News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad, isn't it? I was born and raised in Toronto (Rexdale, actually - when it was a sleepy suburb - our backyard abutted Martin Grove Road when it still had a gravel surface) and there was only one instance of racial prejudice I ever experienced. I was a child and there was a bully in the school that just needed to pick on someone. He chose me, but I was taught to always consider the source and did not take it to heart. The best defence against ignorance is education. My parents appreciated the opportunities Canada offered. They passed this respect on to all of us and we have all succeeded in embracing a strong sense of civic responsibility and national pride. Rob Ford is an anomaly that will, eventually, disappear into the whispering dust of time. The rest of us will continue to live our lives with honour and grace.

<stepping off soapbox now>. Thanks for humouring me.

Let's keep in mind some past representation of that stretch of Etobicoke: Liberal Len Braithwaite, the first black person elected to the Ontario Legislature.

I imagine that there are many on this thread who are significantly more knowledgeable about such matters, so I'm putting out a request.

As many of you know, the search feature on this otherwise fantastic forum really sucks. What I would really, really, really like to do is have the information that appears on these pages in a format similar to an Excel sheet. Nothing fancy, just four columns (Date, Time, Author, Comment) for all comments going back to the beginning. The purpose is simply to have a more user-friendly experience while doing background research.

I have asked UT for this data, but it's not clear that they have it in a handy format. As mentioned, I only want the information that's freely available on the page, so I could do a massive amount of copying and pasting. The problem with that approach is that, in addition to being a massive amount of copying and pasting, the linebreaks cause massive headaches when pasting into an Excel sheet. There are other complications, but suffice to say it's incredibly time-consuming.

So, if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to crack this nut, I'm all ears.

Who cares whether winning the election would help Rob stay sober? Someone should explain to the guy that the mayorship is not a self-help program.

exactly... he's just setting up another opportunity to be victimized. i.e. he'll see us as responsible for his downward spiral after the election.

Sad, isn't it? I was born and raised in Toronto (Rexdale, actually - when it was a sleepy suburb - our backyard abutted Martin Grove Road when it still had a gravel surface) and there was only one instance of racial prejudice I ever experienced. I was a child and there was a bully in the school that just needed to pick on someone. He chose me, but I was taught to always consider the source and did not take it to heart. The best defence against ignorance is education. My parents appreciated the opportunities Canada offered. They passed this respect on to all of us and we have all succeeded in embracing a strong sense of civic responsibility and national pride. Rob Ford is an anomaly that will, eventually, disappear into the whispering dust of time. The rest of us will continue to live our lives with honour and grace.

<stepping off soapbox now>. Thanks for humouring me.

I liked your soapbox. Spoken with honour and grace indeed. Hear! Hear!

Just infuriating.
Why can't the other mayoral candidates simply say what you have just written in one sentence - either through the media or during a debate. Fords nonsense is so easily refuted yet all of the candidates are astonishingly ineffective at pointing out his absolute inability to do his job as an executive.

Exactly! Not one of them have pointed out how shouting at piles of garbage doesn't solve the problem. Or how touring a TCHC building doesn't fix anything.

I'm stunned that none of the candidates (that I'm aware of) have proposed a customer service initiative in their platforms. It's the ONE THING that Ford points to that has popular appeal that no one else has touched him on yet. Any one of the candidates could blow him out of the water just by promising to review and improve 311 response.

Urrrgh. Same problem, lol. That 'undefended' border of ours has plenty of copyright defense, apparently. I've now found two Super Ford Brothers 'Game Levels' posted out there by 22 Minutes, though, both great. So thanks again!

Hmmm.....that's strange cos it worked for me. And I'm pretty sure we live on the same side of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back