News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I notice that there are some threads in the Calgary Building's forum which don't show up under the regional or world building forums. I assume that this is because the threads in question were started by a user (Surrealplaces) and not an admin. Are these threads not automatically funneled into the regional forums, and if not is there some method by which the mods/admin can be automatically notified that a new thread has been created and requires tagging?

you are absolutely right, @Ramako and we were just talking about that.

Our project database automatically generates a dynamic thread whenever we create a new project which shows up in all of the regional areas and in the dynamic height forums on the front page. If a user creates the thread before we do, then it will just sit in the city building forum until we attach it to the database (this is where height and location info is pulled from). We're just figuring out that process to make sure we can make those threads work, and then we will definitely need to find a way to make sure mods can make sure things get filtered into the right places as soon as possible.

The page size doesn't always match up with the screen size. It's very close but on some pages, it seems to be slightly cut off. Sometimes on the left hand side, and sometimes on the right.

screen.jpg

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 169
On mobile (OS9 on a 6plus, using Chrome) Not seeing a watches thread link in the breadcrumb trail. Do I have to set up new watched threads or will they carry over from UT?

Opening this thread caused Chrome to crash

Lots of scrolling on mobile because of the frequency of large ads

When in a project thread, is it possible to make the label on the browser tab say the name of the thread rather than "Forum | SkyriseCities"? That's currently how it works at UrbanToronto and it makes it easier to identify what thread you're reading if you've got multiple thread tabs open at the same time.

On the map, I think you need to explain what those numbers mean. I'm assuming they represent the number of entries / project per continent. Also, zooming in isn't very meaningful either. If I zoom in on North America once, for example, I expect the map to break down to major urban area, i.e. NYC, LA; then zooming in on a specific major urban area should bring me to Brooklyn, Manhattan, Pasadena, Burbank, etc.; then zooming in again should pinpoint each project It may make sense to add another level, i.e. country and / or states and provinces. The zoom function is very imprecise now. I love maps so I'd like this to work well.

On a more general note, the site looks amazing and the UX is excellent from what I've experienced of it so far.

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys! We've done a lot of tweaking this weekend, so please let us know if things are different than before but still not quite right (@condovo your post came in post-tweaking, so give us a little time to get back to you on this one.) It's a work in progress and we really really appreciate all of your thorough new eyes!

Glad to report that I am getting email notifications of new posts on watched threads after reading on my phone. On UT, I only get notifications after reading new posts via computer or iPad

Will there be an option to collapse/expand the main forum window? With the long list of all of the countries and cities, it makes for significant scrolling, particularly on mobile

I'll add that to our phase 2 wishlist, @PinkLucy! We've been really fiddling with that City/Country list to figure out how best to show what's available to new visitors without totally slowing down regular users, and I think understanding how different people engage the home page will really help us out with that. For example, I always just head straight to New Posts, so I don't notice the long home page, but if lots of people are doing lots of scrolling, then we want to figure out some quicker options for them.

Toronto appears under the Forum Issues section. Is Toronto an issue?

Toronto is an issue! Actually we need to integrate Toronto in and we're waiting until the last minute to do so. It will affect the look of the UT forum so we don't want the bulk of UT people to see what's up just yet.

Comments from our developer @Ramako @Surrealplaces @PinkLucy @Redroom Studios @junctionist

Just following up on some of the recent feedback...

Ramako:
To get user created threads to show up in the dynamic thread sections, you just need to attach the thread to the project, and then re-publish the project to change the thread title and set all the thread data (which gets it to show in these sections). This will have to be a standard moderation step once a user thread becomes "official".
I made a change to compensate for when the forum scrolls to a post, so that the post doesn't end up under the header. FYI, pages with loading images will still tend to throw it off a bit, and that's a browser issue that you'll get even on the UT forum.
As for the scrollbar under the header, there's not much that can be done about that, but scrolling using a mouse wheel or with gestures on a trackpad works fine.
Forum titles will now be the tab titles after the forum page has loaded.
Surrealplaces:
Actually, the site seems to run fine under Opera as well, so I have no idea why he's getting that weird looking page. I'm going to take a guess that he's got something irregular going on with his setup, like some kind of browser extension that's preventing the page from displaying properly. So I would ask him to disable any browser extensions and try again, and if no one else is seeing pages like that I wouldn't worry.
PinkLucy:
Watched threads from UT will carry over. On SRC you can get to your watched thread list (among other things) by going to the Account Settings link in the user slider (and then if you're on mobile tap "Your Account" for the options list).
RedroomStudios:
Editing a post does take you to a new page, because the inline editing overlay doesn't fit very well with the site header/footer. It takes you back once you're done editing though.
I changed the project and city page "Join The Discussion" link (and city thread links) to open in new tabs instead of the same window.
junctionist:
Ctrl-Click (or Command-Click on macs) to open links in a new tab won't work in some spots like the menu, but this is very common on many websites. It's really a weakness in how all browsers handle click events, but like he mentioned you can always just right-click and choose to open a link in a new tab.

The page loading bar seems unnecessary. I hope it doesn't make the final version of the website.

I don't see a page loading bar?

Sometimes when I click on the link from the email alert I get a 404 error; happens on my iPad and iPhone (both running iOS 9.1) but so far not on my laptop (MacPro running Chrome on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Sometimes when I click on the link from the email alert I get a 404 error; happens on my iPad and iPhone (both running iOS 9.1) but so far not on my laptop (MacPro running Chrome on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

This is most likely an alpha error. If the link tries to open within your mail app, then you probably haven't recently visited skyrisecities.com/alpha from that browser. It's how the site stays locked down, but it temporarily messes up email clickthrough. Once we go public (ie. remove the barrier created by /alpha), this should clear itself right up. We're planning to do that this week.

Back