's brand. I find it odd, everyone mocks Ford as stupid and brainless, but his PR machine continues to mow opponents over. Rhetorical question - if he's so dumb, how'd he become mayor? I've got to assume you think a majority of Toronto's population is also stupid, because they voted for him........

IMO Ford isn't too bright, but he has a fairly savvy political team behind him. Kouvalis and the PCs crafted the message and helped him win the election while Towhey guides him along for better or for worse. To top it off, you have the Sun's endless rah-rahing of Ford acting as a non-official propaganda wing- there's really no wonder that the poorest in Toronto support Ford wholeheartedly. Really, I haven't seen a newspaper so wholeheartedly supporting a politician before. Even the Star had quite a few criticisms of Miller. Meanwhile, the Globe is frustratingly indecisive on Ford and the National Post supports him reluctantly.

IMO anyone running against Ford needs to watch out for Kouvalis. That man has no limits on what he'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back