News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I've also heard some of this has to do with him misusing his office. What have you heard about the two May 21st attacks against Fab and Harrun? I heard the same person who organized MacIntyre's prison beat down could be behind those incidents as well.

Payman?

I ruffled the feathers of one of my TPS sources earlier this week when I exasperated on social media that Toronto Police were letting Rob Ford get away with blatant infractions of the law while the Vancouver Police Department got Ford for walking across the street. That lead to my source becoming more candid than usual and assuring me that Ford would not get away and that minor charges were not being acted on immediately to build a longer record that demonstrates disrespect for the law that will be utilized in a larger trial. Just because a charge was not made on the spot (DUI, public urination, etc) doesn't mean that it will not be in the future. Evidence was taken and witnesses (detectives) gave statements.

Further, I've been told that warrants were indeed granted for Ford's cell and ON Star records and that the TPS is meticulously putting together a case to be presented to the Crown. The question isn't whether or not charges will be laid but when. You heard it here folks: Rob Ford will be charged. It's just a matter of wrapping up the investigation.

I wonder if Chief Blair will afford Rob Ford the courtesy of requesting him to come in voluntarily or if they'll make a big show out of arresting him while ensuring that people (including the media) will be watching. Blair has total personal discretion in that decision and given how Rob Ford has not afforded the Chief that courtesy by deliberately attacking him and given what's at stake for the TPS's reputation, I think that the Chief will elect to have the arrest made either at City Hall or at a public event with the Press around. It could also happen at Ford's house, with the TPS leaking to trusted members of the press when it's going to happen. This will be an arrest of historical importance so I can't imagine the Chief not making sure there's a record of it since he has the benefit of foresight.

I was growing concerned that this vile man was going to once again get away without being held responsible for his actions but I'm now optimistic that his luck is finally over.

Please please please please please let this happen.

Just reading some of the twitter chatter on the event at UTSC. One of them said that there were cheers for low tax rhetoric. Now, assuming that most of the audience are students, I can't figure out why they would cheer so hard for something that doesn't directly affect them. I can't imagine too many students buying and owning property, so other than them really caring about the factors contributing to how much mommy and daddy can afford to give them in allowance, what gives? Am I missing something here? Or am I correct in my assumption that many people have absolutely no idea how taxes work and what money goes where?

Just reading some of the twitter chatter on the event at UTSC. One of them said that there were cheers for low tax rhetoric. Now, assuming that most of the audience are students, I can't figure out why they would cheer so hard for something that doesn't directly affect them. I can't imagine too many students buying and owning property, so other than them really caring about the factors contributing to how much mommy and daddy can afford to give them in allowance, what gives? Am I missing something here? Or am I correct in my assumption that many people have absolutely no idea how taxes work and what money goes where?

Almost entirely the last part. They have been paying taxes on everything they have ever bought. That that is not what Ford actually means is lost on them (the cheerers) as it is with Ford Nation, and may well be with Ford himself.

I think most people realize property tax affects cost-of-living even when you do not personally own property. I rent for the time being, but I have little reason to doubt that property tax affects what I pay for rent, and the costs of things I purchase from businesses that own or lease property.

I think most people realize property tax affects cost-of-living even when you do not personally own property. I rent for the time being, but I have little reason to doubt that property tax affects what I pay for rent, and the costs of things I purchase from businesses that own or lease property.

That's fair, although being student aged (ish) myself, I would disagree on your point that my demographic would actually factoring that in haha. I definitely notice income tax and sales tax more. Heck, TTC fares should mean way (waaaay) more to anyone under 30 than municipal tax.

I just feel like "don't like him personally, but he saves me money" is an even worse argument coming from millennials, and possibly explaining to young people about how taxes work would change some minds.

That's fair, although being student aged (ish) myself, I would disagree on your point that my demographic would actually factoring that in haha. I definitely notice income tax and sales tax more.

As you should. If you owned a property worth $300,000 in Toronto in 2013, you'd be paying about $2200 in property tax, ~$1600 of which would go to the city. The median family income in 2011 in Toronto was close to $70000 and if you were such a household, you would be paying nearly triple that $2200 (6592.95) just on the first tax bracket of just your federal income taxes in 2014. You'd pay some more to the feds, then a little bit less to the province. And god forbid you drink, smoke, or purchase lots of gasoline.

It's an expensive country, man. That's partially why all of this squabbling over minutia in the city budget that has become Rob's trademark is ridiculous compared to the billions thrown around on poorly planned infrastructure (I really couldn't possibly hate on the Scarborough Subway more than I already do so I'll omit the tired argument for brevity)

Someone got to pay for our famous "universal" health care system.

Someone got to pay for Harper's follies (especially the senate, his fighter jets, and advertising for non-existent projects under the Canada Action Plan), Ontario Liberals' follies, and Rob Ford's follies.

Canada is not the cheapest country in the world. We have to pay for all the benefits governments bring. Without taxes, how can the poor be able to have basic necessities?

Last edited:
Canada is not the cheapest country in the world. We have to pay for all the benefits governments bring. Without taxes, how can the poor be able to have basic necessities?

I don't think anyone here will argue against that. I think most posters here, myself included, are in favour of taxes that pay for services. My personal vendetta is with the anaemic TTC subsidies, which cause service shortfalls for everyone and ultimately downloads costs through fare hikes to the most cost-sensitive members of society.

People rightfully get a bit crotchety when funds raised through taxation are squandered, such as the F35 purchase you mentioned. One of the biggest problems I have is that we care about tens of thousands of dollars in senate scandal, and politicians like Rob Ford care about things like free Metropasses for councillors. This diverts the attention away from huge failed or short-sighted programs like the F35 purchase, like the gas plants and ORNGE, like the gun registry, and like the Scarborough subway. Literally billions and billions of dollars mismanaged at each level of government but people find time to bitch about the small stuff.

Still, any large bureaucracy has inefficiencies. Doubt any of us could fix it if we tried.

Last edited:
You'd pay some more to the feds, then a little bit less to the province. And god forbid you drink, smoke, or purchase lots of gasoline.

Pretty much, which is why students voting (or at least in this case cheering) for Ford over taxes gives me pause. Anecdotally, I don't know anyone under the age of 30 that would vote for him, if they even vote at all, so I'm probably fussing over nothing. But if I do have an encounter, I'll probably try this approach. If they care so much about their tax dollars, they should at least know how it works.

The "ways I am". Unless a typo from Dale, this is not only a classic Fordian malapropism, but a great title for his memoir. Because he has so many: Drunken Stupor Rob, Belligerent Threatening Rob, Bunbaclot Rob, Crack Rob, Schoolyard Urinating Rob, Lying Rob, Rob The Eternal Victim, best Mayor Ever. Ever. Ever.

It also makes me imagine Ford drunkenly rapping along to Eminem: 'I am whatever you says I am ... I dunno, it's just the ways I am'.

University Of Toronto students cheering for Ford? That kinda blows my mind because I just can't picture our (so called) brightest students being so stupid. I know that the quality of students has been plunging but sadly, I didn't realize they had fallen that low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back