News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

When editing a post, the editing field doesn't display the actual BB Code that I originally used to write the post but instead shows the images, links, font colours, etc. in the editing field as they display in the thread. I find it awkward to edit that way. Is there a way to disable this?

The site seems to be designed for mobile only. It's much too big on a computer display. There also appear to be layout issues with the forum:

trhnu6l.png

I'm on a 27" iMac using Safari.

I've also noticed that shortcuts on a Mac don't seem to work. Holding command while clicking a link should open that link in a new tab but the shortcut is ignored.

Safari is also unable to recognize articles and doesn't enable the Reader View. Most news sites and blogs have this enabled which makes it much easier to read an article formatted for reading without distractions. I believe that it may be associated with RSS.

The site seems to be designed for mobile only. It's much too big on a computer display. There also appear to be layout issues with the forum:

trhnu6l.png

I'm on a 27" iMac using Safari.

Regarding the size of the page, if you're on a Mac, using the CMD - (minus) shortcut brings the size of the layout down to the perfect reading size. It just feels very clunky at its current size. One step down suddenly makes it legible and easier to process visually.

I have no problem with the display using Chrome on a MacBook pro (15"), but the display is definitely different using Safari. In fact, most of the time I can't even get it to load in Safari.

I like how the comments in the news stories uses the same login as in the forums. On UrbanToronto, it feels like two different sites and so I comment less directly in stories.

Thanks guys! A little behind on feedback. Are you having trouble loading the entire site in Safari, @PinkLucy?

These are good details. @MetroMan, I'll let you know when we have more info to share. Glad you like the new comments system!

I'm having trouble with Safari and Chrome on Mac as well. The breadcrumbs at the top aren't working for me anymore. I can get back to the main page by clicking 'Forums', but if I'm in the Tokyo section for example, I can't get into Japan or Asia by clicking those links.

I replicated the loading loop when clicking through to a city page from the project database results list, but haven't been able to replicate otherwise. Interesting stuff, Safari.

I replicated the loading loop when clicking through to a city page from the project database results list, but haven't been able to replicate otherwise. Interesting stuff, Safari.
It's why I avoid it :)

I only tried it to see if there was a difference between using Chrome and Safari for this site.

When editing a post, the editing field doesn't display the actual BB Code that I originally used to write the post but instead shows the images, links, font colours, etc. in the editing field as they display in the thread. I find it awkward to edit that way. Is there a way to disable this?
Here's the word:
There is a way to see the original BB code when you edit your posts. You just have to disable the rich editor in your preferences: Click on the user icon in the menu, then go to Account Settings->Preferences and uncheck "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages". You'll get a simple text editor that doesn't alter the post content.

This does disable it across the board though, so the editor that you use to make new posts will change as well.

Back