News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes more police presence and tougher punishment is the solution, because it works so well in American cities.

works in Japan really well. :D

Yes more police presence and tougher punishment is the solution, because it works so well in American cities.
works in Japan really well.

If there's one thing I love about asian culture it's how safe and trusting it is.
I can leave my laptop on the table at a busy coffee shop while I #2 without worrying about it. Getting shot on the subway is the last thing that would ever happen, police or no police.

not all of asia. Try leaving your stuff around in china. It will be gone in no time. I lost a camera cuz I left it in front of my seat. I noticed I forgot it when I left the boat. I went back and it was gone. All in less than 5 min. It was a 10 yr old camera but it got stolen.

If there's one thing I love about asian culture it's how safe and trusting it is.
I can leave my laptop on the table at a busy coffee shop while I #2 without worrying about it. Getting shot on the subway is the last thing that would ever happen, police or no police.

A lot of us remember a Toronto that was like that too.

Shooting suspect surrenders

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/580893

Feb 02, 2009 05:33 AM
SUNNY FREEMAN
STAFF REPORTER

A suspect in last month's Osgoode subway shooting turned himself into police last night.

Curt John, 21, is accused of firing three shots on a busy subway platform on Jan. 22, sending a 19-year-old victim to hospital with bullet wounds in his thigh and abdomen.

John walked into Toronto police 31 Division headquarters near Finch Ave. W. and Hwy. 400 just after 11 p.m. with his lawyer. He was arrested shortly afterwards and charged with 12 offences, including attempted murder.

It is believed that John and the victim travelled together on a Jane St. bus to Downsview station before taking the subway south to Osgoode, where the two had an altercation before the shooting.

Police last week urged John to turn himself in and released video surveillance footage from the Downsview and Osgoode stations.

John was also wanted on other charges, including accessory to a murder in the shooting death of Dominic Shearer-Hanomansingh, who became the city's 37th homicide victim in July last year.

John also faces charges related to a carjacking on Jan. 28 and a robbery on Nov. 27.

He is scheduled to appear in court at Finch Ave. W. this morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

He's been wanted for some time now, for serious crimes, too.

Now we get to see whether the justice system considers a consistently dangerous offender to be a danger to society and acts accordingly.

I'm not holding my breath.

So, these people who live in such dire straits that they must resort to crime to live, now have the money to hire lawyers now... :D

The lawyer likely told him to do so to perhaps play the compassion card and try to get him off the hook.

The man is a dangerous offender and should be locked up for life...

So what, only the rich can have lawyers because they have money to afford them? Everyone is entitled to have legal aid as far as I know. The lawyer probably told him to turn himself in in an effort to enter into plea bargain to have a reduced sentence. Yes he should be sentenced with stricter penalties for a repeat offender and put away, and let's hope that it helps to rehabilitate him.

So what, only the rich can have lawyers because they have money to afford them?

Apparently, yes. Do you know what lawyers charge per hour?

Yes he should be sentenced with stricter penalties for a repeat offender and put away, and let's hope that it helps to rehabilitate him.

rehabilitate???

I think you should stop smoking the pot, and came out of your dream man.... :rolleyes:

Assuming there's no shocking change in the results of determining his guilt over this and the other charges I'd have to agree that rehabilitation shouldn't be the goal at this point--the goal should be protecting society.

You never know.

This type of crime is largely carried out by young men. Time in jail and a more advanced age on release may contribute to a change in attitude.

Hopefully.

Subway gas attacks on the other hand...

A lot of us remember a Toronto that was like that too.
The same Toronto that hasn't seen crime rates this low in 30 years?

rehabilitate???

I think you should stop smoking the pot, and came out of your dream man.... :rolleyes:

Yes, rehabilitate, what a crazy idea. Here's another, let's lock him up for 25 years until he's 46. And then, after spending more than half his life living behind bars, he may have come to realize that some of those choices he made were not the most thought out ideas.

Or instead, he stays away from society for another 20 odd years costing us taxpayers even more money.

....passes to the left

Back