News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I was conversing with somebody from San Francisco on reddit that I reached out to regarding housing in the city. He's checked out the site and here's a few quick comments he sent me:

I've been waiting for something like your map section for a long time, but it has at least two glaring usability problems right from the start: When I loaded the map, it looked like you only had data for Kansas City and Chicago, because that's where the circles with the numbers were showing up. I was like, "Oh, too bad they don't have any data for San Francisco yet." I even zoomed in to check. It wasn't until I saw San Francisco properties in the listings that I went back and zoomed all the way in.

You should make it more clear to users viewing a zoomed-out view that the circle applies to the entire country, not just the city it happens to be placed on.

Also, I see different colored pushpins on the map but no clue as to what they colors mean. How about a legend?

You know what would be the coolest thing in the world?

If I could go to a map like this and toggle an overlay that showed buildings that are proposed / under construction.

I did point out where the legend/filter buttons can be found, but maybe they're not obvious enough? Perhaps there's a different icon we can use to indicate the legend.

Are forum titles supposed to turn bold when there are new unread posts in one of the threads within? If so, it's not happening for me in any of the Buildings subforums.

The "Go to first unread message" button next to thread has stopped working for me. It takes me to the right page in the thread but stays at the top of the page rather than auto scrolling to the newest post.

I like the layout of SkyriseCities. I wish there was an option to minimize certain subforums. Frankly I don't want to have to scroll through Africa and Asian cities to reach London, Paris, Toronto, Vancouver, New York forums. (Likewise here with the Real Estate section)

I was looking closer at the layout of SRC. I think you should merge South America, Central America and Caribbean sections together. (Latin America and Caribbean?)

Central America and Caribbean are going to be deader sections, but the user still has to scroll past them to reach ME, Europe and North America.

The "Go to first unread message" button next to thread has stopped working for me. It takes me to the right page in the thread but stays at the top of the page rather than auto scrolling to the newest post.

This problem is still persisting. It only occurs on SRC, not UT. Happening every time in Chrome and most of the time in Firefox.

Last edited:
I was looking closer at the layout of SRC. I think you should merge South America, Central America and Caribbean sections together. (Latin America and Caribbean?)

Central America and Caribbean are going to be deader sections, but the user still has to scroll past them to reach ME, Europe and North America.

That's a thought.

When browsing on mobile (iOS 9), tapping the utility bar at the top of the screen typically scrolls a webpage back to the very top. Doesn't seem to do that with this site.

This isn't an issue but rather just a question. What is the criteria used for cities trending? This is only a curiosity.

For example today I looked at the list of cities trending and Edmonton is at the top, so I went to the Edmonton section to see what's new, and there has been no new info in the last few days. I also went to look at Melbourne and the same thing, no new info since the last time I looked at that area, but it is up near the top of the list.

Cheers.

What is the criteria used for cities trending?
Good question!

Right now this is pulling from traffic. So those cities are trending because people are looking at the pages for those places in the City Database. At this stage, it's probably a safe bet that we're currently working on a story for that city if it's trending but you don't see anything new yet.

Back